Your favorite guitar solos

I'm not longer a fan of GNR, but those two are well damn solos along with Don't Cry. Slash really did a good work back then.

Good calls, and welcome to the forum.
I've always been partial to Slash's solo on Paradise City... he kicked ass on that song... I always thought Slash was more the heart and soul of GnR and not Axle... much like i thought the same about Gilmour in Pink Floyd over Waters..

As for Noobs, don't welcome them... me hate noobs... :heh:

As for my own picks.. tough to say... so many over the years but i will give a list for now and probably add to it later on:

Metallica- Orion
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Jump in the Fire

Pink Floyd - Echoes
Comfortably Numb
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Time

Jake E Lee - Bark at the Moon
Killer of Giants
Shot in the Dark
Jake's solo piece on the Ultimate Ozzy video

Randy Rhoads - Diary of a Madman
Revelation Mother Earth
Mr. Crowley
Goodbye to Romance
Flying High Again
also all live solos on the Tribute album

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
Free Bird

Joe Satriani - all of them on Surfing with the Alien

Iron Maiden - Aces High
Alexander the Great
The Trooper
2 Minutes to Midnight
Hallowed be Thy Name

More to follow...

Some more:

Pharaoh -'Fighting'
Riot - 'Thundersteel'
Azrael - 'Nada Por Nadie'

I am not going to name individual songs. I'll name just one guitarist.

Michael Schenker when he was playing with UFO.

Anything from Phenomenon to Strangers In The Night is just amazing! For me the perfect blend of speed and melody.

I think the only modern guitarist that can touch him is Jeff Loomis.

Im not up on all the metal most of you guys are but if I can go real old school (cause no one else will) and mention solos that slayed me when I first woke up to music in my teens... when these were fresh

Stairway to Heaven - Page nailed that one, dont care how many times we've heard it or are sick of it of how more advanced and dexterity skilled people are today, that solo speaks.
Hendrix - All along the Watchtower, he keenly broke that up into 3 seperate techniques that just flowed into total awesomeness
Alvin Lee at Woodstock, just for the gonzo effect that I heard here long before the Nuge. But Lee did really make it sing in I'd Love to Change the World
Blackmore - Richie and Jon Lord swapping licks on Lazy kicks ass
Golden Earing - Radar Love... forget about it, anybody not sold on hardrock by this time was hopeless
Terry Cath - 25 or 6 to 4, not perfect but theses were the early days and he made a solid guitar in your face statement
Gilmour - where to begin ? prolly somewhere on Darkside, my jaw just hung
Larry Carlton on Kid Charlemaine(sp)(Steely Dan) blew me away, its a great solo even current die hard metal heads should appreaciate for its phrasing and flow, prolly still my favorite just because
DiMeola - slayed me back in the days of Return to Forever

later
Vaughan - Riviera Paradise and various live versions of Little Wing (for starters)

Glad the OP gave Oliva well deserved creed, I wouldnt know where to begin, seems one solo piece on Edge of Thorns is just too much, no one and I repeat NO ONE sounds like Criss
Vito - I'll give him Leave Me Alone good greif talk about being on a roll with totally sick riffs to boot
Trower - Daydream as if I can really choose
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
Petrucci - first thing I heard... Pull Me Under after that solo nothing surprised me from that guy
favorite wild card - George Puleo - Gamalon, 80's jazz fusion jam band George never failed to amaze me

the rest of these super shredders that have been mentioned and all the great pioneer metal players just had so many and I would need to tear apart libararys to make any determination and it would be a painful process

razor, Kid Charlemagne has always been one of my favorites. Steely Dan had a lot of great solos, and a lot of great guitar players. They are one of my favorite "classic rock" bands for sure, and The Royal Scam is a top 10 album for me as far as that genre goes.

yep, Carlton nailed that one, I guess it was in one or very few takes too, really nice voicing and interval play, the outro is very epic too. I played the hell out of that album back in the day. You are right about alot of great Dan solos, the solo for Reelin in the years deserves much credit, all the guitar work on that song kinda stood out at the time, the solos almost a pre Hotel California sample, which is totally epic in itself.

Steely Dan was their own genre as most bands were back then, less cloning, less copying, more origionality which is why I give the earlier work more credit even if they were not as "skilled" and had more dogs/flops.

another wild card
Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on Sweet Jane intro from Rock and Roll Animal
Buck Darma - Last Days of May

another wild card
Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on Sweet Jane intro from Rock and Roll Animal

Wow, has been an awful lot of time since I listened to that album. 'Sweet Jane' indeed was a highlight, never got into Lou Reed anyway. Doesn't surprise me tho' that the Hollywood Vampires did a great job, check the Coop album with them, nothing but great playing.

Yes I just read that last night and left me wondering exactly what they did, I was huge Alice fan through to Billion Dollar Babies, that band wrote the best Alice music IMO, I think the problem was they just werent very talented to get the job done live but they were creative as hell... Glen Buxton !!!

I think quite a few years back I also read that either one or both of them were brought in for the solo on Aerosmiths Train Kept a Rollin but I didnt bother going back to freshen up on the facts.

Just had to jump into this thread. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter both played on the School's Out album, Billion Dollar Babies, Nightmare and Go To Hell. Wagner and Alice Cooper co-wrote the Welcome to my Nightmare album and continued to write 50 or more songs together. Wagner kept playing and writing with Alice through the Dada album. Yes...Ezrin did bring in Wagner and Hunter to play on Get Your Wings. They both played on Train Kept a Rollin, and then Wagner played three more tunes (Beth, Same Old Song and Dance and one more...forgot which.) They were uncredited at the time, but all since confirmed by Ezrin, Jack Douglas and even by Joe Perry. Ezrin also brought in his "hired guns" Hunter/Wagner to play with Kiss and Peter Gabriel. Still Rock N Roll Animal is one of my fav albums of all time. IF YOU LOVE SMOKIN GUITAR tunes, check out Dick Wagner's new CD, FULL MELTDOWN. It's great rock and roll with Wagner on torrid guitars and vocals. He does a kick ass rockin' cover of Stagger Lee and a bunch of hot originals. Here's a link:[URL="http://wagnermusic.com/releases/full_meltdown.htm"]http://wagnermusic.com/releases/full_meltdown.htm[/URL]

good info jefecita, I never knew much about those two guys until a few years ago when I looked up the RnR Animal LP on wiki. I was fimiliar with that back in 74 a friend had the 8 track and we listened to it regularly, the guitar work always blew me away. Then when I stopped and thought about the solo on Train Kept a Rollin I wondered why I never picked it up before. It was considerably better than Perrys other solos and I always thought "boy he really wails out live" which the live part was also faked... lol but never made sense because the song started out quite studio. Foghat had a song that used the same exact riff.