Votes: 4 4.2%
  • The Sermon

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Return To Serenity

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Troubled Dreams

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
THE RITUAL is the best SONG from the album!

Yeah, I hope Testament plays the song on next Tour!!!!

cheers everybody

Man, it would be killer if they played it! I've never seen any bootlegs of them doing it live on the Ritual tour and I'd sure love to.

I agree with some people here. I'd hardly say that The Ritual is a poor album. Sure it did split the Testament fans somewhat but it was good to see them trying new things. Don't get me wrong I love it when a band does stay true to their roots and the whole idea of 'don't change a winning formula' and 'if its that good you wanna hear more' which are both true statements. However to hear something like this was a breath of fresh air for me personally from one of my fav all time thrash bands.

Electric Crown is a real gem and gets my vote but the title track always has a soft spot with me!

Did anyone buy the cassette version at first like myself before buying the CD many years later?

Yes, and I still own my "The Ritual" cassette all these years later! :lol: Incidentally, I also still own an edition of a long defunct UK metal mag called "Raw", which featured an article previewing the album. One of the tracks listed for inclusion was called "March Of The Nomad", which I think I'm quite safe in assuming was actually the original working title for what eventually became "Troubled Dreams"! Also in the same article, "Electric Crown" was wrongly titled as "Electric Clown". :p

This album is definitely Testament's equivelant to Metallica's "Black Album", which is probably why it's the album least liked in general by fans. Me, I've always loved "The Ritual", though I never had a problem with the "Black Album" either, so the band not playing thrash really was a non-issue for me. Every song on the album is good or great, though my two fave songs from this album have always been "Deadline" and "As The Seasons Grey". If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for "Deadline" purely for that crushing riff that starts at 2:22! When the drums and rest of the band crash in during that riff, headbanging and air guitaring (unless Im actually playing it on guitar!) are simply automatic for me! :D

It's a great track. In addition to the said riff one can't not marvel at the vocal performance (I've always enjoyed the short phrases sung a cappella, like "alive" in "P.C." or "she don't take no prisoners..." in "Dragon Attack"; here we have 2 such parts) and the two short, yet fantastic leads.

I can't believe Eric called this song "gay" recently and said it's the only Testament song he doesn't like, although I do see it's not as intense as most of their songs, even on this album.

It's a great track. In addition to the said riff one can't not marvel at the vocal performance (I've always enjoyed the short phrases sung a cappella, like "alive" in "P.C." or "she don't take no prisoners..." in "Dragon Attack"; here we have 2 such parts) and the two short, yet fantastic leads.

I can't believe Eric called this song "gay" recently and said it's the only Testament song he doesn't like, although I do see it's not as intense as most of their songs, even on this album.

I know what you mean about the vocal performance, and it actually is one of my fave vocal performances overall by Chuck. :)

Eric said that "Deadline" is "gay"? Ah well, there goes any slight hope I had of Testament ever playing that song live. lol :( For me, the section of the song started by the riff I mentioned above, is one of the most intense sections in any Testament song. Then again, I don't believe a song has to be fast in order to be intense. That towering riff, which segues into one of Alex's most fiery solos, followed by the chants of "Live! Die!" are anything but "gay"! I love Eric, but sheesh, I really can't see his logic on that one... :\

Well, they actually allegedly did play it live back in the day, which is surprising. I think user bubba420 posted a list of his bootlegs here one day and I was surprised to find Deadline on one of the setlists.

The Ritual has some great songs on it, but the flow of the album is a bit slow overall. If there were more variety in song tempo's it would've been a much better listening experience.

The Ritual has some great songs on it, but the flow of the album is a bit slow overall. If there were more variety in song tempo's it would've been a much better listening experience.

If I had one gripe with "The Ritual", it would be that due to it's one dimensional nature, it can be a difficult record to listen to as a whole. In that regard, it has a lot in common with other albums by thrash bands that are wholly, or predominantly mid-paced, like "Youthanasia". Which is another album made up of great individual songs, but can be a bit of a trial to sit through in it's entirety due to it's one dimensional nature. But individually, taken out of a full album context, I can't fault the quality of the songs on "The Ritual". There's not a single bad song on it, and several which are highly underrated in the band's discography.