Your fave Recabinet (or 2.0) IR?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys , I bought Recabinet a few months back after it was so highly recommended here. However I realized that I have lately only been using a lot of other free ones people uploaded here , like the S-Preshigh and Fredman IR's. I'm not trying to take shots at Recabinet , but I haven't found anything so far in those packs that matches these IR's for a great tone with my guitar. I'm just wondering which ones you guys use on a regular basis , so I can try them out and maybe get some use out of those IR's I paid for. Tell me which Pack it's in to avoid confusion ... thanks guys

I've tried Recab and own a few Redwire packs.

I still use Ryan's Fredman Pres-8....

The problem, IMO, with these libraries is that they do things by the numbers. They pick positions that seem right in theory and do them at various distances, angles, with various mics. At the end of the day that sort of thing is absolutely useless (IMO again). What the end user needs is 4 or 5 GREAT IRs, that have been placed by a golden eared guitar tracking mofo for the purpose of sounding even, fat, good, and with minimal junk (fizz, low mid build-up etc.), not several dozen (or hundred) that have been placed by the numbers and essentially constitute a whole library of filler.

Gotta agree with Ermz here , I do find it frustrating to sort through 100s of filler IR to find 3 or 4 good ones... Maybe the Recab dude should include another folder with like his top 5 - 10 faves ... Thanks for the tips narcossintense ... BTW is that like a Megaman / Blanka Hybrid avatar you have ? It's awesome haha

When I´m using impulses I just keep changing and A/B'ing them until I´m pleased. The ones I listed are the ones that usually works better for me, even better than Ryans impulses, but it depends on the guitar signal and mix obviously. I was pretty surprised on how well the Green cab of Recabinet sounds. It´s on the Vintage section but it´s better than most of the Modern ones.

BTW is that like a Megaman / Blanka Hybrid avatar you have ? It's awesome haha

It´s a Blanka that whoever drew it used Megaman as reference : )

I've tried Recab and own a few Redwire packs.

I still use Ryan's Fredman Pres-8....

The problem, IMO, with these libraries is that they do things by the numbers. They pick positions that seem right in theory and do them at various distances, angles, with various mics. At the end of the day that sort of thing is absolutely useless (IMO again). What the end user needs is 4 or 5 GREAT IRs, that have been placed by a golden eared guitar tracking mofo for the purpose of sounding even, fat, good, and with minimal junk (fizz, low mid build-up etc.), not several dozen (or hundred) that have been placed by the numbers and essentially constitute a whole library of filler.

+1

I keep telling myself that someday I will learn how to make my own after a long cab micing session. Then it will be a good cab in a room I am used to.

Sorry to bump this thread. But I also purchased Recabinet and I'm trying to find some good combinations that I like. There are so many damn choices that It's hard to choose tho. :lol:

I like all of the other impulses above, but like the OP stated, I too want to get my money's worth out of this. I read that the 421 and the 57 combination works well and sounds good. But what specific mic placements (file names) and cabs do you guys like from Recabinet? Anyone have anything new to add to this thread to help out?

Thanks!

Haven't had the time to go through them all but i like the green cab with one 57 and one 121 at 0_5.
Ghandi from v. 1.6 works good to, easy to get a dark tone.

So (to¿) many options

Honestly Recabinet needs its own GUI. Plain and simple. Pod farm and Logic's amp sims are great examples of how to do that. If you could just carousel through cabs, and then switch mics and move them around, it would be killer easy to use.

Honestly Recabinet needs its own GUI. Plain and simple. Pod farm and Logic's amp sims are great examples of how to do that. If you could just carousel through cabs, and then switch mics and move them around, it would be killer easy to use.
well the guy who did Recabinet said he was working on a impulse loader like Lecab, which sounded pretty good, but I have never heard back from him about that :/

Couldnt get Recab to sound decent :erk:

Really?!? Even the shittiest test recordings I've done I was able to get a monster tone out of Recabinet.
There's a lot of fellow Sneapsters that have gotten some amazing results with it. There are just so many choices that I wanted to get some opinions about some good combinations. Although, I know what works for someone else, may or may not work for me. Your playing style, guitar, and other gear all determine what sounds good for you specifically.

I've noticed that the Recabinet IR's don't have as much low end frequencies going on like Ryan's or guitar hacks impulses. There's very little post EQ that needs to be done, and automatically leaves room for bass (which I was too lazy to add to these tone tests.)

