Your favorite Musician??

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Which individual musician do you hail as the king? I'm not talking bands here, I'm talking individuals.

Alot of Maiden fans think that Steve Harris is da bomb, and just as many think Bruce is. I personally have alot of musicians that I just think are unbelievable because of their musical talent, song writing ability, personality, stage presence etc....

Some of my favorites are:

Steve Morse: The guy can play guitar like no other. He is a really nice guy too. I spent a fair bit of time with Steve in March, and he is really friendly and funny. Steve is such a diverse guitar player. He can play almost any style, but more importantly, play it well.

Bruce Dickinson: Umm.... this guy is a pretty good singer. Any of you's heard of him? Nah, Bruce is an awesome singer, and a great frontman... he can write some kick ass songs (Mmm.... Revelations!), and is as funny as a motherfucka.

Jon Lord: Deep Purple's keyboard player, and founding member. Lord and Ian Paice are the only 2 that have been in Purple from the start, and are still in the band today. Only recently has Jon missed a Purple gig because of a knee operation, and he was replaced by former Rainbow keyboard wiz Don Airey, but thankfully, Jon is back behind the organ now. Jon is absolutley an amazing musician. Nobody makes the sounds from a Hammond Organ like Jon does. He is an inspiration for so many keyboard players today, and he can write some incredible music. The concerto for Group and Orchestra which Jon composed is very classy, and his latest solo album Pictured Within is incredibly moving. Very mellow and relaxed, but stirs up every emotion possible!

But latley, there is one musician that absolutley stands out for me, and he is a drummer.... which is weird, cause I generally go for guitarists. Anyway, the man in question is Mr Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater. This guy is absolutley phenomenal! The best drummer in the world.
When I listen to Dream Theater songs, I generally play air drums more than any other air instrument. His fills are mind blowing. He is a damn talented song writer, and lyric writer.
Everything that Mike is involved with turns to gold. Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, and Transatlantic are all fantastic, and largley because of Mike.
He produces all the albums that he is involved with, he directs all the Dream Theater video stuff,
He can sing.... shit can he sing! His vocals on Transatlantic are really great! I wish there was more of em!
And above all..... he is damn funny, has a great personality, and is good to the fans!
Mike Portnoy rules!!! :cool:

John Petrucci, the greatest guitarist around at the moment. Just listen to his solo in Scarred, his work in Another Day and the last couple of minutes of Learning to Live.

Ok, heres some bizzarish ones noone else here will probably think of :)

Joey thingamy, the drummer from slipknot (the actual drummer, not the other 3 nuts :) ) He is an extremely good drummer, who also writes a lot of their guitar riffs as well.

Mark Tremonti, the guitarist from Creed, can write really heavy riffs and then turn around and write the music to stuff like with arms wide open.

Jon Schaffer, you all know who he is, GREAT songwriter and rather good rhythm guitarist.

Matt Barlow, very versatile vocalist, up there with Bruce, Hansi, Ronnie and Sebastian in my book!

Alexei doobylacky from COB, cant sing to save his life, but WHAT a guitarist!

Steve Harris, great bass player back in the 80s, even better now! Of course, his songwriting aint too shabby either!

Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman, when it comes to thrash, *noone* beats these guys. :headbang:

Ronnie James Dio - has been my hero since Heaven And Hell, and beyond. His contributions to songwriting and vocals with Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio have made those bands great.

Kai Hansen - the one person I want to see live one day. Apart from the albums he put out with Helloween, his work with Gamma Ray is sensational. The band has gotten even better since he took over the vocals as well from 'Land Of The Free'.

Blackie Lawless!!

Singer, songwriter, guitarist, bassist, producer, manager & marketing, frontman & brilliant showman and cool funny hair.

Ok - so he will never be remember for his work on guitar, but I still want to be like him! :D

Originally posted by Sydo
Blackie Lawless!!

Singer, songwriter, guitarist, bassist, producer, manager & marketing, frontman & brilliant showman and cool funny hair.

Ok - so he will never be remember for his work on guitar, but I still want to be like him! :D
Dont forget that chainsaw penis thing!

OH MY GOD I forgot Tom Araya! He has the coolest voice for thrash EVER. I also met him, and shook his hand. Tom rules. I wish I was Tom. Then id be in a great band, be able to play an instrument, get lots of women, write great songs, have loads of money and lead a happy life. *sigh*

:lol:

I can't seem to find anyone who i like better then Mike Patton and Devin Townsend.

Mike is just a nut,pure and simple,but everything he does just seems to work for me. which reminds me,i gotta buy his new cd.

Devy is the same,cept better. I don't think i've heard anything of his that rates below a 8/10.

close runners up are Peter Tagntren,Jello Biafra and Alexi Laiho.

Scandinavians have crap names that are to hard to remember spelling for.

Although I know he's not the greatest musician in the world, I have to say Adrian Smith -- I don't think he's ever done anything I haven't liked, his solos are heart stopping (for me, anyway;)), and he's humble as fuck as well :) Not a drop of rock star about him.

