Xbox or Ps2

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
I wanna buy a console, but I dont know whether to go for an Xbox or a Playstation 2.

I like the speed and graphics capabilities of Xbox, but I like the wide variety of games on PS2... although most of them are shit.

There is a special in next weeks Big W catalogue which has the Xbox Console, a controller, DVD remote and 3 games which are Halo, Amped., and a new one called Brute Force. Now that is a pretty good deal seeing as though the console itself is about $330, and games are about $90 each.

So at the moment, I am leaning more towards the Xbox. Anyone want to add any pros and cons for either console?

Well I am a GameCube man myself, but if it has to be between an XBOX and a PS2, then definately go the PS2. The XBOX may seem superior, but it really, really isn't. The graphics aren't even better, the XBOX has the worst frame rate of the 3 systems. The worst thing of all about the XBOX is that it has fuck all games, and even less good games. The PS2 has heaps of games with most of them shit, but it has so many that there is lots of good games. There really is crap all variety of good games on the XBOX, and most of them you can get on the PS2 anyway. The controller is also a real downer, as it is so uncomfortable to hold. I am not really a fan of the PS2 controller, but the XBOX one is shocking. On the plus side, the XBOX has the superior DVD facilities, but if you are buying it to play games it just bites the big one in my opinion.

For games, I think the GameCube is the best, but the PS2 is good too, and both shit all over the XBOX. The GameCube is also great value, but it doesn't have the DVD playback if that is a main priority. The PS2 is the most well rounded console, has the most games, and is the most popular, so you won't be at any risk buying one.

There is my 2 cents. :)

DVD doesnt bother me as I already have a kick ass dvd player.

I hear what you are saying... But I thought Xbox was supposed to shit all over PS2 in terms of playing speed and graphics and hardware and shit.

Whats so good about Gamecube? From what I have seen, there are hardly any games out on that console... and they dont seem to be pumping them out as consitantly as the other 2

Graphics wise, the XBOX is the worst of the three. Loading speed, it is the best (not that I give a shit about an extra 5 to 10 seconds loading time), and playing speed, the PS2 is the inferior. The XBOX has the most powerful hardware, but the worst frame rates which is suprising, but true. It does have the cool extras like the hard drive for mp3s and stuff, but you want a console, not a PC right?

In my opinion, the GameCube has far less games than PS2, but more than the XBOX, but they have more good games, not just heaps of mediocre ones. GameCube also has a really good range of games, from dark sci-fi to shoot em up to platform to adventure. The PS2 does as well, I just prefer the GameCube titles. IMO, the XBOX literally has only a couple of good exlusive games, with Halo being the main one, and I think Metroid Prime on the GameCube shits all over it. There is lots of GameCube games available, but because they don't sell that well in Australia compared to PS2, not all shops have them. Electronic Boutique would be ya best bet. As for pumping out games, I think the GameCube has the strongest line up of games to come, followed by the PS2, then the XBOX.

The PS2 and GameCube are both good consoles, I would just steer clear of the XBOX. :)

Gamecube would have all the licences for the games that Nintendo has done over the years, yeah? Which is what - Mario and Zelda? *yawn* :)

Im a gamecube man too, but Blitzy you are off your rocker, my brother has an Xbox and a PS2 and the Xbox has far superior graphics clarity :)

Spiff: Zelda, Pilotwings, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, Wave Race, F-Zero !:worship: Thats not counting the new Star Wars game that I saw footage of and its the best one ever :D

Personally I'd go with PS2, it has a wider range of games (and can also run PS1 games, so even more to choose from), and plus Sony are well esablished, Microsoft are new to the market, so long term I'd feel more comfortable. Xbox is more powerful (though a straight out comparison of the specs of the 2 machines is difficult, as while the PS2 has lower specs, it's chip was designed especially for handling graphics, so it's a little more efficient than the number would indicate), but personally I care more about gameplay than fancy graphics, so yeah ;)

Well I'm a PS2 owner, but that doesnt make me biased.

I think X-Box has awesome capabilites, but PS2 is still pretty fuggin' impressive. Even though i got my PS2 before X-Box, I would still have chosen PS2, because of the massive range of games, compatability with PS1 games and accessories.

I'm sure you'll have fun, no matter which machine you choose.

At present I cannot stop playing Grand Theft Auto 4: Vice City. I am living and breathing that game right now. I have developed a tough walk, and started wearing those hawaii shirts haha!

Can't wait for the NRL game to hit the shelves in September. Been hangin' for a League game for years.

Yes the Mario and Zelda titles which I still love are exclusive to Nintendo, along with awesome games like Metroid Prime, The Resident Evil series, Eternal Darkness, the F-Zero series, Mario Kart, Starfox, as Spawny said the best Star Wars games on any console, and in my opinion the console of choice for playing games such as the awesome Tony Hawk series and shoot em up TimeSplitters....and that isn't even the half of it.

I prefer the GameCube and PS2 graphics to the XBOX. All you have to do is play Grand Turismo on PS2 or Metroid Prime on GC to see why. The XBOX is a big hyped up piece of shit, and as I said before, IT HAS NO GAMES! If you are buying a games machine, buy one that actually has more than a couple of decent games. Also as I said before, the XBOX has about 2 decent exclusive titles, so all the other decent games you can get on the other consoles anyway.