Recabinet 3 is coming out later this year. It will be its own dedicated plugin for VST/AU/RTAS, with a guitar oriented UI, blending, artist and style presets, and lots of new sounds. I hadn't noticed this thread until today or I would have chimed in sooner.

Generally speaking, the most balanced IRs are the edge 0.5 and cone 0.5 positions. I personally tend to favor the 1960 and Green cabs in my own metal productions. The Zodiac on Contra Bass mode is amazing for cleans. I typically blend a 121 and a 57 to taste, or sometimes throw in a D6 for cab rumble. I also use the 409 mic a lot, mainly on leads or incidental harmony tracks, but it can be absolutely deadly for rhythms, too.

Anyway, as we get closer to the release of Recabinet 3, I will post some previews for you guys.

I can't speak for the competition, but I can tell you that every mic position in Recabinet was done carefully in a top notch studio.

There are no 4 or 5 "great" IRs for any purpose - what sounds good depends on the player, the instrument, the preamp, the musical context, the mix, etc. There's a lot of factors there and I would never want to restrict people creatively. Not every producer out there is using the same techniques - in fact, I know quite a few engineers working on major and indie releases who get great sounds using a variety of techniques that most people on this forum would consider highly unorthodox or even "useless," but are essential to the great guitar sounds they get on albums.

That being said, I can understand people's frustration cycling through nested folder structures full of thousands of IR files. It's admittedly no fun, and definitely not my idea of an inspiring tone quest. One of the reasons we're moving forward with Recabinet 3 as a dedicated plugin is because it's a far better approach to building tones, especially since there will be presets that will at least help people get "ballpark" and generate ideas to make their own go-to presets with. The whole focus is on workflow, blending, and most importantly getting a great sound quickly.

I like experimenting with a lot of other impulses like ones made by Catharsis or GuitarHack but I find I come back to the Recabinet ones a lot. I usually start with the techniques/ideas that Shane covered in the Recabinet instructional video on youtube and the 57 and 121 blended together sound really good. sometimes I scoop out a lot of the mids in the 121 mic and by itself it sounds really harsh but it adds this nice character to the 57 that fills it out nicely.

I really like how comprehensive Recabinet is (and Redwirez for that matter). It is nice to be able to try out mic combinations that you might consider using yourself in a real life cabinet micing context. For example, I often find I duplicate a take and then have one impulse of a 57 1 inch from the cap and then on the other one I have a 57 at the edge on a 45 degree angle.

Personally, I find this a really good help with getting good sounds out of Recabinet or other libraries because you're applying 'real world' ideas that you know might sound good based on various experiences. I would say this is why I turn to recabinet a lot, because I have a lot of other impulses in my folder that are great but I have no idea how they were created or what they were created with.

Obviously, you can go with the mentality of "who the fuck cares?" because you can just mess with impulses and choose whatever ones sound good - it doesn't matter what they're made from and you don't really have to know at all, right? Sometimes I do that, but I find that if a tone is 'missing something' I can always blend in another microphone or something and use my knowledge of how that shit works to get me to a better tone, instead of just trying anything and stopping when I fluke some kind of combo.

The way I like seeing it anyway. :)

Recabinet 3 is coming out later this year. It will be its own dedicated plugin for VST/AU/RTAS, with a guitar oriented UI, blending, artist and style presets, and lots of new sounds. I hadn't noticed this thread until today or I would have chimed in sooner.

Generally speaking, the most balanced IRs are the edge 0.5 and cone 0.5 positions. I personally tend to favor the 1960 and Green cabs in my own metal productions. The Zodiac on Contra Bass mode is amazing for cleans. I typically blend a 121 and a 57 to taste, or sometimes throw in a D6 for cab rumble. I also use the 409 mic a lot, mainly on leads or incidental harmony tracks, but it can be absolutely deadly for rhythms, too.

Anyway, as we get closer to the release of Recabinet 3, I will post some previews for you guys.

Will current Recabinet owners get some sort of a discount on this?

Also, are you planning to make more tutorials like the mic blending one you did ages ago?

Will current Recabinet owners get some sort of a discount on this?

Also, are you planning to make more tutorials like the mic blending one you did ages ago?

Specific details will be announced soon, but for now I can say that a free level of upgrade will be available to existing customers, with an extended level of upgrade also available for a discounted price. We especially want to go out of our way to reward the earliest supporters of Recabinet for making this all possible, and that began first and foremost on this forum.

I'm really looking forward to this new stuff!

You should make some more youtube videos as well. I really like the way the other one was put together. Got any ideas for upcoming vids?