Your favorite movie and why.

THE SEVEN SAMURAI by Akira Kurosawa - the best movie ever!!!

It has a lot of deep characters, an enthralling plot, beautiful camera-work and extremely dynamic battle-scenes. Plus the overall "feeling" in the movie is unique. Recommended to everyone.

I also like many of the movies listed above, except The Gladiator, which is one of the worst movies I have ever seen - all the characters are one-dimensional, the plot has no surprises at all and apart from the opening battle-scene, there's nothing visually impressive in it. The Green Mile is a far better movie and has far less flaws in it (somewhere the historical flaws of The Gladiator were listed and there were more than a dozen of them).

Also, does someone know a japanese film called something like "A Butterfly in the Heart"? I'm not too sure of the title, but it sure is a great movie.

-Villain

Mmh, how could I forget "Saving Private Ryan".. tsk, tsk.

ANYWAY, TyrantOfFlames, yeah I've read the first two books and started on the 2061, which for some reason I never finished. I guess I better. As always, the books are far better than the movies, but didn't Clarke write 2001 basing on the movie?

As for Green Mile, I didn't say it was a classic, I just thought it was a goddamn good movie and made an impression on me.

have a number of movies on my list-to-see, also, such as Apocalypse Now, Run Lola Run, Trainspotting, Pi, Magnolia

Are you referring to "Apocalypse Now Redux" or the original? I'd want to see that one. Hmmm, I seem to have some extra cash floating around.. *firing up another browser window for 'on tonight'.. handy. :)*

Trainspotting kicks ass!

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fucking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life.

I chose not to choose life. I chose something else." :lol:

The Matrix

I just found the story line intruiging. I seem to relate to it, and it can actually seem believable.

then:
The Mummy
Independence Day
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2, Judgement Day
What Dreams May Come
Field of Dreams

Ohhhh boy.. don't get me started (film student)

Personal all-time favourites:

-Das Boot (the longer the better)
-Dancer in the Dark (with Björk, startlingly good, and damn emotional)
-David Fincher films (Se7en, Fight Club, The Game, and to a lesser extent, Alien 3 ;))
-Darren Aronofsky films (pi, Requiem for a Dream) - And though I normally avoid the Wayans bros. at all costs, Marlon was *excellent* in Requiem
-Contact - loved the movie, loved the book more

- Citizen Kane is something everyone should see. It was decades ahead of its time
-Kubrick Films - you have to like his style, but his personifications of conflict still draw me in every time. Lolita/Dr Strangelove/Full Metal Jacket/2001/A Clockwork Orange/and even Eyes Wide Shut
-Bram Stoker's Dracula is a fascinating movie, since it was made using only traditional film techniques (reverse filming, rear projection) - no motion control of CGI
- Terry Gilliam films - The Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
-Scorcese films - Mean Streets, Taxi Driver (NOTHING beats young DeNiro with a mohawk kicking everyone's ass), Goodfellas, Last Temptation of Christ (see that one for sure)

Recently, "AI: Artificial Intelligence" was one that I really liked. You could feel the Kubrick and see the Spielberg. Jude Law and Haley Joel Osment were incredible together, and that motorized Teddy Bear stole the show.

Memento had me thinking for at least a week. The opening sequence is one of the most intriguing and shocking I've ever seen. Rent it just for that!

I'll tell you what I don't like.. stereotyped racial comedies, sequels to movies that only made money because of toilet humour or a gimmick, huge-budget action films full of body-beautifuls driving gorgeous cars in an unreal environment, trying to bring even a small element of the underground into popular culture, but only managing to make thousands of sheep half-interested in a skewed vision of underground culture (hence the birth of nu-metal, I think) :rolleyes:

I hate to say it, but the use of Rob Zombie in hugely popular movies like The Matrix is a contributing factor to large number of shitty bands becoming popular.

While I'm ranting about music, The Kronos Quartet (who did the VERY memorable theme to Requiem for a Dream) is playing at a local university in a couple weeks. I'll report back on them.

If anyone can.. try to find Fritz Lang's "M," and Sergei Eisenstein's "The Battleship Potempkin." Both are extremely innovative early films.

Alright, I'll shut up now. :D

I love 2001:A Space Odyssey and I read the book. I enjoyed the book alot too, but I think this is a rare instance were the movie is indeed better. The book explains alot more where the movie leaves things open for interpretation.

Orchid - 2001 was orginally based on a short story by Clark(i forget what it was called). Kubrick and Clark expanded the idea and wrote the script for the movie together. At the same time Clark was writing the book on the side but the movie was released first.

