WTF? This is outta hand!

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
This is certainly no breaking news but goddamnit, aren't cd prices out of this fucking world lately? I mean, I download but I still want to buy the cds. Since The End moved to NY, they've added $2-$5 per cd. I went to Strangeland Records in DC this week and they're selling cds for $16.99+. I look online at places like NEH and new releases are $21.99? And people have the fucking nerve to bitch about "downloading in the industry"?? You've got to be fucking kidding me. Has it registered with anyone else around here that a cd costs 1/5 of $100? 1 fucking 5th. The only technology that continues to climb after development.

My personal favorite, though, is ebay where I can get a cd for $5.90 plus $4.50 shipping and then $3.00 each additional cd. 3 fucking dollars EACH ADDITIONAL???? I better have some motherfucker drive to my house, ring my doorbell, hand me those cds and thank me for purchasing from their listing for that kind of shipping. There's a place out of the UK that sells at $4.92 + $7.99 shipping and a mere $5.99 each additional. Those cds better come gold plated for that price. I just don't get it. I know people in business need to make money to survive but music is a fucking comfort and not a goddamned necessity.

What put it completely in perspective for me was that after going to IKEA (yes, I know, it's IKEA, but still...) I discovered that I could buy a bed w/ mattress for the cost of 7 cds. Out of this fucking world.

Thanks for hearing me bitch. :mad: :err: :cry: :cry:

It's not the only technology. Movie theaters in my area enjoy raising prices every few months. Some just hit $10 a ticket. I can wait 3 months and spend less on a DVD than it costs for 2 people to see a movie (we won't go into the cost of snacks). And then I don't have to deal with tools that go to the theater and talk because they don't like plot development or the parents that should have their 4 year old child taken away from them because they won't pay for a babysitter to watch their child while seeing an R rated film.
I remember seeing CDs regularly priced at $18.99 at Record Towns like 15 years ago. Of course, that was when they were really just starting to overcome cassettes & RT was the expensive place (much like Strawberries is still). It seems to me that you're generally screwed if you don't buy an album in the first week when places like Best Buy do their 9.99 release sales (if it's a mainstream enough album).
I group album purchases every now and then and generally spend around $60-$70 for 3 albums. It's usually a mix of decent priced album or two, expensive special editions, & then shipping tacked on. I rarely buy albums blindly these days because it's too expensive of a habit to spend that kind of money and then not enjoy the album.

It's not the only technology. Movie theaters in my area enjoy raising prices every few months. Some just hit $10 a ticket. I can wait 3 months and spend less on a DVD than it costs for 2 people to see a movie (we won't go into the cost of snacks). And then I don't have to deal with tools that go to the theater and talk because they don't like plot development or the parents that should have their 4 year old child taken away from them because they won't pay for a babysitter to watch their child while seeing an R rated film.

yeah, but... when it's a movie that Nathan Fillion is in (hint hint)... such as Waitress (hint hint)... you just HAVE to see it in the theater. :) Hint hint.

This may not be local but ya gotta give it to Prince...

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

I imagine that newspaper might have paid a pretty penny to give those CDs away for free. Considering a topic I hear often is about the falling subscription rates of newspapers, what better promotion to get people to purchase a newspaper and maybe end up becoming a subscriber. It's a better plan than the big newspaper in our area that just paid to be the sponser of the arena in downtown Albany (its new name is at least better than Pepsi Arena but it'll always be Knickerbocker in my heart).

yeah, but... when it's a movie that Nathan Fillion is in (hint hint)... such as Waitress (hint hint)... you just HAVE to see it in the theater. :) Hint hint.

I can actually see that for a reasonable price at the indy theater but the boyfriend is a tard and won't go see it with me and all my friends live several hours away to get them to go. I did just see Knocked Up, though. Alan's character was hilarious for the short time he was on the screen. Will be seeing Death At a Funeral as well to support my Firefly & Spooks veterans.

I agree completely, especially with regard to the point about shipping costs on Ebay.

I don't care how "cheap" the price of the disk is. If you're charging $7 for shipping a CD, I won't buy from you in principle. Don't try to pull a fast one over the average consumer. Even they aren't that naive.

Of course the recording industry are always the first to cry when CD sales keep going lower and lower. With this kind of crap they're pulling - I can see why this is the case.

Not only the kind of material they're trying to sell is mostly crap, but pulling these kinds of stunts on raising the price of a CD will kill it off faster than they expect.

