Your first computer memories

My first PC was a Pentium 100.

I was 5 and it had the turbo option, my dad built it and nearly 14 years later its still working with all the original components.

It was one of these in about 1981 or so. Played some game on it with the numberpad, where you had a frog and tried to catch a fly. The higher the number, the higher the frog jumped up and further his tongue stuck out.

Commodore_PET_2001.jpg

One fond memory of the C-64 days: WASTELAND.

1755-1.jpg

What an amazing game. My best friend and I spent a couple of years on it, before we finally beat it. (ok, my adventure gaming skill has increased slightly over the years) So addictive, so frustrating.

For those of you who don't know, Wasteland was what the Fallout series was based on. It was a "spiritual successor."

Still, I'd love to see someone recreate Wasteland for the PC, as they did "Bard's Tale." oh hell, there's another can of worms....

Hey, did anyone play ELITE back then? One of my all-time favorite games. I'm still waitng for Jumpgate 2 to come out, kinda like ELITE on hyper-steroids.

Wasteland huh? I don't remember that one. The only adventure style game I remember, that was pretty epic, was kind of like a Blade Runner storyline. I wish I remembered the name...

Did you ever play the Beachhead games? Or the old Rambo games?

Do you know dude, the turbo button actually slowed it down as the turbo was engaged already :lol: Thats what my mate told me the other day at work anyhow- 386 was before my computer days.

Your friend was right. I got curious and did a quick research here. For those interested: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/switchTurbo-c.html
The turbo switch was basically a "compatibility mode" feature, to slow down the machine for older software.

We need an old school PC gaming thread. Someone mentioned Bard´s Tale :kickass: I couldn´t understand shit of english at that time :lol:

No - but Hewlett Packard and Bell do exist. I haven't read up on them, but I think they were one company back then.

Nah, "..In spite of the similarity of their names, there has never been any corporate connection between the original or later Packard Bell and Hewlett Packard, or Bell System..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Bell :)

My first own computer was pentium 75 with 8 megs RAM and 1.2 gig HD. I had NES before that, but sold it due to some stupid reason (a decision I regret still :( ).

First touch with computers was with my cousin's 286 few years earlier, though. And even before that playing C64 games on some friends' computers. I especially remember how cool it was to play Spy Hunter on C64 with a steering wheel controller! That was ace! :D

One of the best documentaries on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOjmGxK5EQ
:p

As a little kid, I had the indecrible discovery that .exe-files were the ones you needed to run to use a program. After that I deleted most the .dll-files on my Win 3.11 system "to save HD space". Like you could have guessed, after some time I realised that half of the programs weren't working anymore. Live and learn.

| = magic wand

@ = angry demon

lol love it... anyone ever play a game called Fangband on the 186/286?

Fuck yeah 90's
I occasionally played on my oldest brothers computer, think it was his bad ass overclocked to 300mhz amd with 3 fans on the cpu :lol:
The first computer I owned was a Pentium II ~550mhz... Star Craft!!!

In January I was in a bunker not far from here, as I entered it, it just felt like I was going back 30 years in the past. It was sort of messy, nostalgic and scary. Just 80's computer stuff everywhere, and not just parts everywhere, lots of computer stuff everywhere. That was quite impressive, seeing walls and even rooms filled to the ceilings with C64s, Apples and other very old machines, floppy disks etc.
And this goddamn yellow plastic everywhere :puke:

I used to muck around with my dads VZ200. Everything either had to be loaded by tape or typed in via a code book. It took ages just to load a game where you controlled an attack helicopter. It also ran snake!! Omg i could never go back to those graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VZ200

I've been an Apple dude since day one.

Started with my dads Mac Classic, which he still has in his basement. With *surprise* an external modem!
Then we had a IIe for a couple of years,
then he got a higher end Performa. The bane of my existence.
After that nasty massacre we got a G3 tower.

From that point to now Ive bought my own which has included:

iMac (1st Gen.)
eMac
White iBook
24" iMac (previous Gen.)
17" MBP (just made previous Gen.)

My family had the Comodore 128 which could also run Comodore 64 programs. My brother could program it in binary machine language when he was 13. He made a game very similar to Astroid with bad guy space ships that you would shoot at and try to avoid being hit by. And yes he is a nerd.

Does anybody remember playing the Caveman Ugh-lympics? I loved that game.