Your Favorite Guitarists

I agree with all of this.

No one mentioned Joe Satriani? Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Yeah, I think that despite being one of the best rock guitarists ever, he'll never get his critical due because the people who run those rags are scared to death of his politics. He'll never be properly acknowledged by the BBC or Rolling Stone, he'll never get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, etc. I like Satriani, but he's never been a particular favorite of mine. Stevie Ray Vaughan on the other hand is one of the finest blues players to ever pick up a guitar. All his albums are stone cold classics and unbelievable displays of great songcraft and virtuoso blues guitar.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Yeah, I think that despite being one of the best rock guitarists ever, he'll never get his critical due because the people who run those rags are scared to death of his politics. He'll never be properly acknowledged by the BBC or Rolling Stone, he'll never get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, etc. I like Satriani, but he's never been a particular favorite of mine. Stevie Ray Vaughan on the other hand is one of the finest blues players to ever pick up a guitar. All his albums are stone cold classics and unbelievable displays of great songcraft and virtuoso blues guitar.

Dude yeah. He's the reason I even picked up a guitar

Ron Jarzombek is probably my overall killer geetarist
growing up it was
Randy Rhoads
Allan Holdsworth
Steve Vai
Satch
Ritchie Kotzen (great first LP)
Tony Macalpine
Akira Takasaki
Eddie Van Halen
James Murphy
Nuno Bettencourt
all the shrapnel guys
and more recently
Mattias IA Eklundh
Todd Duane
Ron fuckin Jarzombek
but lets not forget
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Zappa senior
Bill Connors
Django Reinhardt
there's loads more of course lm a guitar player!
Jarzombek rules. Forgot about him. Mental player. I should have a listen to Blotted Science again one of these days.

I don't really understand why people prefer Hanneman's leads to King's. Hanneman wrote the better riffs and was the death metal visionary, but King's leads are nearly without exception better than (or at least equivalent to) whatever solo Hanneman happens to have on the same song.
They were a well matched pair and I love their mental shredding and plucked harmonic tremolo divebomb madness, but Hanneman improved with time and had slightly better feel & tone. Plus, as you say, Hanneman wrote the better riffs. I just can't bring myself to put KK on a fave guitarists list.

His playing on Outsideinside is out of this world in the sense of its extensive musical dynamism, however, I'm a but more of a sucker for his work on Vincebus Eruptum.

His playing on Outsideinside is out of this world in the sense of its extensive musical dynamism, however, I'm a but more of a sucker for his work on Vincebus Eruptum.

Vincebus Eruptum has obvious and immediate qualities, but I also think Outsideinside reveals it's worth over time.

The complaint I have about Vincebus Erutptum is that it only contains two original compositions, whereas Outsideinside only contains two cover tunes, so Vincebus Eruptum is more about appreciating the guitar tone, the playing itself is fairly unoriginal.

My favourite track on Vincebus Eruptum happens to be one of the two original tunes though.

Vincebus Eruptum has obvious and immediate qualities, but I also think Outsideinside reveals it's worth over time.

The complaint I have about Vincebus Erutptum is that it only contains two original compositions, whereas Outsideinside only contains two cover tunes, so Vincebus Eruptum is more about appreciating the guitar tone, the playing itself is fairly unoriginal.

My favourite track on Vincebus Eruptum happens to be one of the two original tunes though.

Yeah, I know, but just hearing those classic tunes get the patented Leigh Stephens/Blue Cheer makeover is amazing. Especially on Summertime Blues. It's just so primal and thunderous, in particular when compared to the original rendtions of each song. I love both albums dearly, but I have a slight preference for Vincebus.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah their version of "Summertime Blues" is insane. I love it.
That song was like the ground beneath you was caving in at a live show. You'd just hear that bass rattling your ears like an indomitable juggernaut barreling towards you, then the rest of the band kicks in seconds later and all but knocks you flat on your ass. It was hippies gone volume mad.

That song was like the ground beneath you was caving in at a live show. You'd just hear that bass rattling your ears like an indomitable juggernaut barreling towards you, then the rest of the band kicks in seconds later and all but knocks you flat on your ass. It was hippies gone volume mad.

You basterd. You saw them perform?