WTF is wrong with old dudes at metal shows?

woosta

Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
I'm 35, so I'm no young guy by any stretch, but DAMN if these old coots who come out for shows (like many of the ones at the Jaxx Loudness show 4/1) are just the fucking scourge of metal. They are often drunk beyond anything reasonable, they're invasive, they're annoying, and they act like they've not been out of their house in 50 fucking years. Why is this?

By the way, Loudness put on a good show despite having the worst setlist of any band that I've seen in the last 10 years. They didn't play "This Lonely Heart" or "You Shook Me" and they have videos for each, they only played 1 song from "Lightning Strikes" and 2 from "Thunder in the East". What gives? Not that I wanted a nostalgia show, but it HAS been almost 20 years since they were in the USA. Some of those cds they played tracks from are just difficult as hell to find here so I don't think it was the smartest thing they could have done.

I really wanted to come to this show from the time they announced it. Of course, work caused me not to be able to. Hearing that the set sucked, I'm glad I didn't miss a super amazing show.

As for the oldies at Jaxx, I notice some people getting TRASHED throughout the night, but more than not I am usually doing the same. By the time the headliner comes on (or whoever I am there to see that night) I'm in my own little dream world anticipating the show of a lifetime. I guess the older dudes are stuck in their dream worlds too, lol! They may just be older and crazier about it. Although I haven't really noticed too many wierdos lately. Hope you somewhat enjoyed the show, though! Cheers!

I also hate the 50+ year old ladies who're usually pissdrunk at concerts, wearing disgusting clothes, thinking they're the hottest ladies at the place, ready for a "wild night of sex" or something. Jesus Christ, I saw one at the DT show last night that disgusted me to the extreme! It's like, Okay, maybe you were hot 25 years ago and all of the guys looked at you, but your outfit, smell of alcohol and plastic surgery won't really get you anything! Please, stay home!!! LOL

Really.... :puke: that does make me sick and I agree with woosta and AngraRULES. It makes me want to go up to them and ask "whats wrong with you?" (not to be rude, and go punch each one on the face, of course lol)
And of course, nothing against older people!! (the NORMAL ones)

woosta said:
I'm 35, so I'm no young guy by any stretch, but DAMN if these old coots who come out for shows (like many of the ones at the Jaxx Loudness show 4/1) are just the fucking scourge of metal. They are often drunk beyond anything reasonable, they're invasive, they're annoying, and they act like they've not been out of their house in 50 fucking years. Why is this?

Because they want to have a good time just like any other normal person?

And by the way, YOU are an "old coot" in the eyes of many concertgoers.

Be careful where you throw that rock--the walls are made of glass.

I've never really run into the 'old people' situation...but don't get me started on the fucking idiots that show up at some shows...like the damn skinheads that get all violent..when all you want to do is WATCH the show...not make people bleed.

IceQueen_ said:
Really.... :puke: that does make me sick and I agree with woosta and AngraRULES. It makes me want to go up to them and ask "whats wrong with you?" (not to be rude, and go punch each one on the face, of course lol)
And of course, nothing against older people!! (the NORMAL ones)

Normal is SO fucking boring..... :loco:

Time will tell how you age, and whether or not you opt for any enhancements, or a nip & tuck.

Old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth & enthusiasm! :heh:

J-Dubya - One of the oldies who is still 18 at heart :headbang:

I'm such a sexy beast, I'm only getting a scrotal tuck when time calls for it.

As far as old dudes at concerts goes, it just depends on how much of an ass they are.

I saw Loudness here in SF a few weeks ago and man it was aweful. Horrible setlist, even the "classics" they did sounded like shit. Akira couldn't have looked more bored playing the old stuff, and he didn't do any of the solos correctly (meaning he played something else instead of what was recorded). I understand one can get bored of playing the same solo for 20 years, but coming from a guitarist.. i'd like to see him play the solos I can practically hum in my sleep.

We left when they came out for their encore and Akira started playing "Let It Go", then stopped, laughed, and started playing another lame newer song. That pissed us off and we left. You don't start playing one of your most classic songs, and probably one of the most popular to US fans, then just stop and start something else no one knows. I don't know if they played it after that song or not but I didn't care at that point. Plus they showed up over an hour late cause as the PA guy said "they just woke up and will be here shortly".

Greykiller said:
Because they want to have a good time just like any other normal person?

And by the way, YOU are an "old coot" in the eyes of many concertgoers.

