your fav Symphony X solo

magnificent melody

Bringer of Life and War
Nov 11, 2004
Bronx, NY
I looked and looked for this topic already so sue me if it's already been done. What is your favorite Symphony X solo? why?

out of the four albums I've heard -> Twilight-> Divine wings-> V:-> Odyssey:

Fav Solo is: Sea of Lies

Hard to pick from but I decided to go with this solo mainly to get a point across. Anyone can play blazing fast solos with a lot of practice, but to play a solo of this calibur requires a soulful bond with the guitar. It is harder to play solos with feeling and make them short sweet and simple rather than fast and long solos which aren't as good IMO.

frkn Frontiers, man. i dont know why Jason doesn't let loose with those crazy 5/4 solos in any other songs. i had to learn it (best i could) the night i first heard it. took about 2 hrs. well worth it.

(you didnt specify who the solo had to be from)

Beelzebub said:
Egypt. Then Fallen.

It's so hard to choose!

:worship: ;)

I love the egyptian music sound a lot. SX is my fav band because of that, and the Egypt solo is amazing at capturing what I like. Fallen was the first song I heard from SX and it is still one of my favorites.

When SX becomes famous enough to come to New York I'll be there too. :headbang:

I agree with Sea of Lies...it is the perfect balance of technique and feeling. If you have ever seen him do it live or have The Guitar Chapter you know that it requires insane skill, but it is also very memorable...especially the tapped part. I need Frontiers so bad...it sounds like it such a great song. Please SyX, release for us with the new cd.

I can't remember the exact dates off the top of my head, but I know there's a tourdate archive someplace on the website.

Stupid me, I forgot another solo I absolutely love: Candlelight Fantasia.

I wish SyX would do a nice long instrumental with spotlight solos by everybody. I know it is more DT sort of thing to do that, but SyX could do a more neoclassically flavored song. Rullo and Lepond rarely do solos. The ones people have listed are about the only ones that they have! Russell could scream each person's name like he did for Romeo in DWOT live.

really hard to choose because I like just about every solo Romeo has done.

But I'll name a few if that's ok.

The Accolade (intro solo)
Fallen
Savage Curtain (with the bass solo too, amazing)
Absinthe and Rue (that little soft part with the harmonics and following)

Luis said:
Drums: Death of Balance
Bass: Dragons Den
Guitar: Candelight Fantasia (first solo before: In Twilight...)
Keys: Piano Solo at the end of Egypt

i saw jason play the death of balance no more than 5 feet away from me at his clinic 2 summers ago in Toms River, NJ. frkn insane, yeah thats prolly my fav or his, then frontiers. and i'm definately agreeing with Dragons Den for bass. i dunno about guitar, there are so many. for keys, im gonna say the solo in the middle of Through the Looking Glass from their Live cd.

Beelzebub said:
I can't remember the exact dates off the top of my head, but I know there's a tourdate archive someplace on the website.

Stupid me, I forgot another solo I absolutely love: Candlelight Fantasia.

CF is my 2nd fav solo. You like everything I like... Stop stalking me woman!

Best guitar part in a duel: Church of the machine (6:54-7:06)

Best Guitar intro: The Damnation Game (start-:45)

Best Guitar solo: Egypt (4:20-5:05)

In terms of guitar solos, MJR's work in "The Odyssey" is some of the best guitar work I've ever heard (and probably ever will hear). I really feel like that song, and that whole album, is a huge step up for the band. (Hey, there's a reason the band members all list "The Odyssey" as their favorite song.)

I can't wait for the new material.