Your favorite movie and why.

I've become seriously interested in movies only recently... so I bet haven't seen a lot of masterpieces, but so far the movies which really touched me, were :

2001: A Space Odyssey. I haven't read the book, but I love the whole aesthetic of the movie, the choice of visuals and music (Ligeti roolz !) and especially the ending.

The Straight Story (David Lynch)... wow, after this one my respect for Lynch grew tenfold, and I'm really into his other films (The Lost Highway, Twin Peaks... not really Dune :p ). The Straight Story was one of those pieces of art which made a massive shift in my perception of the world. Again, the musical part is impressive, Badalamenti is simple, but genius.

12 Monkeys. I love the intense story and the psychotic director's work... The Fisher King as well, I'm trying to find more of Gilliam's movies but the possibility of obtaining legal copies of videos or music is close to zilch where I live...

I could probably remember more films that I found special (I liked also Pulp Fiction, and The Matrix was not bad, talking about the more popular stuff mentioned here), but these were the most memorable.

Great thanks to Duvall for the recommendations, I will store this thread... definitely agree about toilet humor and racial comedies !
:(

D M.
-----------------
NP: King Crimson - Red

"Industry... Science and Technology... Big men putting screwdrivers into things. Turning them, and.... ADJUSTING them... build your own atom storage box..." heheheh.

Yeah Hoserhellspawn.......nice quote...........another......" Its weenie man........to the weenie mobile!!!!""

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames

There was also a strange discrepancy, in that the book originally set in the Saturn orbital, with Iapetus as the focal moon, but for some reason the movie was in the Jupiter orbital, focussing on Europa. For this reason, Clarke decided to write the next three books concerning Europa, so the entire Saturn/Iapetus thing just ended up as a weird flaw.

I heard (can't remember where - too long ago) that Kubrick didn't want to do the whole Saturn/Iapetus thing because of length and irrelevance to the what he was trying to achieve with the film. And apparently it would be seen as confusing for the audience, but on the contrary I found the omission more confusing because I had read the book before I saw the film.

I can't remember, but did the book include the aerobraking manoevore around Jupiter to get to Saturn without using lengthy fuel burns? If it did, we know Clarke envisioned geostationary orbits with his writing, maybe he wanted to leave it in because he felt it was important from his 'pure' science fiction perspective?

Anyway, whatever the case maybe, I have read all the books and I did enjoy them, although I found 3001 to be a bit weak in comparison. It seems like he wanted to wind it all up and he didn't really leave any room for additional pondering of the big questions raised especially in the 2001 film.

Now, my favourite movie is

2001: A Space Odyssey.

I can see a lot of people here love too. It is just so huge in its scope and eveytime I see it I can get more out of it. Just like an Opeth album. I also love the score, the part with the Blue Danube Waltz while the jump ship and the station are 'docking' is memorable, as well as Zarathustra at the start. Totally cool.

Other favourites would include:

The Thin Red Line
Fight Club
Blade Runner
Star Wars Episodes IV-VI

Duvall, I saw Das Boot for the first time the other day, it was the directors cut that goes for over three hours. Great isn't it!
It sure psyches you out well, those submariners must have been a strange breed after a tour or two. I can't wait to see the director's commentary!

Originally posted by luke
Anybody else seen the excellently made German film '2069: A Sex Oddessy'???:D

:) No,

But I will be glad when 2001 is over and people will be forced to stop using advertising slogans such as:

key cheesy trying to be epic ad music

2001: A <<insert product/service category/name >> Odyssey

Fuck it pisses me off :mad:

I hope I don't have to endure something similar in 2010...

I quite liked "Shadow..." and I found it to be very creepy and the morbid humour was very slight in my mind.

requiem and I had a little film festival a while ago where firstly viewed Nosferatu followed by "Shadow..."

I was glad we watched Nosferatu first because it makes "Shadow..." so much more entertaining. requiem had already seen it in class too, so I was forewarned about the part where Nosferatu lands in Germany and starts deviously walking through the streets carrying his coffin under his arm...Fuck, that was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time :lol:

Arizona Dream, Blade Runner, Braveheart, California, Contact, Dances With Wolves, Deer Hunter, Event Horizon, Forest Gump, Hair, Heat, In The Name Of The Father, Last Of The Mohicans, Legends Of The Fall, Leon, Seven, Shallow Grave, The Big Lebowski, The Boxer, The Doors, The House Of The Spirits, The Matrix, The Shawshank Redemption, The Silence Of The Lambs, The Usual Suspects, Tombstone, Top Gun, Trainspotting, True Romance, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Willow, 12 Monkeys...

Definitely The Big Lebowski. I just love twisted, sarcastic, extremely profane humor. Along these same lines are Pulp Fiction, Fargo, and Boogie Nights.

Towards the more serious side of things: Braveheart, Conan the Barbarian, Heat, Goodfellas, Forrest Gump, Shawshank, Star Wars.

darnit i forgot along with Mystery science theatre 3000 and hercules returns ( not the american crappy show).........LOCK STOCK AND 2 SMOKING BARRELS....and SNATCH!!!!!!!:loco: :lol: :)

My top three, in order

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. The Usual Suspects
3. Star Wars (original trilogy only)

other faves :

Ronin
Go
Payback
Ed Wood
Anything by Quenten Tarentino, Parker & Stone, and Kevin Smith.

-spook

I agree with a lot of these like Pulp Fiction, Memento, The Sixth Sense, Last of the Mohicans.

I still am yet to see Requiem for a Dream. *puts on to do list*

I would probably say Interview with the Vampire. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt were simply amazing in this movie. I also have a thing for New Orleans. There is something about the atmosphere there. Maybe I'll live there one day...