You have to feel for the Iraqi children

Hmmm, I feel a lot more sorrow when I hear of a Norwegian child dead under tragic circumstances than. for example, I did after 9/11 or the Tsunami or this. I cant' say I feel particularly guilty over that, either. That's not to say that I'm pro-makeabombcrateroutofIraq or anything, but of course I'm going to feel a certain detachment over something that is happening on the other side of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with me or mine.

Fair enough man. I suspect that after becoming a dad myself, I tend to sympathize with suffering children because it's amazing to personally witness such innocence at a young age. And so when they're in the middle of tragedy, I feel like we adults just need to band together and just stop and think.

It's not just Iraq, but I felt the same after the tsunami, or after that massive earthquake in north Pakistan, pretty much anywhere where kids are orphaned or in harms way.

The problem with war is that its entirely man-made for some of the most stupid selfish reasons you can imagine, whether it be money, religion, or power (pretty much all one and the same). When people think that the war in Iraq is about "operation: freedom" and all that Fox News bullshit, it actually becomes seriously insulting.

When the war ends, who's going to pick up the pieces? It's kinda like those anti-abortion folks who insist that OTHER people have children, stamp their right wing christian level of unsolicited authority all over the place, and then just walk away from it all, expect someone else to have and raise the kid, kinda like a job well done, all smug and pleased with themselves.

That's what this war is -- just smug self-righteous people who think THEY know what's best for OTHER people.

The sarcasm is completely obvious in Mormangil's post...or that's what i want to think.
The whole topic seems pretentious to me for reasons that i have stated numerous times in the threads about the war in Iraq. It's good that some people finally think and realize some things that most of the world took for granted all these years, but it's so late, that makes it (almost) pointless. You needed surveys and statistics to think some of the most simple facts that should come directly to your mind when thinking of war?
To be honest, when i first read the thread title i thought that this too is sarcastic.

Not really. Actually, yes. In fact, I'll happily say yes. My fault then. However, when it's written in black and white, it becomes somewhat 'more real'. I guess you always know in your subconscious, something irks you, but until it hits the headlines, I guess that's when reality sinks in.

Those who are pro-war should pick up a gun and go fight. Or join the armed forces in some capacity and do their bit. The hypocrisy, however, is that those opposed to the war aren't exactly doing much to end it either.

All I'm seeing is a lot of chit chat going back and forth, and nobody's actually doing anything. We're all just following Bush into his campaign whether we want to or not, or whether we're even American citizens or not. (It's not like anti-war countries like Greece are siding with Iraq and going to war against the USA).

This is presuming that your administration entered the war with the best of intentions. Not quite sure if I'm ready to believe that.

Good point.

However, when we learned that....

a) Saddam was not a threat
b) Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction
c) We would cause more harm than good by inciting civil war
d) Started getting our asses kicked on a daily basis

....we should have left immediately. (a) through to (d) was determined within 3 months of being there.

Because sand my pals, just like regular my pals, are 3/5ths people too.

owlmedley.gif

Nah, it's just more compensation that the US and Britain owes countries its fucked over. 13 years of sanctions against Iraq, and THEN invading it. That's like walking into a yard you've pissed in and then kicking the three-legged muzzled dog chained to a fence. :tickled:

Can't wait to see what the deficit is this after we've paid reparations / rebuilt what we flattened.

We'll never know what the real deficit is since most of the funding for the war is paid for through supplementary bills, which don't get included into the total, and not including the hired arms (which also don't count in any matter, including death tolls).

Yeah, it's crazy. Again, even when the war is 'over' -- meaning all our troops have left the country -- we're STILL paying...seriously, is the US & UK going to have to take sides with one of the warring factions in the civil war?

You can see that happening just to try and stabilize the nation and it's like Palestine all over again.

This isn't about Bush and his reign, this will haunt us for generations whichever president is in the white house. I don't really think people consider this, even liberals, all they're thinking about is bringing the troops home and then as if by magic, it will all be over like a bad dream. :erk: