Your favourite beer

Mmmh, just had Goose Island's IPA, I REALLY enjoyed this one! Maybe American Pale Ale would be better name, but who cares, It tastes great! :kickass:

Btw. Prague was very nice! Very cheap lagers, not as much diversity with the beers, for example almost every bar had only couple of different beers. But of course there were also some beer restaurants, which had lots of different beers. All in all, very beautiful city, cheap food and beer...:headbang:

I tried Ayinger Celebrator over the weekend. I also had Chimay Blue and Affligem Double for the second time.

Oh, and I had Ghosttown Flavoured Stout... first few sips were good, but it got annoying by the end. Black licorice flavour was over-powering.

My friends have alot of photos, but they havenät uploaded them yet.

Btw. Has anyone tasted Beer Here beers? I remember tasting the Fat Cat Red Ale, and it was amazing! I now decided to order some beer from Denmark to Finland, I just sent an e-mail asking how much it would cost...

Can't say I've ever seen the name before...

New beers I had last weekend were Boulevard Double Wide IPA (corked and fantastic!), Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (probably the best pumpkin beer I've tasted), and Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron.

Check out what my Province is starting to bring in for the Fall and Winter seasons (get your jealously pants on!):

Cannery Maple Stout / 5.5 / 650 / $5.80
Ayinger Celebrator / 7.2 / 330 / $3.45
Garrison Imperial I.P.A. / 7 / 500 / $4.25
Bacchus Flemish Old Brown / 4.5 / 375 / $4.50
Celt Bronze Crafted Ale / 4.5 / 500 / $3.65
Marston's Pedgree V.S.O.P. / 6.7 / 500 / $3.50
Wychwood Goliath / 4.2 / 500 / $3.50
Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale / 7 / 500 / $4.60
Southern Tier Choklat / 11 / 650 / $9.85
Fuller's 1845 Bottle Conditioned Ale / 6.3 / 500 / $3.50
Affligem Dubbel / 6.8 / 330 / $2.75
Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Triple / 9 / 500 / $5.95
Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique 2011 / 10 / 750 / $9.95
Box Steam Funnel Blower / 4.5 / 500 / $3.55

LAVA, Smoked Imperial Stout - 500 ml - Iceland
St Ambroise Russian Imperial Stout - 341 ml - Quebec
Nogne 0 Imperial Stout - 500 ml - Norway
Box Steam Dark & Handsome (Old Ale) - England
Great Lakes Winter Ale - 750 ml - Ontario
Traquair Jacobite Ale - 330 ml - Scotland
Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout - 650 ml - New York
Brooklyn Monster Ale - 355 ml - New York
Dominus Vobiscum Double - 500 ml - Quebec
Affligem Tripel - 330 ml - Belgium
Solstice D'Hiver - 4 x 341 - Quebec
Lake of Bays Mocha Porter - 750 ml - Ontario
Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout - 650 ml - Ontario

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale / 9.0 / 650 / $8.95
Brasseurs de Montreal La Stout Ghosttown / 6.6 / 341 / $2.85
Wychwood King Goblin / 6.6 / 500 / $3.50
Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale / 5.5 / 650 / $4.95
St Ambroise Pumpkin Ale / 5.0 / 4x341 / $9.95
Southern Tier Pumking / 9.0 / 650 / $9.00
Dieu du Ciel! Corne du Diable IPA / 6.5 / 4x341 / $11.60

Sam Adams Utopias

Fullers Vintage Ale
Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale
Christoffel Winter Bier Jug
Jenlain Or Biere Blonde
La Chouffe
Bah Humbug Christmas Cheer Ale
Unibroue 17 Grand Reserve
Samuel Adams New World Triple
Mill St. Barley Wine
St.Peters Winter Ale

Gift Packs:
Biere Du Boucanier Mix Pack
Samuel Smith Selection
Erdinger Gift Pack
6 Exclusive Belgian Ales
Amsterdam Entertainer
Historic Ales Of Scotland
Rickard's Taster Pack
Bavarian Alps 3 Collector Bottle Gift Pack
OCB Holiday Discovery Pack
St. Ambroise Gift Pack
Innis & Gunn Connoisseur Oak Collection
King Brewery 3 Kings
Taste Of Belgium
Alexander Keiths Barrel Gift Pack
Faxe Premium Gift Pack
Old Speckled Hen Bottle and Glass
Tiger Gift Pack
European Beer Mix Pack
Duvel Twinpack with Glass
Maredsous Chalice Gift Pack
De Koninck Belgian Gift Pack
Mill Street Organic Gift Pack
Mill Street Tankhouse Gift Pack
Mill Street Coffee Porter Gift Pack
Chimay Grand Reserve Canister
St. Bernardus Gift Pack
St. Peters Twinpack with Glass
Sapporo Holiday 2011 Gift Pack
Stella Artois Chalice Gift Pack
Steam Whistle Gift Pack

^ I picked one up last year, and as part of the pack, Gulden Draak was amazing. I shall be picking this pack up again (probably a few this time)!
Biere Du Boucanier Mix Pack was very good last year as well, and I have no idea what the "6 Exclusive Belgian Ales" are, but I expect something I'll enjoy.