Be careful where you throw that rock--the walls are made of glass.

Having a "good time" and stumbling over me like we're fuck buddies is something that I don't see going together. It's not the "number" of the age, it's the behavior that seems to come with some of these characters. I actually saw a guy at Alice Cooper's show in Pittsburgh about 4 years ago who was dancing along like he was on Meth and he had pissed his pants by the time Cooper came on. Pissed jeans, prancing along like a goddamned elf around a mystic campfire and nothing was wrong in his mind at all.

I'll tell you what, if anyone sees me at a show, whether I'm 35 or 55, tell me I'm not the easiest motherfucker in the world to get along with. I bother nobody. If I drink, I do it in moderation, and I don't drag some old worn out hag with me who thinks she has a right to step in front of everyone up to the front rail because her tits were up above her belt buckle 20 years ago. I actually had some guy going brokeback on me trying to drape himself over my back just so he could make devil horns at Loudness. Shit, man, it's not too much to ask to control yourself a little bit is it?

I don't think it's the age that is the issue, (except for those who wanna diss the inevitable ravages of age on the human form.) What is the issue is the behavior, and bad behavior knows no age boundries. I've been trampled, spit on, pissed on, shoved and fallen over by drunks of all ages. I find the yonger ones to be more annoying because they have more energy, usually, and even less sense then the old coots. I've gone in a ladies room, where there are only 3 stalls and found 2 of them occupied by so-called hot young chicks barfing their guts out 'cause they don't know how to drink.

While I agree, much older women in very tight revealing outfits is hard on the eyes, so are younger women in outfits their figures cannot pull off, and I'm not any happier with young tits shoved in my face then old ones. I think this discussion should really be about anyones bad behavior and leave the age aspect out of it.

AngraRULES said:
I also hate the 50+ year old ladies who're usually pissdrunk at concerts, wearing disgusting clothes, thinking they're the hottest ladies at the place, ready for a "wild night of sex" or something. Jesus Christ, I saw one at the DT show last night that disgusted me to the extreme!

You must have been at the NYC show (giggle)! If so, you should have directed them to the Wax Museum in Times Square.

All kidding aside though, remember they still are a DT fan! That show had 6000 Dream Theater fans in one spot! That's absolutely amazing.

BABS said:
You must have been at the NYC show (giggle)! If so, you should have directed them to the Wax Museum in Times Square.

All kidding aside though, remember they still are a DT fan! That show had 6000 Dream Theater fans in one spot! That's absolutely amazing.

LOL EXACTLY! LOL

I don't care as much about age as behavior. There are people young and old who just plain disgust me with their fashion statements at shows, mainly people seemingly unaware that wearing cloths 5 sizes too small isnt attractive.

But also, I had a situation at the Chicago DT show where some white trash crackhead claimed I stepped on his shoe during the show, and threatened to stab me. He alleged that he had a knife and got in my face screaming he would stab me. So I promptly left and got security, and he was taken care of. I've delt with my share of assholes at concerts, but this was taking things to a whole new level. I mean, who the hell brings a blade to a concert? Clearly someone looking for trouble. Just thought I'd share as this was a first for me, and I've been to around 200 shows.

AMBR said:
I don't think it's the age that is the issue, (except for those who wanna diss the inevitable ravages of age on the human form.) What is the issue is the behavior, and bad behavior knows no age boundries. I've been trampled, spit on, pissed on, shoved and fallen over by drunks of all ages. I find the yonger ones to be more annoying because they have more energy, usually, and even less sense then the old coots. I've gone in a ladies room, where there are only 3 stalls and found 2 of them occupied by so-called hot young chicks barfing their guts out 'cause they don't know how to drink.

While I agree, much older women in very tight revealing outfits is hard on the eyes, so are younger women in outfits their figures cannot pull off, and I'm not any happier with young tits shoved in my face then old ones. I think this discussion should really be about anyones bad behavior and leave the age aspect out of it.

That bears repeating. I couldn't agree more. Bad behavior knows no age boundaries. It's really sort of prejudicial to say otherwise.

AMBR said:

HEAR,HEAR, i couldn't agree more. Being one of the "OLD DUDES", i initially took offense to this thread, but the more i read it, the more i realized it's all about behavior not age. If you want to go and make an ass of yourself then it doesn't matter how old you are, but if you want to go and just have fun, and not violate some one else's space then it doesn't matter how old you are. Just remember your behaviour relates to people who and what you are.