The thing with Nintendo is, most people think that all the games are childish, and thats just not the case. Just because some of their signature titles are cartoony, and some of them may be aimed at a younger audience, that doesn't mean every game available is like that, and anyway, games are supposed to be fun, so I really get a kick out of playing games like Mario and Zelda....they aren't just for the younger audience. The GameCube has darker games like Metroid Prime, the Resident Evil series, Eternal Darkness, the F-Zero series, Mortal Kombat, etc that are all awesome games that can barely be matched on the other consoles.

Anyway, most people are ignorant towards Nintendo for some reason, so in any case, get a PS2 over a XBOX. Many, many more games, and many, many more GOOD games. :)

'So I've made up my mind, Iiii'm getting an Xbox. Ooh Ooh I'm gonna get an Xbox yeeeaaah!'

Hehe. Thanks for all your help guys. Blitzy, I guess the force is not stong with me. I have posted this thread on a couple of forums including the Xbox, PS2 and GC ones, and most places told me to go with the Xbox. Plua, that deal is too good to pass up

Xbox 'should' win - but they're still yet to release the promised great games.

Technically the XBOX is probably the best console (except for the frame rates), but what is a console with no games? What is a cd player with no cds? They have fuck all strong titles, and none on the way either, except Halo 2, which wont be out until next year, and is only one game. The XBOX could very well be dead by then.

Bro... There are heaps of good games on the Xbox and plenty to come. Most of the good games that get released on PS2 are on the Box too.

Nrl coming out in Sept :headbang:

And the new Star Wars game Kings of the Old Republic looks pretty sweet.

I have heard that Halo is one of the best games, and that Brute Force isnt too far behind, so that package sounds good to me. Pretty cheap for 3 games and the machine I reckon

There are a few good games and a few mediocre ones, and many shit ones. Most of the good games on XBOX are available on PS2, but not all the good games on PS2 are available on XBOX. I just think they are a shit console, and between the 2 the PS2 just has so many better games. The only thing the XBOX has going for it is the superior DVD player facilities, but if you don't care about that, I wouldn't take a second look at it.

All just my opinion, and no one is taking any notice of me, so I will just shut up. :)

I value your input here Blitzy, but you can still shove it up your ass :lol:

Nah, I kinda already had my mind up on the Xbox before I started this thread, so you are just throwing a proverbial spanner into the works. But it is interesting to see differing opinions. Most people have said go with the Xbox on other forums.....

Strangly, alot of people over at the Xbox forum suggested I get the Xbox... Funny innit'?

What did the people on the other forums say?

As I have said, most people are ignorant towards Nintendo for some reason, probably because their image I guess, but the GameCube is the superior console by far IMO, and most people don't even consider it. It is like the underground favourite in the gaming world lol.

Ok, most people have commented that the Gamecube is good and underrated, but the games are mostly Arcade style, 'kiddie' games. And alot have said that Xbox look better for graphics. They have said that you may get 5 decent games on Gamecube compared to one totally blow you away awesome game on Xbox.

Here is what people have said over at the Portnoy forum:

I faced the same question and ended up with a Playstation 2. When I got around to having enough free $$ I bought the XBox as well. I don't even considered touching the PS2 anymore, the XBox blows it away.

The Xbox graphics are *insanely* better, even with just a RCA connection, if you use the svideo or high definition input they kick all that much more @$$

The sound is what really blows me away since there is in-game dolby digital encoding for surround sound. try turning around as someone is talking to you and the voice pans in full 3D around the room as you move, relative to where the person who is talking is. It's *damn* sweet. If you have a surround sound setup there is no way any other system would even be worth thinking about.

As far as the game selection goes I think the "PS2 has more games" argument is somewhat full of crap. I have 15 or so PS2 games, and almost all of the ones I like are also on Xbox and look better there. Plus any new games worth owning are coming out on all platforms. PS2 may have more, but other than Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, I can't think of any I couldn't get on Xbox

AND

Well, I own all 3. Here's my 2 cents. GC is just plain dead - period.

PS2 has a lot of games - mostly with PS1, but who cares? Are you gonna buy PS1 games to play on your new latest and greatest PS2? Nope. Besides, the system is showing it's age - in computer life, it's an old man. Yeah it's got a lot of cool games, and a lot of current and future support, but it's still an old man.

XBOX- this just plain freakin' rules. Just look at what you get for $179.99. A hard drive music ripper, an insanely fast CPU and graphics chip, Hi-Def support, in game Dolby Digital surround (this alone makes it worth buying), a slew of connection options, widescreen T.V. support, and a whole bunch of current and future games, some exclusive to XBOX because of it's power, that will just be light years ahead of anything current. Add in the hottest LIVE support on earth and you've got a no-brainer.

Really, the XBOX is the way to go IF you are just now buying a system. If you do buy an XBOX, buy it now before Micro$oft starts producing the system with cheaper components. They've said they plan on doing this to keep costs and profit losses down. Make no mistake, the XBOX has some pretty nice premium components. Who knows what performance hit it'll take when they scale back the parts.

Here is the link to the thread if you are interested in some more opinions:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?m=228807&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

I do admit that the XBOX is technically the best, and if all you want to do is boast technical specs like these guys, then get an XBOX. If you actually want GAMES, and I agree about the PS2 arguement about more games being gay, but the fact that the XBOX has fuck all good games is my arguement. If you want a console to play games, then get one that has some good games. Whoever says the GC is 'dead' is high, as they have the strongest line up of games to come in the future, followed by the PS2, then the XBOX.

As I said before, these people have the idea that Nintendo is 'kiddie' into their heads, but the GC has some of the darkest games of the 3 consoles! *sigh*

Some people can't be swayed, I am just offering my opinion. :)