Your Favorite Concept Albums

if you're going to mention pink floyd (which is a must) can't you aleast mention Dark Side Of The Moon and not The Wall :S

other albums.. Camel - Rajaz, The Snow Goose (from what I can think of now)

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm very surprised that you have forgotten about The Mars Volta. How could you? Frances the Mute and De-Loused in the Comatorium are so conceptual - superb albums.

Blah...

I'll admit they are talented, I just don't like their stuff so much. Therefore they wouldn't be in my favorite Concept albums.

if you're going to mention pink floyd (which is a must) can't you aleast mention Dark Side Of The Moon and not The Wall :S
the wall>>>>>dark side

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm very surprised that you have forgotten about The Mars Volta. How could you? Frances the Mute and De-Loused in the Comatorium are so conceptual - superb albums.
Good cds but his lyrics are way too freakin cryptic to understand a lick of what he's trying to say and I only listed concept cds that I knew what they were about.
Is to some degree TGCD a concept album? with the repeated lyrical theme of "coldness" and "chill", with album title apearing in the verse of the itch? that's a question

GR is not a flippin concept album - It's not that great so its labelled that to give it more of an edge. that ticks me off bout opeth, thev run out of ideas
Still Life is on the other hand is a concept album and decent record, fine artwork. Good story-- Many say it's unrequited love, i thought its more doom romance like romeo and juliet
wrong wrong wrong

I believe Amorphis - Elegy and Eclipse are concept albums. "Kanteletar", I think was the Finnish book they took stuff from...anyways...count me in for those. Awesome albums!

Also...

NIN - Downward Spiral(Man uses sex and drugs to rid himself of control of church and society) and Fragile(Tells the story of someone who goes into the music business, with songs about what was left behind, what he didn't want to do but had to, all of the people and scandals, love and respect, and that there was no going back)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son(The story of a man with psychic powers who tries to warn a village of a holocaust)
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist(The album conceptually alludes to Nietzsche's book Thus Spake Zarathustra in exploring the theme of a personal journey from "Worm" to "Übermensch")-Mechanical(A story revolving around a gender-bending alien named Alpha, a substance-addicted glam rocker named Omega who sold out on his "revolution" and a woman named Coma White)-Holy Wood(Holy Wood chronicles the beginnings of the characters of Adam and Coma White)
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime(A young man disillusioned by American society joins an underground terrorist organisation)
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2(Story of Nicholas and the discovery of his past life, which involves love, murder, and infidelity as Victoria Page)
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth (Adapted from J. R. R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion)
King Diamond - Them (The story of a family visiting their grandmothers house that is Possessed by Spirits)
Iced Earth - Night Of The Stormrider (A man who is betrayed by religion turns away from it in anger. The dark forces of nature reach out to this enraged man and use him as their vessel to bring death and destruction to Earth) and Dark Saga(It tells the story of the comic book Spawn, in which a man dies and goes to hell. He sells his soul in order to return to his true love on Earth. But he soon discovers that she is married to his own best friend. He is left completely alone in the world, and although he has good inside, he is influenced by dark forces.)
Fear Factory - Demanufacture(The future is a Wellesish 1984 in which machines rule and the government controls)
In Flames - The Jester Race(A futuristic concept album telling how technology (robots, AI) overcome humans thanks to their increasing dependence on it)
Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty And The Beast(Based on the life of the Countess Elizabeth Bathory)
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse(A dead man contemplates his lover mourning him) and Still Life(Tells the story of a man cast out of a town as a child for being a heretic and his return to claim his life-long obsession, Melinda)
Macabre - Dahmer (Self Explanatory)
Symphony X - V(Based on legends of Atlantis, ancient Egyptian mythology, Astrology and Edgar Cayce's clairvoyant readings about Atlantean culture)
Tool - Lateralus(A man having an inner struggle between good and evil, and eventually reaches enlightenment)
Emperor - Prometheus(based on Prometheus, the Greek Titan)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia(An investigation of the causes of insanity and serial killing told through the story of man from childhood through marriage)
Mastodon - Leviathan(An album based on the tale of Captain Ahab & Moby Dick) and Blood Mountain (Tells the story of a protagonist who attempts to climb up the Blood Mountain to find the Crystal Skull, meeting various mythological creatures on his journey)
Orphaned Land - Mabool(The album tells the story of three sons (one for each of the major monotheistic religions) who try to warn humanity of a coming flood as punishment for their sins)
yeah

p.s. HAPPY ADAM?!?!

OK, here goes:

Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea (Moby-Dick)
Opeth - Still Life (can't remeber this one)
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (dont know this one)
Isis - Oceanic (somebody already said)
Isis - Panopticon (basically kind of a Big Brother idea, of being watched; A Panopticon is a prison design that allows prisoners to be watched without them knowing it.)
Isis - Mosquito Control (Mosquito swarm metaphor for human relationships)
It seems to me all of Isis's records are concepts, except maybe The Red Sea. I've not heard Celestial :erk: , seems fairly obvious that is too.

