Your Gear thread.

CF87

Dec 15, 2003
I realize there is a musician forum, but wanted to make a thread strictly for people here who play and want to discuss gear and sound and even recording equipment.

Heads/Cabs

Line 6 Spider 3 HD 150 Head, which I recently bought having 30 days to try out. I really dig the clean and disto channels on this head and no longer need to use my distortion pedals which is nice because they sound like crap to me and drain batteries anyways. I think for being a digital/solid state head this amp sounds very good and the distort channel is very massive and rich sounding in a sense almost like a Tube head(sure it does not sound as good as a peavey or marshall Tube head or anything), for the price is probably not beatable when it comes to solid state heads. The great thing also is the tone stays the same regardless the volume unlike my previous head and there are some nice effects.

Ampeg VH-140c Head. I might actually sell this.

Crate Blue Voodoo 4X12 cab. I plan on getting a 2x12 because it's just to big and a pain in the ass.

Pedals:

Metal Zone
Dr. Distorto

Guitars:

Jackson(forgot model)
Kramer. I really like the look and am thinking about working on it replacing the original pick ups.

No recording gear as of now which kinda sucks.

Amp:
Vox 30W combo, actually quite nice for the price. Mostly I use the Line 6 Pod Farm software, though, because it makes it vastly easier to record ideas and gives me a wide variety of tones.

I also have a little 10W POS that came with my strat knockoff.

I'm saving for an ENGL Fireball. My friend gave me some old Waldorf speakers and I'll build my own cab. That's all in the future, though.

Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR, mahogany body, quilted maple top, rosewood fretboard, locking nut, original floyd trem, emg 81 and 89. Someday I plan on putting in SD Blackouts. I put heavy gauge strings on and keep it in D standard, although I'm gonna put it in C when I get around to it.

Ibanez RG 2EX1. For a cheap ($300 range) metal guitar there is no better option. Licensed EMGs, basewood body, rosewood fretboard, fixed bridge. Plays better than you'd think. Currently in drop C, but I usually keep it in E.

An old Gibson classical guitar. Very nice sound, but I can't play fingerstyle, so I mostly use this when I go on trips and can't bring my electrics.

Austin Bazar (???) Strat knockoff. $120. Barely qualifies as an instrument. Licensed floyd, dunno the rest. Never play it.

Recording gear:
Line 6 UX2. Awesome. Has D/I and mic inputs. Together with the Line 6 Pod Farm software and Live, everything you need for basic recording. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to record without throwing down a boatload of cash. $200.

Pedals:
Boss Metal Zone. This shit sucks, by the way.

Btw, greys, your pedals drain batteries because you need to plug them in. Go to GC or the nearest equivalent and pick up an AC adapter.

Ibanez S series

Ibanez RG7321 (I got it really cheap and second hand but in good condition. For what it is, it's great tbh)

Fender Telecaster FMT HH

Takamine smtsmt, can't be fucked to check. It's an electro acoustic and cost around £600.

Amp is shitty Randall G2 somethingsomething but by summer I should have a Koch Powertone II. I have a Pod XT which I only use for practicing with at night, not recording. For recording I use an Edirol FA-66.

Roland TD-9 electric drums bought from a friend but in pretty much perfect condition.

Custom made didgeridooo.

Harmonica.

My dead grandad's violin, I have no idea what make it is but it's around 60 years old and sounds pretty fine.

We have a piano downstairs also.

For guitars I have an Epiphone Les Paul classic that I got for a Christmas present. Got it for 350, but the original price is 400.

I also have a Fender acoustic that I got for my birthday a while back.
My first guitar is a Squire strat. I don't really like it, but I'm keeping it because it was my first guitar and means something.

For amps I have a Line 6 that I got for 100 bucks. Not horribly bad, but not good. Pretty decent though for the price.

Then I have a M-Audio guitar/mic computer interface for the computer. Which I can install amp settings.

