Your Gear thread.

It's not about being "a little bit better" IMHO, as an HM-2 is quite a different beast from the metal zone. In fact, the HM-2 is AMAZING, depending on the tone you're after. The HM-2 contains pure fucking old school death. Just put all the knobs on full. That's how they did it at Sunlight.

Exactly. The guy who wrote The Swedish DM book actually has a video on Youtube and maxes out everything and gets the exact tone playing some Entombed riffs and also says something about metal-zones being shit. :)

I've been working on a new death metal song for a few weeks finally finishing it alittle earlier. I plan on going to a friends this weekend were he has drums,guitars, and bass laying it down on an 8 track than adding vocals,solo's,etc.. to it. I finally got my sound with my new head and really want to record onto disk because it will be easy to get onto the net. :)

I fucking love this song I wrote strongly:)

Actually, the booklet for Slaughter of the Soul says that the guitar tone on that (and whatever you think of the music, that's a great tone) comes from a metal zone and an HM-2 going into a Peavey. Fun fact.

Well I don't really have any opinion about how it is for guitar, never really used it except to try it out and I'd hardly call that even close to an educated opinion, for obvious reasons. But that's cool.

WAIF, you're right about the MZ being better for noise; I need quick tonal changes and being able to scoop mid frequencies and play around with crazy shit like that is great in a live setting. Too bad mine is dead.

WAIF, you're right about the MZ being better for noise; I need quick tonal changes and being able to scoop mid frequencies and play around with crazy shit like that is great in a live setting. Too bad mine is dead.
I've been trying to get mine back from a friend who borrowed it, but I'm not sure why. The only use for guitar was doing crazy whammy tricks. I'd sell mine for the cost of shipping, tbh.

I've been working on a new death metal song for a few weeks finally finishing it alittle earlier. I plan on going to a friends this weekend were he has drums,guitars, and bass laying it down on an 8 track than adding vocals,solo's,etc.. to it. I finally got my sound with my new head and really want to record onto disk because it will be easy to get onto the net. :)

I fucking love this song I wrote strongly:)
Yeah, lets hear it. If you have a V-Amp or other kind of recording interface, I'm sure you can electronically produce a drum loop and record it yourself.

Scooping mids is fail. Heaviness at the expense of a good guitar sound. Just get a decent amp. Also, I've heard it annihilates the guitar in the mix due to the drums and bass.

So glad people are talking about scooping mids in relation to guitar when it was originally brought up in the context of a style of music/sound that uses no instrumentation how it was meant to be used. :p

Didn't even notice how it got started. Leave it to Ozzman to make generalizations about styles of music he doesn't listen to. I would never do that. What an idiot.

i'm talking about more acoustic style clean tone. mids make them too brill and sharp which is exactly what you don't want with clean tones

edit: btw, i love mids, all of my favorite guitar tones are very mid heavy. however, there is a time and i place for mids and personally, i don't think that clean tones are the place for them

yes but the tone that you are talking about is the classic tele tone known for brightness and a bit of break up in the end. if it didn't have that break up in the end, the brightness would overrun everything and actually turn out to be quite unpleasant sounding