Most of my other favorites have already been mentioned... A Clockwork Orange, American Beauty, ect. It was cool that someone mentioned Das Boot! Thats one of the best war movies ever and seems to be underappreicated by most people. I also love Tim Burton's films, especially The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Hands down
Dead Man, with Johhny Depp. without a doubt the most beautiful film I have yet to see.
Another movie that had a lasting impression on me was Splendor in the Grass, with Natalie Wood. Oldie but goodie.
I also recommend just about anything by Shunji Iwai, a great Japanese writer/director. Undo, Picnic and Swallowtail are three excellent works of art... April Story is a bit of a different pace, and may require an understanding of Japanese phsyche to be appreciated.
For those of you who thought 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' was the best thing to come out of the Chinese film industry, you should check out 'Farewell to My Concubine' a brilliantly written and executed drama.

Good call on the Malkovitch, Hoser.

Originally posted by opethinfinity
...and the EVER classic Evil Dead 2!!

:lol: :lol: That movie was so awful I had to laugh my ass off.

Originally posted by Alucard
Orchid - 2001 was orginally based on a short story by Clark(i forget what it was called). Kubrick and Clark expanded the idea and wrote the script for the movie together. At the same time Clark was writing the book on the side but the movie was released first.

There was also a strange discrepancy, in that the book originally set in the Saturn orbital, with Iapetus as the focal moon, but for some reason the movie was in the Jupiter orbital, focussing on Europa. For this reason, Clarke decided to write the next three books concerning Europa, so the entire Saturn/Iapetus thing just ended up as a weird flaw.

Originally posted by Orchid
ANYWAY, TyrantOfFlames, yeah I've read the first two books and started on the 2061, which for some reason I never finished. I guess I better.

Definitely finish 2061 and read 3001. 2061 is probably my favorite in the series.

Originally posted by Villain
I also like many of the movies listed above, except The Gladiator, which is one of the worst movies I have ever seen - all the characters are one-dimensional, the plot has no surprises at all and apart from the opening battle-scene, there's nothing visually impressive in it. The Green Mile is a far better movie and has far less flaws in it (somewhere the historical flaws of The Gladiator were listed and there were more than a dozen of them).

You got me. I didn't claim the movie was a massive work of art, but I and really interested in events of that time period...and I just really liked Maximus. The way he was all but forced to forget about his dead family made me feel for the guy.

Originally posted by Duvall
-Kubrick Films - you have to like his style, but his personifications of conflict still draw me in every time. Lolita/Dr Strangelove/Full Metal Jacket/2001/A Clockwork Orange/and even Eyes Wide Shut
-Bram Stoker's Dracula is a fascinating movie, since it was made using only traditional film techniques (reverse filming, rear projection) - no motion control of CGI

I must say I did like Bram Stoker's and Full Metal Jacket :) They were both very good (can't speak from a film student's POV here ;) ) Has ne1 seen shadow of the vampire (I think it was called)? with john malcovich about the filming of Nosferatu? Heh, that was entertaining

Recently, "AI: Artificial Intelligence" was one that I really liked. You could feel the Kubrick and see the Spielberg. Jude Law and Haley Joel Osment were incredible together, and that motorized Teddy Bear stole the show.

I saw that a few days ago. I agree, I could feel Kubrick. The flesh fair ideea, and the entire concept was amazing, isnightfull anbd thought provoking. What pissed me off was the way you could see spielburg had put in the hugely tacky scenes of declarations of undying love, that were completely predictable, unoriginal, and in my mind ruined the film. I don't think the film lived up to what it could have been. Towards the end I was sitting there waiting for it 2 end. :mad: Which is a shame

My favorite movie? I can't think of it I'm sure.

I love movies like "Event Horizon." I love (I just figured this specific thing out the other day when I saw a preview for a new movie coming out called "13 Ghosts" or something like that) to be frightened by movies with scary/mean ghosts in them. Those scare the hell out of me! Ghosts that mean nothing but to either harm the person or frighten the hell out of them. And what more could you ask from a horror flick?

Then I love movies like "American Beauty" that make you feel sort of enlightened after you're done watching it. The ones that make you see past your own minor problems in life and see things in a bigger picture.

I love movies. The last one I saw, I mentioned already in another thread, was "Hannibal."

Event Horizon!! What an underrated movie! It is amazing that The guy who played Dr. Weir, (his name escapes me), actually took the show from one of my favorite actors, Laurence Fishburn. (There was one scene of him I could have lived without, though, and that was seeing Weir without a shirt on...rather pathetic to see him sucking his gut in...) Yes, I couldn't sleep after that movie, mainly because of the end. Nice and unexpected.

I think my favorite movie is The Godfather. Others towards the top would be Braveheart, Goodfellas, Heat, Shawshank Redemption, Platoon, and JFK.