XXX hell yeah!!!

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Yo,

I've posted a thread a while ago when i said that i had the chance to trade my 5150 mkI to a XXX. Noone really supported that trade but...
Despite the answers i did trade my 5150 to a XXX and i must say guys
that the XXX rocks :headbang:
I find it to be a better amp overall,from clean to crushing leads, and i feel very satisfied with the switch.
I dont want to accomplish anything with this thread I just wanted to tell you my view now when I had the time to test the XXX out properly.
Thats all from me.

Rock on // Chris SWE

The XXX is a great amp and I can definitely see why some people would prefer it to 5150. I'd love to have both at some point, but the 5150 will always be my favorite tone.

All clips that i have heard of JSX are kind of fizzy, so i would guess the XXX.

XXX definitely sounds better but too much high end for my ears. im sure that is easily corrected with simple eqing, though.

ive been debating on what to buy for a next amp.

currently I own a Mesa Mark IV short head and running thru a 5150 cab.
Im looking into a Dual Rec. or possibly something Marhshall, but Im really not a big Marshall fan. everyone i talk to says "hell no, dont go to a Dual Rect when you have a Mark IV".....but I dont know....

I love my xxx to death. The only downside is that the gain definitely gets a little out of hand when you're quadtracking if you don't turn it down to like 8 or 9 oclock

Just for the record, I adore my JSX, and I definitely think it can do anything the XXX can and then some, seeing as how it's based on the XXX

Well the XXX and the 5150 sounds very alike.
But if you use the same settings on both amps, in my opinion the XXX sounds way better.

- A little bit more compressed
- smoother highs
- Better lows

And i have to agree that the XXX has a crazy amount of gain but as most of you know when you record you'll set the gain somewhere around 8-11 o clock' as when you record with the 5150 to get that tight heavy sounding guitars that we all love :headbang:

Here's some good settings to get it "good" sounding, you can really screw the XXX up if you use "bad" settings.

*Crunch channel*
*damping in mid setting*

XXX settings (not o' clock)
crunch channel
master volume 8
hair 3.5
body 2
bottom 4.5
volume 8
gain 2.5

TS9
drive 9 o'clock
tone noon
level noon
( thnks to everybody's x)

Cheers // Chris SWE

Well the XXX and the 5150 sounds very alike.
But if you use the same settings on both amps, in my opinion the XXX sounds way better.

- A little bit more compressed
- smoother highs
- Better lows

And i have to agree that the XXX has a crazy amount of gain but as most of you know when you record you'll set the gain somewhere around 8-11 o clock' as when you record with the 5150 to get that tight heavy sounding guitars that we all love :headbang:

Here's some good settings to get it "good" sounding, you can really screw the XXX up if you use "bad" settings.

*Crunch channel*
*damping in mid setting*

Master- 2:00 (not oclock)
Hair- 10:00
Body- 9:30
Bottom- 12:00
Channel Volume- 10:30
Channel Gain- 1:00

TS9
drive 9 o'clock
tone noon
level noon

( thnks to everybody's x)

Cheers // Chris SWE

Odd, I get my xxx tone by cranking all the knobs (except gain, duh!) and rolling back on the treble and mids a bit. Post clips plz, I'd like to hear what kinda sound you're getting.

OOPS!!! posted the wrong settings hehe.... I've changed the settings on the previous post sorry.

Check the link at the beginning of this thread. The clip is recorded by
everybody's x. The first half of the clip is the XXX and the second is 5150.

// Cheers chris