Your first computer memories

my first computers was like a 286, but don't remember the specks. Year was something like 1992. The next computer was a 133Hz pentium in 1996 and next one was 1.7Ghz computer in 2000 and this current 2.67Ghz one I've had since 2006. As it seems that my computer lifecycles have been 4-6 years, maybe it's time to get the next one soon...

oh holy shit...back in '90 my mom picked up some piece of crap used epson computer that had 2 5.25" floppy drives, 16K ram, had no HD, and thus only had MS DOS installed on the system itself.

next up, around 94, was a packard bell 486 with win 3.11...goddamn that thing was a total POS!

I first got my hands on computers abusing the old BBC Micro systems at school, followed by PC's running MS-DOS then Windows 3.1, My first computer was an Atari 64XE which ran a cassette player for storage. :p I didn't own a computer again until I was about 20, my uncle gave me his old Viglen 386 system running Windows 3.1. I think he was somewhat taken aback when within less than 4 days I had gutted it and installed a new mobo, RAM, CPU, gfx & sound card. (hell, in those days the CPU was hardwired into the motherboard. It had to go) I think after the upgrade it was running about 128mb of RAM with some now-dead brand of CPU running at about 300mhz.

My dad is an IT-technician, so i have grown up with computers since birth(Im an 89'er.).. but the first real memory i have is when dad got home from work, and he had an Atari ST that he had found in the back of a storage room at work.. hooked it up to the tv, and then the whole family was addicted. :lol:
I remember that i spent whole days playing Stunt Car Driver with that awesome Tac-2 Joystick. :D

A grey and boring looking compaq with a needle printer which was loud enough to let the whole neighborhood know that you are printing^^

I had a comodore when i was really young... for those that don't remember... loading games from Tapes (same as the audio ones you probably don't remember either)

After that, my fondest memory is

cd/games
--->
cd/ duke3d.exe
---> Win!!!!

First computer I guess was one of those crazy Commodore 64 units. What you saw on screen looked absolutely nothing like the GUIs that currently have (the Windows ones being based off Windows 95). Opening programs was kinda like the DOS based thing, typing everything out. Doing all this shit when you're like, 4-5 years old definitely turns you into a bit of a geek (which I definitely still am and hell, all of us here on the Sneap forum are in some way or another)
It had some ridiculously good games on it.

After that was our Windows 95 PC that we got in '95)
It was a Pentium P54C 120MHz CPU,16 megabytes of RAM, 2 megabye Diamond Stealth 64 graphics card that had no 3D hardware acceleration.
I remember playing Doom on this computer (and today my the Doom Engine games are still my favorite computer games of all time) and also Duke Nukem 3D (another one of my favorite guitars ever)
Eventually we got a Diamond Viper graphics card, 4 megabytes, which actually had 3D hardware acceleration, so I could finally play stuff that was was Direct 3D compatible with the glory of hardware acceleration. When the OpenGL driver update for the Viper came out, yep you guessed it, I was playing Quake II in the OpenGL graphics mode. I remember being so amazed by the lighting effects in the game.

And well, I guess around June last year was my first experience ever getting to use a professional DAW (Ableton Live Suite 8.0) and hence where my interest in this whole AE thing started

Remember when AOL came out....and you had to pay for every minute or hour or however long you were on....oh man did my parents hate me during that time

haha i was just talking to a friend about this the other day, it was a total joke and the connection speed was slow as hell.

oh my 1st comp was a commodore 64! still got the thing havent switched the thing on in years but i might do so tonight actually.

good thread.

A built to order IBM Compatible 486.

Doom 2.
Hexen.
Space Quest 5.
Return to Zork.
Raptor.
Commander Keen.
Halloween Harry.
Wolfenstein 3D.
Star Wars: Rebel Assault.
Legend of Kyrandia.
Prehistorik.
Stunts.
Street Rod 1 and 2.
Ski or Die.
Wacky Wheels.

That's all I can remember offhandly. Good times. :oops:

Black & white Osborne with MS-DOS. I have no idea about the model specs, but it had both a 5,5 inch disk drive and a 3,5 inch disk drive, a turbo button and a few games like Digger. Sadly, it was damaged by a thunderstorm many years ago; it was plugged in during it, and after that it started to smell of smoke while running and had to to be recycled. After that we had a 386 with 3.1 or 3.11 IIRC, I didn't game on it really, as we'd finally gotten a NES which was just way more fun. Then a 486 which I think had Windows 95 already. Started getting back into gaming with PC's, and the Pentium 90mhz we had after the 486 was gamed on quite a lot. Then we got a Pentium II 266mhz IIRC, and it even had a graphics card in it, or quite possibly two; I'm pretty sure it had a Diamond Viper and also some Voodoo type thing, which I remember was faster but randomly either worked or didn't for mysterious reasons. I think it was the first one that we built with my dad too; all desktops we got later we'd always build too. After the Pentium 266mhz one we had more obviously, but they're so modern already that I won't bother listing any more. I think we had some shitty laptop or two in there somewhere too along with some other desktops (I remember one that ran NT4.0 for example), but they were stuff my dad used for work so we weren't allowed to mess around on them.

Serious. Allready an apple fan back then!
Only had 1 PC in the middle of all my MACness. And that lasted for about 4 months.
applemac2.jpg

Being born in Eastern Germany, computers just weren't around in my early childhood. Few did exist, but they were absolutely out of reach for "regular folk".

It took some years for PCs to massively enter households after the Iron Curtain dropped. When I got my first Commodore 64 it was already so dated but I had lots of fun with that thing.

Thanks to a buddy's dad however, who was kinda geeky, I didn't have to experience a sad, Doom-less childhood. :lol:

I was 3 or 4 when we got this beast:
photo-pravetz-8a-1.jpg

I was one of the few people that had a computer back then. When I started going to school my parents told me not tell anyone (probably because someone might steal it...crazy times)

Later on we had a 286, 386, 486, cyrix, 586 (pentium), pentium II, pentium III, celeron@2.66ghz, dual core e2180@2.00ghz. I overclocked it to 2.66ghz and I am going to upgrade it some time soon.