8. Vader: Welcome to the Morbid Reich
9. Graveyard: Hisingen Blues
10. Isole: Born from Shadows
11. Krux: III – He Who Sleeps Amongst the Stars
12. Symphony X: Iconoclast
13. The Haunted: Unseen
14. Autopsy: Macabre Eternal
15. Krisiun: The Great Execution

Shit/Disappointments: Lou Reed/Metallica, Alice Cooper, Mastodon, Amorphis, Insomnium, Venom.

these albums win 2011 imo

to-hell-with-god.jpg

brutalitarian_regime-15564587-frntl.jpg

Krisiun-The-Great-Execution.jpg

Eeehhheheheee.

1. Shining: VII – Född förlorare
2. Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All
3. Pain of Salvation: Road Salt Two
4. Rotten Sound: Cursed
5. Opeth: Heritage
6. Xerath: II
7. Novembers Doom: Aphotic

Shit/Disappointments: Lou Reed/Metallica, Alice Cooper, Mastodon, Amorphis, Insomnium, Venom.

Woah woah woah. Mastodon? And Insomnium was pretty awesome too.

Mastodon have never been as good as their reputation, and this one was the worst I've heard. Mediocre, average, meh.

Insomnium are stagnation personified/bandified. Every song on every album sounds the same, with the same arrangements, same chord progressions, same guitar melodies, same scale choices, same growls. They don't sound bad, fuck no, but they sound THE SAME. ALL THE TIME.

I'm no expert on Autopsy by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I've heard they haven't changed their sound by more than a stone's throw in 20 years...I'm not saying that's a bad thing as I can think of plenty of groups that remained true to a certain aesthetic, however I find it curious that Autopsy makes your list while Insomnium does not because they failed to depart from their chosen sound.

But then it does all come down to preference eh?

My list may need shuffling already...but if I open the door to revisions I may never stop. I'll be working on my 2011 list in 2015 o_O

Eeehhheheheee.

1. Shining: VII – Född förlorare
2. Ulcerate: The Destroyers of All
3. Pain of Salvation: Road Salt Two
4. Rotten Sound: Cursed
5. Opeth: Heritage
6. Xerath: II
7. Novembers Doom: Aphotic

Glad to see Shining, Ulcerate, and Rotten Sound get the love. Those albums are so damn good.

I'm no expert on Autopsy by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I've heard they haven't changed their sound by more than a stone's throw in 20 years...I'm not saying that's a bad thing as I can think of plenty of groups that remained true to a certain aesthetic, however I find it curious that Autopsy makes your list while Insomnium does not because they failed to depart from their chosen sound.

But then it does all come down to preference eh?

Yes, like always, it comes down to taste. Autopsy haven't strayed far from their formula, but as it is absolutely awesome it still works. Insomnium were average/slightly above average in the first place, so...

Also, you can still hear the hunger and passion on Autopsy's newest, which you don't on Insomnium's, or Amorphis' for that matter, latest. And really I must say that Autopsy's riffs differ from each other more than Insomnium's do...hehe. Amon Amarth are another example of this, and they rank somewhere in between Insomnium and Autopsy in terms of stale stagnation.