Your favorite movie and why.

More blithering to follow:

I knew I'd forget a bunch.

P.T. Anderson films - Boogie Nights and Magnolia. VERY underrated (moreso Boogie Nights). A guy at work calls Magnolia "Emotional Gore". On the same note, American Beauty received its well-deserved accolades.

Similar to Magnolia is Robert Altman's "Short Cuts." Enjoyed that a lot, though I expected a twist at the end that never occured.

Dead Man (with Johnny Depp) is indeed awesome. It's something anyone could watch and like, though it never broke into the popular market. I suppose people are afraid of B&W.

Has ne1 seen shadow of the vampire (I think it was called)? with john malcovich about the filming of Nosferatu? Heh, that was entertaining

I have seen Shadow of the Vampire, and though I loved Willem Dafoe (he's always good), and John Malkovich, it didn't have quite enough humour to be a comedy, or horror to be a horror. It always felt like it was struggling to be both.

I'd like to check out those Japanese films, and the Swedish one mentioned here. I'm a fan of Zhang Yimou. His films about the communist uprising, etc, in China are very good. On the subject of Chinese cinema, Joan Chen's "Xiu Xiu the Sent-Down Girl" is incredible as well. Amazing for a first-time director.

For a while I was big into Ingmar Bergman. He's an incredibly personal director, and no one is better than Sven Nykvist, though I do prefer his B&W work. And Liv Ullman was hot in the 60s.

I'm really gonna shut up this time.
Maybe watch Blue Velvet tonight. David Lynch! And his new one is just coming out here.

FIGHT CLUB, FIGHT CLUB, FIGHT CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love CHuck Palahniuk's books, and the movie caught the feeling perfectly....also, Shawshank Redemption is great, and Memento is a recent fave. Office Space is my favorite comedy:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

My fave B-movies are Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and the immortal Plan 9 From Outer Space

Pulp Fiction
Do i need to say more????????????

Generally i'm not so much into movies.....but hmmm i enjoy watching a pleasant film every now and then....

I mainly asked this because I just signed up for netflix.com, it's a really good idea. You pay $13 a month and then you choose two movies off their list and they mail them to you in about three days (if you're in US) and there is no shipping cost, the DVD's arrive in an envelope and have a prepaid/preadressed envelope to send them back in. You take as long as you want to watch the movies and send them back when you're done, then they immediately send you the next movies on your queue once they recieve the movies back. If you go to the videostore more than twice a month this is a really nice deal. If you really like movies you can have three movies at a time for $30 a month.

Originally posted by Duvall
I have seen Shadow of the Vampire, and though I loved Willem Dafoe (he's always good), and John Malkovich, it didn't have quite enough humour to be a comedy, or horror to be a horror. It always felt like it was struggling to be both.

Thats what I liked about it i think, it was hard to categorise :) It is based on truth tho as well u know :p

hmm.. I dunno about that ;)

No camera from 1922 could have held that much film (end sequence.. it keeps running and running!). But if you've seen the actual Nosferatu, then it's SCARILY accurate. VERY well realized.

* Trainspotting
* Pulp Fiction
* Edward Scissorhands
* Fight Club
* The Sixth Sense

and..... *The Crow (only the first one,
cause I haven't seen the other ones yet...)

I'm going to see Requiem For A Dream soon,
just have to find the right time...
I got a feeling this will become one of my fav's so....

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames

There was also a strange discrepancy, in that the book originally set in the Saturn orbital, with Iapetus as the focal moon, but for some reason the movie was in the Jupiter orbital, focussing on Europa. For this reason, Clarke decided to write the next three books concerning Europa, so the entire Saturn/Iapetus thing just ended up as a weird flaw.

Yeah I remember that. I'm not sure if this is true but I read something a long time ago that said that Kubrick changed it from Saturn to Jupiter because he couldn't get Saturn to look right in the movie. He is a perfectionist so it wouldn't surprise me.

Originally posted by Duvall
Ohhhh boy.. don't get me started (film student)

Personal all-time favourites:

-Das Boot (the longer the better)

My housemate just bought the Director's Cut DVD of Das Boot which I haven't had a look at yet. I think I'll watch it soon.

My favourites?

The Shining, Fight Club, Once Upon A Time in China, & The Sixth Sense.

and my all time favourite(s)

THE GODFATHER TRILOGY (the special long version: 9.5 hours!)

Yesterday on a whim the spontaneus me decided to go see A.I.

A brilliant movie, really good one. I would have cried in some parts had I been alone in the theatre. :)

1. Australia movie - Hercules returns......bloody hilarious
2. movie- Mysyery science theatre 3000.....hehehe.....oooppps i just wet 'em!

I have seen Shadow of the Vampire...it didn't have quite enough humor to be a comedy, or horror to be a horror. It always felt like it was struggling to be both.

Way to sum it up. I laughed many times. There's just something about the way Malkovich played his scenes. So dumb-foundedly serious...??? :D

The Shining..." Yes! I really like Jack Nicholson’s crazy man rolls. Even "As Good As It Gets" I liked a lot though. He's very convincing. The Shining was creepy. I know a lot of people that hated it because the girl was so dumb most the time...sort of like the way some hate "Fraiser" because they ALWAYS cause their own misery. Idiots. I watch it sometimes, but when I see them just FUCKING IT ALL UP...I have to say goodbye.

Originally posted by TyrantOfFlames
Event Horizon!! What an underrated movie! It is amazing that The guy who played Dr. Weir, (his name escapes me), actually took the show from one of my favorite actors, Laurence Fishburn. (There was one scene of him I could have lived without, though, and that was seeing Weir without a shirt on...rather pathetic to see him sucking his gut in...) Yes, I couldn't sleep after that movie, mainly because of the end. Nice and unexpected.

Sam Neill is the name you're looking for, I believe.

I couldn't sleep after that movie because that one scene... the one with the videotape from the prior crew was the single most distubing thing I've sat in a theatre and watched (yes, I saw that movie in the theatre). Few things have unsettled me like that, ever.

Let's see...
Stanley Kubrick was brilliant.
Run Lola Run was excellent.
Jack Nicholson is the man.

And let me mention that Johnny Depp kicks ass. His whacked performance in Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas was worth the price of admission. Kudos to him for (pretty much) always taking unique scripts.

Oh yeah.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Movie.

If you're unfamiliar with it, see it, it's the funniest damn thing.

"Industry... Science and Technology... Big men putting screwdrivers into things. Turning them, and.... ADJUSTING them... build your own atom storage box..." heheheh.

Originally posted by Opet
I have seen Shadow of the Vampire...it didn't have quite enough humor to be a comedy, or horror to be a horror. It always felt like it was struggling to be both.

Way to sum it up. I laughed many times. There's just something about the way Malkovich played his scenes. So dumb-foundedly serious...??? :D

Heh, it didn't take itself that seriously tho, I mena apart from Johnny boy that is ;)