Your favorite mix regarding bass frequencies?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Which mix is your favorite one when it comes to bass frequencies?

Mine has easily got to be Veil of Maya's "Common Man's Collapse". I wouldn't even in my wildest dreams, be able to begin imagining what Mike Keene (I believe he mixed it?) has done to that mix... it's insane. It makes my woofer at home go all rubbery... it's beautiful. It's so fat but still tight... incredible. The low end on that album makes it all worth listening to, even if you don't like the music :D

A friend of mine studied sound engineering, and one of his teachers loved Rammstein... purely because he thought they had very fat and nice low end in their sound.

So, which one is your favorite?

yeh im with abyss on this one kind off, i love the band, but never thought the mix was that great tbh

yep i was thinking of faceless as well, to me those mixes always sounded like they had programmed drums and pod guitars tbh......not that its a bad thing...but u know....

It's pretty different for me, I've never been much of an old school analog guy, it's just not so appealing to me. That makes me shrug at Clayman, but anyway, that's not the point.

I noticed there was something drastically different about "Common Man's Collapse" because no other music that I have ever played on this computer has made my subwoofer feel "rubbery". It's strange... I sometimes rest my legs on my woofer, and it really feels like the thing is made out of rubber when I play "Common Man's Collapse". It's so tight and punchy... I just love it :D

It's been a long time ago since I listened to Clayman, think I should revisit it, but I know I'm not much for old school stuff so I'm probably gonna shrug again.

i see what you mean, to be honest i think clayman is over hypehd in these ends....i mean great album and production....but i dunno

you know what is a great album..Sikth's 1st album i Highly reccomend it, think its sounds so....organic i think would be the word

You were asking for bass frequencies. Clayman has the lowest, fattest drums, a very subpunchy bass and thick, dense guitars.
Stabbing The Drama has an awesome tight and punchy bass/kick combination and the guitars fill out the gaps very nicely and cutting.

That Veil Of Maya just has a very scooped kick with some subpunch, that's what makes your subwoofer "rubberry", that's all.
And it is not about analogue, there's cleary some modern all ITB non-analogue stuff out there ;)

Btw, I wouldn't really call Clayman oldschool in terms of production...

ooh +1 on stabbing the drama

and i think in relative terms clayman could be described as oldschool, obviously not in the grand scheme of things but in recent years with the sounds bands are coming out with, i mean veil, faceless, after the burial etc, sound like each other in certain ways but nothing in common with clayman, carcass etc

you know what is a great album..Sikth's 1st album i Highly reccomend it, think its sounds so....organic i think would be the word

Hehe I can do nothing but agree with you on Sikth. I love the production, but more as a whole, not in regards to any specific part of it. The songs are amazing on that album.

You were asking for bass frequencies. Clayman has the lowest, fattest drums, a very subpunchy bass and thick, dense guitars.
Stabbing The Drama has an awesome tight and punchy bass/kick combination and the guitars fill out the gaps very nicely and cutting.

That Veil Of Maya just has a very scooped kick with some subpunch, that's what makes your subwoofer "rubberry", that's all.
And it is not about analogue, there's cleary some modern all ITB non-analogue stuff out there ;)

Btw, I wouldn't really call Clayman oldschool in terms of production...

As I said, it's been many years since I heard Clayman, I wouldn't be surprised if I remembered it completely wrong :) I'll try to get back to it tomorrow... after so many years!

Stabbing the drama was also a long time ago, but now I remember it when you talk about it. I remember I used to think it was really punchy, and that was before I started caring about recording and such, so I guess it really is punchy.

So far, Clayman seems to be a popular choise for this topic. Would be interesting to see what else people like when it comes to the phat basses!

Faith No More - King for a day, fool for a lifetime

Just checked it out, on youtube but still...

I had never heard it before, pretty cool. Not what I expected though, I was expecting something really out of the ordinary but to my surprise, this was pretty ordinary. It sounds very natural. Would you mind explaining why you choose this one as your favorite when it comes to low end? (I'm too biased by instant fatness right now, to understand on my own... haha :))

I just noticed that not all songs on "Common Man's Collapse" has that rubbery fatness I was talking about. It's the song "Pillars" off of that album that specifically has it. Probably because it's a slow song... seems to be hard to get a tight and punchy low end when everything is going at 250 bpm :O

I just noticed that not all songs on "Common Man's Collapse" has that rubbery fatness I was talking about. It's the song "Pillars" off of that album that specifically has it. Probably because it's a slow song... seems to be hard to get a tight and punchy low end when everything is going at 250 bpm :O

Then you'll like this:
http://www.vildhjarta.com/vildhjarta-traces.mp3

Similar production style with the kick all subby and scooped

I love the lower end on Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. Super tight and clean.

I recently purchased that Veil of Maya album on itunes and wish I could return it for the very fact that I hate the low end (and the vocals are pretty generic, but thats another story.) I just think the low end is too fat, and the kick is too overpowering for that genre of music. I think a much tighter kick drum would sound loads better for that CD, and would probably keep it in my CD player for longer than 1 and a half songs.

Haha!

Yea, I know, I should be ordering CD's from amazon or something, but I usually buy albums impulsively and on a whim after hearing a sample online or something, and seeing as walmart has the widest selection of music in my area, you can see why itunes can be pretty beneficial to me. Plus 10 bucks for an album ain't half bad!