It also seems that some Neurosis records are concept albums, though I don't know for sure.

Back in the day I used to really like Dream Theater, and although I almost never listen to them anymore, I suppose Scenes From a Memory is a good one.

How about Death's Design?

Yes kevin I am happy, thanks! I didn't know seventh son was such a cool story, and now I know.

However in more detail Downward spiral is about a sex addict who kills god, becomes god, destroys society, becomes feelingless, trys to gain his feelings back through sex but can't, before becoming totally feelingless kills himself, then reflects his whole life and realizes how he would have done things better.
The fragile-about a man who falls in love with a fake woman and in return starts to lose himself but In the end I think he finds himself.
my arms your hearse-about a ghost who watches his lover mourn him but then soon forget him and then he haunts the bitch for sweet sweet revenge. :lol:

How about we just conclude that both Pink Floyd albums kick ass...and who cares if one is a concept or not.

The Wall is a little better though ;)

Okay, and what about Fantomas and Tomahawk? All albums of that bands has concepts in it. Mike Patton is a genius!

@BlueSky
Yup, self-titled is a concept album. The story is about a serial killer: the Flashback is the end of this story. And he is got caught in Laredo and executed in Narcosis, or may be I'm wrong. Very good record, one of my favorites. New album arrives this year.

this one is one of the coolest threads ever.

well, i'm not really sure if Omnio is a concept album per se, but it seems to me that it is, so, here we go:

In The Woods - Omnio

could be about, erm, meaning of life? throughout a lifetime perhaps.. like, from the spring and summer bloom [299 796 km/s would be the birth, I Am Your Flesh the struggle within and the Kairos! the indefinite questions?], to late autumn [Weeping Willow] and winter/ending of a lifetime, reaching the "omnio".

the second one i'd like to mention is
WASP - The Crimson Idol

the rise and fall of a rock star. that record means so much to me.
i also know that The Crimson Idol is much influenced by Quadrophenia by The Who, but i haven't checked out that one yet.

nice observations you guys gave on Seventh Son, or Oceanic [i had some other interpretations myself, but that's the beauty of it, right? ;) ]

the only record i really liked by Dream Theater was Scenes From A Memory, probably because it was a conceptual [and rather obvious one].

Here's an interesting fact:

In absentia is Latin for "in the absence." In legal use it usually pertains to a defendant's right to be present in court proceedings

It's definitely adding up to be a concept cd.

How about we just conclude that both Pink Floyd albums kick ass...and who cares if one is a concept or not.

The Wall is a little better though ;)

I can't conclude that
Pink Floyd was the greatest band ever possibly
it started out with the weird psychedelic rock/pop? of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, accelerated at Umma Gumma and fucking worked its way up Atom Heart Mother (the holy f'ing cow), precisely flowing onto Meddle with the legendary Echoes and upto Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You were here (not to mention the less known (although still hard to not know) and popular albums like Saucerfull Of Secrets, More, Relics, Obscured By Clouds!!)
then it happened:
roger waters completely took over the creative process of the band (limiting Richard Wright's brilliant mind most of all) and came out with the god damn wall (which has a brilliant concept but musically is good only a few times along the way) and The Final Cut (which says on the back cover "A requiem for the post war dream by Roger Waters" :erk:)

so I wouldn't say I love the wall.. I hardly even like it (ofcourse it has its moments) and even Dark Side is not amongst my top 3 pink floyd albums

p.s. I really am into pink floyd so you'd have to execuse me

well, i'm not really sure if Omnio is a concept album per se, but it seems to me that it is, so, here we go:

In The Woods - Omnio

could be about, erm, meaning of life? throughout a lifetime perhaps.. like, from the spring and summer bloom [299 796 km/s would be the birth, I Am Your Flesh the struggle within and the Kairos! the indefinite questions?], to late autumn [Weeping Willow] and winter/ending of a lifetime, reaching the "omnio".

God I thought that I was the only person in this world that loves In The Woods and adores Omnio...I too think that it is a concept album though I'm not reallt sure...But here is a fact anyway;It's one of the greatest albums I have ever listened and I strongly recommend it to everyone posting here...I think it's about the creation of "he" and "she" and how they reach to omnio...

In The Woods - Omnio

God I thought that I was the only person in this world that loves In The Woods and adores Omnio...I too think that it is a concept album though I'm not really sure...But here is a fact anyway;It's one of the greatest albums I have ever listened and I strongly recommend it to everyone posting here...I think it's about the creation of "he" and "she" and how they reach to omnio...