WTF is wrong with old dudes at metal shows?

woosta said:
I'm 35, so I'm no young guy by any stretch, but DAMN if these old coots who come out for shows (like many of the ones at the Jaxx Loudness show 4/1) are just the fucking scourge of metal.

Hey. Greg and I were at Jaxx on 4/1. He's 44 and I'm 48. We were dressed normal, he in black jeans and OUTWORLD t-shirt and me in jeans and blouse. Although the blouse showed some cleavage, I did not consider myself sleazy looking and we did not get drunk because we had a 3 hour ride back home. Most would not have thought we were old dudes as we look much younger than we are. We did complain a bit (maybe a little more than a bit) as we had to listen to the opening coverbands waiting for Loudness. I cannot say how Loudness' setlist was as I am not familiar with their music, I only went because Greg wanted me to accompany him. I also went so I could get a t-shirt and signed cd for my 23 year old son who is also a fan but could not attend.
I did see a few older people close to our age that match your description but I also saw a lot of younger ones that did as well. I know what and what I cannot wear and even though I look better than most women my age and younger, I will NOT wear a corset on corset night at PP.

Cindy

J-Dubya 777 said:
Normal is SO fucking boring..... :loco:

It depends on what you think normal is. LOL :loco:

AMBR said:
I don't think it's the age that is the issue, (except for those who wanna diss the inevitable ravages of age on the human form.) What is the issue is the behavior

Totally agree with you!

LuCinda said:
I did see a few older people close to our age that match your description but I also saw a lot of younger ones that did as well. I know what and what I cannot wear and even though I look better than most women my age and younger, I will NOT wear a corset on corset night at PP.

:kickass:
I wasn't there, but I really do understand what you are saying here. And I have to agree 100%!!! I'm 21... and for what you said there, I may say that I think exactly like you! As AMBR said before, age is not the issue... the issue is the behavior.

There is nothing more disgusting than seeing these 60 year old ladies at Dio shows thinking they are so sexy. DISGUSTING

Dr.Caligari said:
There is nothing more disgusting than seeing these 60 year old ladies at Dio shows thinking they are so sexy. DISGUSTING

You should try being me sometime. Here I am a 4'11" female and I get the old Ronnie James Dio look-alikes trying to roll up on me at the FW/QR/DT show a few years back in Chicago.

Like "this is great for my self-esteem".

LOL

I like meeting old dudes at metal shows...especially when they start talking about how they saw Exodus "back in the day at Lamours"...now thats fuckin oldschool :headbang: Its cool to talk to people who experienced metal back in its heyday.

yardleybates said:
I know you're not advocating your wife attend the festival topless !!!!!

Well, hell, if he won't, I will!! :heh:

By the way, I'm curious... what exactly qualifies as "old"? 30? 40? 90? I'm sure to y'all young'uns who are in your teens, 31 seems ancient, while to me, 50 seems younger and younger every year. How "old" were these "old guys" anyway? Just curious.

Shaye

Yngvai X said:
I like meeting old dudes at metal shows...especially when they start talking about how they saw Exodus "back in the day at Lamours"...now thats fuckin oldschool :headbang: Its cool to talk to people who experienced metal back in its heyday.

I feel you on this one, just recently at the Children of Bodom concert I was outside smoking wearing my PP shirt and guy asked me if I really went to Atlanta for concert. Of course my response fuck yeah its the highlight of year. Then we started talking about concerts and another older guy came by and something about Death. Then old guy 1 said yeah man I used to play Richard Christy, you know he is from Kansas, and I was like no fucking way. I had no idea Richeard Christy was from Kansas I thought he was from Florida, but maybe this guy was just drunk.

Also I like to have the older dudes tell em about Maiden and Priest concerts because I still havent seen either one.

lady_space said:
Well, hell, if he won't, I will!! :heh:

By the way, I'm curious... what exactly qualifies as "old"? 30? 40? 90? I'm sure to y'all young'uns who are in your teens, 31 seems ancient, while to me, 50 seems younger and younger every year. How "old" were these "old guys" anyway? Just curious.

Shaye
Well, da youngstas can say what they like, but it ain't until 60 as far as I'm concerned, and if you stay in shape, and show some common sense with fashion, who knows?

AMBR said:
Well, da youngstas can say what they like, but it ain't until 60 as far as I'm concerned, and if you stay in shape, and show some common sense with fashion, who knows?

