Your Favorite Guitarists

I neglected to actually give any favorites when I posted before. Aside from the most obvious ones, probably Gianluca A. Corona, Fulberto Serena, Mark Shelton and Jim Matheos.

Tommy Vetterli is my number one. Flawless technique, super tasteful solos, flash without wank, and he's written some of my favourite riffs.

Also:
Duane Denison
Jeff Hanneman
Hendrix
Trey Azagthoth
Hoffman brothers
Angus Young
Kirk Hammett before he had his Wah pedal surgically grafted to his foot
Jerry Cantrell
Dean DeLeo
Luc Lemay
Jeff Buckley
Johnny Greenwood
Tony Iommi
Kurt Ballou
Steve Albini
Buzz Osbourne

Probably more that have slipped my mind

Can't believe there's no mention of David Gilmour yet. Sure, he frequently makes mistakes if he tries to pack too much into a single bar - but he doesn't need to do that. The man can take the fewest notes and make them sing. He's written some of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

Other favorites include:

Mark Knopfler
Martin Barre
Steve Hackett (severely underrated guitarist)

Obviously a shit ton already mentioned but I gotta bring up Rick Wartell. The guy manages to meld heavy with a sort of psychedelic surf, hella fucking props. Better than a lot of others mentioned frankly.

Can't believe there's no mention of David Gilmour yet. Sure, he frequently makes mistakes if he tries to pack too much into a single bar - but he doesn't need to do that. The man can take the fewest notes and make them sing. He's written some of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

Other favorites include:

Mark Knopfler
Martin Barre
Steve Hackett (severely underrated guitarist)
Absolutely concur with David Gilmour, man is ineffably emotive, with an undeniably lethal sense of phrasing, even in bizarre time signatures like 7/8.

Reactions: Einherjar86
One guy whom I feel almost never gets his due is Nugent. The man is a complete riff master, has one of the greasiest, most gut-wrenchingly powerful tones on the planet, controls feedback like few others can, and understands tension and release and classic American roots music better than almost any other rock player. Oh, and hot damn those solos are furious little suckers.

I agree with all of this.

No one mentioned Joe Satriani? Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I find them both boring.

But then, despite being a 'guitarist', I don't find a lot of guitarist's guitarists that entertaining.

Should also add Robert Fripp to my list. (I'm aware that this might seem to contradict the above statement)

Favorites that people are going to give me shit about:

John Petrucci
Chuck Schuldiner
James Murphy
Satch
Stevie Ray Vaughan (GOAT imo)
Ted Nugent
The Thin Lizzy combo
Alex Lifeson
Ty Tabor (King's X)
Dave Mustaine

Last edited:
Ron Jarzombek is probably my overall killer geetarist
growing up it was
Randy Rhoads
Allan Holdsworth
Steve Vai
Satch
Ritchie Kotzen (great first LP)
Tony Macalpine
Akira Takasaki
Eddie Van Halen
James Murphy
Nuno Bettencourt
all the shrapnel guys
and more recently
Mattias IA Eklundh
Todd Duane
Ron fuckin Jarzombek
but lets not forget
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Zappa senior
Bill Connors
Django Reinhardt
there's loads more of course lm a guitar player!

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I don't really understand why people prefer Hanneman's leads to King's. Hanneman wrote the better riffs and was the death metal visionary, but King's leads are nearly without exception better than (or at least equivalent to) whatever solo Hanneman happens to have on the same song.