Oh yeah, and also I have a violin. Don't know the company or anything, but it's quite nice.

And a Casio keyboard that I got for free.

studio1ne4.jpg

That was my last successful setup.

ok, here we go...

basses:
dingwall AB II 5 string
pedula hexabuzz fretless 6 string
warwick fortress mm 5 string
conklin groove tools 7 string
dean rhapsody 8 string

guitars:
jackson kevin bond sig rhoads
jackson kelly 7 string
ibanez sa260
ibanez af85
ibanez s7320 7 string

amps, cabs, and rack:
isp theta
marshall 1960 cab
gk 1001 rb
gk neo 212
bbe 882i
korg rack tuner
furman power conditioner

drums:
mapex pro m se 5 shell
yamaha musashi oak snare
paiste twenty series cymbals (2 crash, 1 ride, 1 hats)
dw 9000 double pedal
tama, dixon, mapex hardware

fun stuff

edit: oh, i also have a yamaha 1000 watt powered mixer and a pair of shitty behringer 1 15+horn PA speakers. thats currently my home audio system.
~gR~

guitars:

jackson_ks2_whole_front.jpg
(I have this model in Black)

sm_ironbird.jpg
(Black also).

Amp:

I have a Laney model which I believe is solid state.
It is by far the sickest amp I have ever used. I only ran a metal zone pedal through it.

Drums:
The typical 5 peice by peice, with shitty cymbals and taped up hardware.
Pedals:
Iron Cobra's with Cobra Coils.

Fuck yes at gear. Good thread

Guitars & Pedals:
Fender MIM Fat Strat (don't use)
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Boss ME-33 (don't use)
Boss HM-2
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zoom Tri-Metal distortion pedal

Drums:
PDP drum set
double pedal
Evans heads. Remo on bass drum
Sabian AAX Crash
Sabian AAX Metal ride

Amps & Cabs:
Peavey 5150 (block letter)
Splawn 4X12 cab with vintage 30s
Fender 2X12 cab (don't use)
Marshall AVT50 (don't use)
Roland Microcube (use only at school dorm)

Badass PC I built for recording and various other badasseries

Recording:
Alesis io26 audio interface (will upgrade soon)
Shure SM57
Red5 RVK7 drum mic set (set of 7 mics)
Yamaha HS80M monitors

I used to compose a lot, but now I mostly just record bands.

Bass:
Peavey Grind BXP5 with a Lace Alumitone Bass Bar in the neck position and an Audere onboard preamp w/ 4-band EQ and an Active/Passive Switch. Neck-through 35' scale w/ a mahogany/maple neck and mahogany body wings. Thinking of putting in a brass nut and an EMG HZ in the bridge position. But I love how it sounds now so that might be unnecessary.

Amps and Pedals:
Gallien Krueger Goldline 500 head (hoping to replace by or over the summer)
Gallien Krueger 810GLX
Line 6 LD175 for playing at home
Sansamp Bass Driver Programmable

Indeed. Apparently the Boss Heavy Metal pedals are a lot better, but they do not make them anymore so you'd have to get one used.

I've played them. They're a little bit better, but not really that great. Best pedal I've used was my friend's tube screamer, which is modified to be like the old ones (apparently they used to make them with tubes or something but don't now, I'm not sure, basically the old ones were badass but now they're pretty lame, anyhow this thing sounds badass).

Ultimately you're way better off just plugging straight into the amp (except for a noise gate or a wah or something). If not, a good tube distortion pedal will sound alright but you really can't beat the bitchin' sound of a high-gain amp. This is why I plan on springing for the Fireball instead of trying to BS my way around with pedals.

I don't need distortion pedals anymore so it's not a problem now. I don't plan on using them or getting any others.

If you noticed, I use the HM-2 in my setup (or did when I still recorded, which I'm taking a break from now). All I know (since I don't play any "actual instruments") is that it is incredibly good for vocals.