Your Favorite Guitarists

Brian Tatler is another one I really enjoy, guy just shat out epic riffs in the 80's with Diamond Head. Epic, crushing, melodious, and above all rhythmically impressive.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why people prefer Hanneman's leads to King's. Hanneman wrote the better riffs and was the death metal visionary, but King's leads are nearly without exception better than (or at least equivalent to) whatever solo Hanneman happens to have on the same song.

Do people even listen to Slayer for the solos? I only really pay attention to the riffs and the drums. I can't remember how any of their solos go.

Do people even listen to Slayer for the solos? I only really pay attention to the riffs and the drums. I can't remember how any of their solos go.
Their solos tend to be less catchy than short bursts of technically mindblowing, evil-sounding shred guitar.

I guess they might seem 'technically mindblowing' to people that don't play guitar but, really, they're not.

I guess they might seem 'technically mindblowing' to people that don't play guitar but, really, they're not.
I play guitar, so get off the high horse. They're not technically mindblowing in the sense of difficult phrasing or something like that. Just the sheer velocity of the way they run the scales is what makes it technically impressive, at least to me. Maybe my laud is a little hyperbolic, but the guitar work on display there is far from child's play.

My top 20 in no specific order:
Angus Young
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Frank Zappa
Rev. Blind Gary Davis
Keith Richards
Chuck Berry
B.B. King
Uli Jon Roth
Ritchie Blackmore
Ted Nugent
Randy Rhoads
Buddy Guy
Malcolm Young
Yngwie Malmsteen
Johnny Ramone
Hubert Sumlin
Lead Belly
Pete Townshend
John Lee Hooker

I think Yngwie gets lambasted pretty unfairly by some people. Albums like Trilogy, Odyssey, Eclipse, etc. prove that he is also a songwriter rather than just a shredder.

By the way, you're missing Criss Oliva. :)

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I think Yngwie gets lambasted pretty unfairly by some people. Albums like Trilogy, Odyssey, Eclipse, etc. prove that he is also a songwriter rather than just a shredder.

He certainly does. He oft gets lambasted as a supposed "soulless and robotic player, concentrated only on technicality and speed and nothing more" and stuff of that sort. Meanwhile, it couldn't be further from the truth, he can bust out a power ballad, a shred instrumental, a straight up rocker, a semi-epic, etc. And to top it all off, the guy has an all but unimpeachable technical acumen as guitarist. I do at times wish his phrasing was more tasteful, but oh well, it's good ole Yngwie, what are we to do? He'd probably sooner eat a donut than receive critiques on his playing...

As for Criss Oliva, he'd probably be somewhere in my Top 50 or 100 if I expanded it to that. Love that guy's playing to death. Glorious tone, and even more wondrous sense of melody. Oh, and the dude can shred like a monster.

Not really, although Kerry King has one, maybe two solos that I consider legitimately great, and Hanneman has at least several I consider legitimately awful.

EDIT: Actually have to take that back somewhat, Jeff's second solo in Praise of Death (during the hardcore break) is my favorite fuck-shit-up Slayer solo. Kerry still had much better technique and knew how to construct a melody though

Last edited:
Tommy Vetterli is my number one. Flawless technique, super tasteful solos, flash without wank, and he's written some of my favourite riffs.
He was also the first to come to my mind for the same reasons.

My second pick is Piggy aka Denis D'Amour whose guitar-playing is IMO mainly responsible for the unique Voivod-sound.

Apart from these two I find it very difficult to name specific guitarists, because I like most of them the same and can't find reasons why I should rank some of them higher than the others.

My second pick is Piggy aka Denis D'Amour whose guitar-playing is IMO mainly responsible for the unique Voivod-sound.

Dunno how I missed him from my original list. Even if I didn't like Voivod, which I really fucking do, he'd have to be on it because without him, no Czral.