I'm sure that when CDs first came out in the 80s that the the technology to produce them was very expensive. Over 25 years later, the technology is so commonplace that the price to actually produce a CD is dirt cheap.

But on the other hand - other costs have continued to climb. Inflation always raises the prices of things. So I'm sure that any reduction in the cost of producing the CD is offset by the cost of "doing business".

Maybe Lance will see this thread and have something to say about it.

As overpriced as these things are in the States, they're far worse overseas. This probably isn't news to any of you, but it really hits home when you're living here. If I want to buy a new release, I have to face paying 1500 yen ($12.17) for a single, or 2500-3500 yen ($20.28 - $28.40) for an album. The same holds true for DVDs, cinemas, etc.

Wherever you go, you're boned. :(

Ive been noticing the prices climbing as well.

The only high priced discs I buy are the Japanese editions.

I guess I must just be lucky. At the local record store chain here in Maryland I usually never pay more for a CD than a max of $14. I guess I don't really consider it that bad. Some times I get lucky and find something great used that's more around $5-10. They buy, sell and trade CDs, DVDs and video games and their used stuff is always in good condition.

As far as e-bay goes, yeah you get rapped on the shipping charges a bit, but even after that it's still cheaper than most other stores or web sites. And I think those sellers know that and that's why they do it.

I gave up on going out to the movies along time ago, except for this one small cinema near our house that I can get into for $6 because I still have a student ID ... although I'm sure that'll only last a few more years at best. Sometimes it's even less than 10 months between theater runs and when the movie comes out on DVD, so the wait isn't that big of a deal to me anymore. There's also so very few movies that I feel really need to be seen on the big screen.

This may not be local but ya gotta give it to Prince...

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Those "free" CDs still count as sales as far as soundscan is concerned and will put the album on the Billboard chards even though they were not technically purchased. Being in the top 40 will get the album played on more stations than would probably have picked it up on its own. Not to mention the publicity in the trades and plays on Seacrest's American Top 40. Not a bad idea.

I also hear he makes some damn good pancakes. :)

Ya may not like Prince's music, but the man is oozing talent - He can play more instruments than I have fingers n' toes... I happen to like some of his stuff - that's right I admit it!!!

And even with movies as expensive as they are, I hit the matinees (which are still about $7 but hey it's better than$10) because some movies MUST be seen on the big screen... Like 300 - that movie was made for a MASSIVE screen... And Transformers - which is totally going to kick monsterous ASS!!!!

I have given up on buying cd's. Prices are just too damned high. I support the bands I like by going to thier concerts, buying thier shirts (which are wildly overpriced as well), and other accessories, and believe it or not, doing that is much cheaper than buying a lot of cds from different bands. I download a decent amount of cd's for free, and the ones that shine, I usually buy a ticket to see that band live.

And with the movies, I buy one ticket to a movie, and usually hop to 2 other movies in the same day. Saving me money from a overpriced system. And the food is outrageous, i can buy a 24 pack of bottled water from wal mart for $3.50 and pay the same exact price for ONE at a movie theater.

Movie Theaters (as well as blockbuster) don't make their money from ticket sales (or movie rentals). they make their money from concession sales.

Why do you think blockbuster pushes candy so hard?

Movie Theaters (as well as blockbuster) don't make their money from ticket sales (or movie rentals). they make their money from concession sales.

Then why do they keep jacking up the ticket prices? You'd think they'd want to get more people in the door, so they could serve more concessions.

OK now look at my perspective.

I live outside USA (for all of those bitching about S&H) so I have two choices:

a) use snail mail (huge S&H) and get robbed in the local post office (happened three times already)

b) use a courier with and address in Miami, Fl. That add $8.41 per package under 500 g and $11.41 over 500 g (which is the roughly depending the packaging way 4-5 CDs the difference)

So for me using The End, Amazon, Redstream which have FREE S&H inside USA are definitively my best shot. Still sometimes I only found what I like at LaserCD, CD Universe, CDBaby or Metal Disc which adds me S&H for USA varying from $4.50 to $5.99 or more (then add my courier S&H)

So I'm lucky if the final product reach my hand at let's say ~$16-17 bucks which is still cheaper that any local store, plus I'm buying exactly the music I want (no wild goose chase).

Now, my income (if the government finally clean his act) is ~$10000 a year before taxes, and trust me here is no cheapy land.

So don't bitch for nothing, you are living in paradise.