Your Favorite Guitarists

H.P. Lovecraft

Mar 9, 2016
Ry'leh
This thread is for the purpose of discussing your favorite guitarists, metal or otherwise, you favorite pieces, solos, riffs, leads, performances etc. by them, their gear, and the like. Discuss techniques of their's you find interesting, list your favorite guitarists, make top five or ten or even larger countdowns of your favorites, and on, and on, and on. Give it a go, you won't regret it.

Nice man, especially Iommi and Tipton. Iommi is basically the heavy metal equivalent of someone like Clapton or Page, and Tipton's sense of melody is a huge key to the kickass that is Judas Priest.

My top 20 in no specific order:
Angus Young
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Frank Zappa
Rev. Blind Gary Davis
Keith Richards
Chuck Berry
B.B. King
Uli Jon Roth
Ritchie Blackmore
Ted Nugent
Randy Rhoads
Buddy Guy
Malcolm Young
Yngwie Malmsteen
Johnny Ramone
Hubert Sumlin
Lead Belly
Pete Townshend
John Lee Hooker

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
That's filled with legends, respectable list of course.

Of mine, Chandler is my favourite, I love the way he plays his guitar fast, yet at a slow pace. It's very manic and downer.
Thanks. Yeah, easily one of the prime reasons I'm such a big Saint Vitus fan. He essentially, like many great doom guitarists, took the musical template of Iommi, and morphed it into his own animal, and then did new and marvelous things with it.

Chandler recycles the same two solos over and over. It kinda works, but the solos are generally the worst part about Saint Vitus.

One guy whom I feel almost never gets his due is Nugent. The man is a complete riff master, has one of the greasiest, most gut-wrenchingly powerful tones on the planet, controls feedback like few others can, and understands tension and release and classic American roots music better than almost any other rock player. Oh, and hot damn those solos are furious little suckers.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Chandler recycles the same two solos over and over. It kinda works, but the solos are generally the worst part about Saint Vitus.

Not an unreasonable opinion, I don't mind it so much because his solos are less about musicianship and the usual reasons behind solos and more about an energy release. He's clearly not trying to walk in the footsteps of Yngwie et al.

Shit like this is utterly godlike:

If you can't boogie to this, you have no guts, no nuts, no soul, no rhythm, no worth as person, and I don't want to know you. John Lee Hooker is the dictionary definition of rhythmically inclined bad motherfucker.

I grew up on his sounds because of my father, few things I'm grateful to my parents for, music is one of them.
He's a good one to grow up on. Music is one of the most beautiful gifts you can give a person, so if they could give you anything, I'm glad it was at least that.

One shredder I find goes inexplicably unnoticed is Vinnie Vincent. Along with his ingenious work with 80's KISS, the guy had a superb solo career with Vinnie Vincent Invasion. Merciless, ultra-technical shred fest, with quasi-operatic, glammy vocals and synths.