And the fact he left Maiden at the height of their powers, because he wasn't satisfied artistically, says a fuckload!

In no particular order

Guitarists:

Bruce Kulick. You name it, he can play it. Thoroughly nice bloke too :).

Tony Iommi. The backbone of Sabbath.

Jon Schaffer. For riffs and rhythm parts that are always more interesting than the lead breaks.

Brian May. A signature sound you can spot miles away

Bassists:

Steve Harris. Any list without him is incomplete

Geddy Lee. Just because...

Vocalists:

Bruce Dickinson. Range, charisma and talent in bucketloads

Ian Gillan. See above

Paul Stanley. Underrated both as a singer and songwriter

Tony Martin. The best singer Sabbath ever had.

Freddie Mercury. (RIP) Unmistakable and irreplaceable

Drummers:

John Bonham. (RIP) Integral to Zep's sound, so much so that they couldn't go on without him :cry:

Neil Peart. Impeccable timing, rhythm and brains too

Eric Carr. (RIP) Talented, underrated and sadly missed...

Clive Burr. Go and listen to NOTB right now and tell me I'm wrong. I dare ya!

W

Guitarists
John Petrucci - phenomenal guitarist and songwriter
Jon Schaffer - unmistakable riffs
Mark Tremonti - ...see Spawny's response :)
Tony Iommi - the father of metal guitar, period.

Bassists
Steve Harris - needs no explanation
Les Claypool - I don't think anyone I've heard plays bass like this man.
John Myung - classical bass sounds great!

Drummers
Mike Portnoy - THE best drummer I have ever heard.
Clive Burr - what Wrath said. :)

Vocalists
Bruce Dickinson - I'm more of a fan of his songwriting ability than his voice, which says alot, coz man this guy can sing!
Matthew Barlow - The best range I have ever heard. Deep grunts and an awesome wail make Barlow one of my fav singers.
Mike Patton - I am listening to The Best Of Faith No More as I type and Mike Patton is awesome, nuff said.

:D

Guitarists:

Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) - Great song writer and guitarist. Just listen to his solo albums
John Petrucci (DT) - Awesome bloke. and one hell of a guitar player. Check out his solo in Under a Glass moon
Michael Romeo (Symphony X) - Phenominal guitarist. Plays a guitar with only 18 frets...
Steve Morse - Legend and a terrific guy.

Bassists:

Steve Harris - of course...
Billy Sheehan - Legend, check out his playing on his solo album - he is even a great lead guitar player as well.
Dave LaRue (SMB, Dregs) - The nicest bloke in the music business. Great talent to boot.

Drummers:
Mike Portnoy (DT) - what needs to be said, this guy is a legend with perfect timing.
Hal Aponte (Ice Age) - This guy is the Neil Peart of the new millenium. Top bloke as well.
Mark Zonder (FW) - another legend drummer. His timing and sound are unmistakable.
Nicko McBrain - nothing need be said.

Keys:
Jordan Rudess (DT) - freak!!
Mike Pinella (Symphony X) - just listen to V, and you'll understand why.

Vocals:
Bruce - Awesome vocalist, pioneer of metal singing.
Josh Pincus (Ice Age) - The best singer around at the moment.
Daniel Gildenlow (POS) - Wierd. Great variety in his voice.
Mike Patten (Fantomas, Faith No More) - another wierd vocalist, and a top bloke

Blackie Lawless for the exact reasons Sydo said!!!!

Ronnie James Dio for his majestic voice and great song construction.

Eddie Van Halen... such an innovative guitarist. I still find it hard to believe Eruption was done in 1978 and imagine people's reactions when they heard it.

Steve Harris and Jon Schaffer for being brilliant at bass/guitar and awesome songwriters and keeping their bands so true to metal :D

As far as just voices go.... Sebastian Bach is #1 with Brucey not far off hehe.

And as far as best frontmen go... Bruce Dickinson, Paul Stanley and Jani Lane rule :)

Originally posted by The Trooper
Blackie Lawless for the exact reasons Sydo said!!!!

And let us not forget he..

FUCK's LIKE A BEAST!!

..And isn't that the meaning of life for ALL us guys?

:D :D

Originally posted by Sydo

And let us not forget he..

FUCK's LIKE A BEAST!!

..And isn't that the meaning of life for ALL us guys?

:D :D

Ive been doing it wrong! :lol:

Bassist- Cliff Burton (RIP) cant think of anyone else that can/could play a four string bass like a six string guitar :D

Guitarist- Ian Moss Good Australian Guitarist
Tommy Emmanual as above and inventive as fuck

Vocals-Brucey, Phil Anselmo, Jimmy Barnes, all good at what they do and inventive chaps..maybe not Jimmy but hey

Drummer- Nicko McBrain Brilliant man and funny as fuck
Jon Bonham(RIP) power behind Led Zep
bah crap got this far and forgot the other fella i had in my head dammit

alrounders- Mike Patton this mans passion for music is unbelievible, Hevy Devy same as Mike Patton

if i think of more I'LL BE BACK!! :lol: