Your Favorite Concept Albums

BlueSky

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2006
Give a list of your favorite concept albums with a brief description.

Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (A ghost who's existence revolves around the life of his love)
Opeth - Still Life (A forbidden love)
Cult Of Luna (More of a THEMED album, but it concentrates on Male Loneliness)

Many people think Viva Emptiness is a concept album even though it reportedly isn't.

I've read about that, it was an interesting read and it kinda made sense. But as you said, its not a concept album.

Many also say Ghost Reveries is a concept album. But i think thats only based on Mikael saying in and interview that the new album was gonna be a concept album. Like Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries is only a themed album imo.

Isis - Oceanic (Man who is lonely and unhappy meets a woman who completes him and brings his life together, he finds out she has an incestous relationship with her brother, he loses it, and he drowns himself in the ocean.)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (Isolation, drugs, showbiz, war, school, etc... we all know the Wall)

Queensryche - Operation : Mindcrime (drugs, politics, whores, rebellion, revolution calling!!)

King Diamond - Abigail (spooky story, great halloween album)

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider (pure evil)

I second "Dreaming Neon Black" and "The Human Equation". DNB for me is one of the albums of all albums even though I don't listen to it as music as I used to.

@SoM: Didn't know about the "Oceanic" story. Now that's fucked up. In a good sense of course ;)

Is to some degree TGCD a concept album? with the repeated lyrical theme of "coldness" and "chill", with album title apearing in the verse of the itch? that's a question

GR is not a flippin concept album - It's not that great so its labelled that to give it more of an edge. that ticks me off bout opeth, thev run out of ideas
Still Life is on the other hand is a concept album and decent record, fine artwork. Good story-- Many say it's unrequited love, i thought its more doom romance like romeo and juliet

Arena - The Visitor
Arena - Immortal?
Bathory - Blood on ice
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
don't want to sound like an ass, but "Falland Vörandi" from my band Hel is a really nice concept album, too :)

- Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness
- Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

Don't know too many details about them, but they're just albums I really like which happen to be concept albums.

Thank you. I completely forgot about LoDDoD. I've only listened to it like 8 times, but it's so good. The one song album thing just seems to turn me away. I may have to take the time to listen to it again today.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm very surprised that you have forgotten about The Mars Volta. How could you? Frances the Mute and De-Loused in the Comatorium are so conceptual - superb albums.