Correct, Ann Marie. But then again, most of these "nice" ladies show absolutely no common sense when it comes to their clothing...

It's like they wanna show off what they don't have (at least not anymore)...lol

lady_space said:

Shaye

I heard a saying once. "Old is defined as 15 years older than you are today."

i'm friends with an 'old guy' who is far from the drunken old guy stereotype. he's probably one of the biggest fans, collects all cd's, comes to every show to get autographs and meet bands, even if he has to leave to go back to work. at first i thought he was both a ticket scalper and an autograph-seller, but after i got to know him it turns out he's just a huge fan. a music fan at that, cause many times he is embarassed to tell me which shows he goes to.

at one show i had to get pulled out of the front row cause i was getting crushed, but my friend will bear the bruises and kicking crowdsurfers everytime. it's funny when i read a review that says, '...and they gave the drumstick to an old guy who didnt know any of the songs'...haha! he's not exactly rocking out but if he goes to a show he has to be front row.

sometimes people think he's my dad. and he does stick out like a dad, makes me wonder what his kids think about their dad going to metal shows?

cheers to the old guys!!!

woosta said:
Having a "good time" and stumbling over me like we're fuck buddies is something that I don't see going together. It's not the "number" of the age, it's the behavior that seems to come with some of these characters. I actually saw a guy at Alice Cooper's show in Pittsburgh about 4 years ago who was dancing along like he was on Meth and he had pissed his pants by the time Cooper came on. Pissed jeans, prancing along like a goddamned elf around a mystic campfire and nothing was wrong in his mind at all.

I'll tell you what, if anyone sees me at a show, whether I'm 35 or 55, tell me I'm not the easiest motherfucker in the world to get along with. I bother nobody. If I drink, I do it in moderation, and I don't drag some old worn out hag with me who thinks she has a right to step in front of everyone up to the front rail because her tits were up above her belt buckle 20 years ago. I actually had some guy going brokeback on me trying to drape himself over my back just so he could make devil horns at Loudness. Shit, man, it's not too much to ask to control yourself a little bit is it?
I'd would have hated to deal with what you went through and have hated dealing with any age of obnoxious asshole concert-goer in the past as well. But even if you see a lot of the incosiderate drunken pricks, that you've dealt with, fit a certain age range it's still not right to generalize. I'm glad that you revised it and said "some" now. But, the way I look at it is not everyone one is a certain way, because they have a similar characteristic to other people who have caused you grief. That kind of thinking could lead to prejudice and discrimination. When I judge someone to be an asshole, it's only individually. Even if 9 out of 10 people, that you know, named "Kevin" are assholes, there still is that one that is the exception. Greykiller might be in that age range (depending on what age you call old, although I don't consider him to be old) and I never had any of those problems with him or most concert goers in their 40s and 50s. Although, if there is a HOTT, metal-lovin' Japanese chick in front of him, we might have another problem, but that's another story! :p

BTW, the way you worded that rant was funny as hell! :lol: You should review albums and concerts.

There are drunken idiots of all ages. Booze is very democratic stuff, it doesn't give privileges to the age.

It's always these kids hardly old enough to pass the bouncer on their way to the venue who don't stop amusing me. The 'ung guns in their baggy pants wearing Doc Martens or whatever with the attitude they were the ones who invented the wheel, giving grown-ups these suspicious looks: "what are you dinosaurs in here for, you dont' have a clue, this is OUR thing".

Hell, Ronnie James is 63 and still able to blow everyone out and while I'm not even close to his age, I was there to smell the fresh vinyl when his Rainbow-albums arrived in local record shops! For granted I don't need any smartass kids telling me to bugger off from the carefully chosen metal gigs I see still adequate to haul my ass in, were it old skool farts or talented kids playing.

Yippee38 said:
I heard a saying once. "Old is defined as 15 years older than you are today."

So hmmm 57? While that would have seemed old to me 10-15 years ago, it
doesn't sound THAT bad now...... I fully consider "old" to be a state of mind thing. When I was young, I got punched in the face at a Cheap Trick concert because I was wearing a Loop (radio station) shirt. They guy who whacked me was in his early 20's (& drunk). I've had some minor issues with younguns, as well, so I've seen BOTH sides of the age discrimination thing. I'll watch all you young fuggers get older at as time goes by, and if I'm not completely senile by then, the next time YOU bitch about the kiddies, or vice versa, I'll remind you of this thread. :) Those that stick with this music, that is.... :headbang:

J-Dubya - Current mental age = 70