Some of the stuff listed there is garbage, but some I am really excited about.

Edit: Taste of belgium is just a Stella, Leffe, and Hoegaarden pack. 6 Belgian Ales is where the Gulden Draak came from.

Stella, Leffe, and WhoseGarden? is not nearly what I would consider a taste of Belgium... But, yes, Gulden Draak is Billy Badass for sure. I had it in that same pack. I thought for sure it was called Taste of Belgium. Perhaps it was way back when. I'll go check it out. I think the worst part about beer stores in this city is that none of them puts their inventory on web. I don't want a "Learn About Beer" page, nor do I care about the history of your store; I want a "Learn About Our Beer Inventory" page.

Hahaha, I thought the same thing. They should rename it to "Taste of Macro-Belgium" or somethin'.
I looked into it and apparently that 6 Belgian Ales is the one that had Gulden Draak.
Maybe certain details are changed from country to country when imported... probably not, but you never know, lol.

Our liquor corporation has a full inventory list for each store, but you have to know what you're looking for to search if it's available first.

^ LOL What's an example?

I plan on stocking up soon! Last year, I had a good haul, and I still have some left, actually.
Can't wait to grow my collection again :D... it's a sickness. I started getting all OCD about going to the store to try every seasonal they had.

If you had to pick one item from my list, Shred, what would it be?

It's hard for me to say, but I am really excited to try the "Unibroue 17 Grand Reserve"... Funny thing is, it's basically a "local" beer for me.

Southern Tier's chocolate stout was really enjoyable, and I rarely have good stouts these days. I have one bottle of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout left :( ... I heard they stock it every year, but that has turned out to be false. Best stout ever.

I'd like to see what's in the Bernardus gift pack. The 12 is awesome! If I had a spare bill laying around, I'd probably get on about the Utopias, just to try it. I think the Dieu du Ciel Solstice D'Hiver is one I'd be excited to see. One of the shops here started carrying Deiu du Ciel - I'll have to watch to see if this one makes it here. I would probably head to the Brooklyns first since I can't get that here.

One of the questions they were wrong about was how yeast is removed from ales and lagers. The answer said ale yeast was skimmed off the top and lager beer was pumped off the yeast. Those answers are misleading. Cold break is skimmed off the top of any beer, and all yeast flocculates and drops out of suspension. All yeast is harvested from the bottom of the fermenter. If you're skimming yeast off the top of an ale, it's not done doing its business yet.

I had Green Flash's Grand Cru this weekend - what a monster of a beer. Pretty close in character to Rochefort 10, though more bitterness. But the dark fruits are all there in the taste.

I actually have about 10-12 Bernardus ABT 12s and 6-8 Solstice D'Hivers left in my collection. Both are fantastic.

Sounds like skimming the yeast off the top of an ale will cause the brew to lose some of its alcohol and carbonation. Not cool.
A lot of people think that high ABV is for cheap drunks, and makes a beer taste like shit. I keep telling them that high ABV in a quality beer adds a lot of depth to the flavour profile.

Grand Cru looks delish... my favourite style of beer.

Like in the case of India Pale Ales. Low ABV makes the beer sort of "thin". Well it might not be the alcohol per se, but if you add more hops and malts you have to balance it with alcohol. Or atlease that's what it seems like...

Style of beer is more what dictates the make-up of the beer, whether it's a Pale Ale, India Pale Ale, Imperial India Pale Ale, Stout, Russian Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Oyster Stout, Porter, Smoked Porter, Baltic Porter, Bock, Maibock, Doppelbock, etc. etc. A good place to check for styles is the BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) Style Guidelines, http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/.

But, most of the styles are about finding the appropriate balance - you can't simply dump a ton of hops into a 1.046 base beer as the bitterness will be overwhelming. You need to design the appropriate malt backbone to support the bitterness. Adding more malt typically results in more alcohol. And, of course, pairing the proper yeast to the ingredients is the most important design step of all (aside from cleanliness, of course, but that's a process step, not a design step).

Ok guys, you're on a desert island, you can only have 1 bottle of beer. Which would you take!?

At the moment I'd take Nogne IPA.

Am I stuck on that island? One beer wouldn't give much solace. I'd prefer a good boil kettle, a rhizome of Cascade hops, a bag of barley kernels, and a fermenter. I'd prefer to change the island to fit my needs rather than wrestle with whether or not to actually drink my only bottle of beer...