Your Gear thread.

I remember I had one for a bit. They were pretty awesome.

Oh, also I have a Crybaby wah standard that my brother gave me.

Random fact: Metal Zone, while terrible for guitar, is amazing for HN or other harsh electronic stuff. Awesome tonal control.

I have shitty gear. I need someone to help me find the sound I am looking for.

And my PRS Custom SE is sounding like shit.

guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
ESP LTD
Washburn 5 string bass

effects:
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

recording:
Tascam US-122 V-amp for recording. Though I never get around to recording.

amp:
Line 6 Practice Amp

If you noticed, I use the HM-2 in my setup (or did when I still recorded, which I'm taking a break from now). All I know (since I don't play any "actual instruments") is that it is incredibly good for vocals.
I did notice, but that setup would not be conducive to a tolerable instrument sound.
And the voice is a legit instrument tbh.

Random fact: Metal Zone, while terrible for guitar, is amazing for HN or other harsh electronic stuff. Awesome tonal control.
Actually, the booklet for Slaughter of the Soul says that the guitar tone on that (and whatever you think of the music, that's a great tone) comes from a metal zone and an HM-2 going into a Peavey. Fun fact.

Basses:
Jaco 5 string custom fretted
Jaco 5 string custom fretless
Really old Gibson semi-acoustic with warped neck (my dad's first bass)

Rig:
Hartke 3500 350 watt head
David Eden D410XLT 4x10" cab
EV 1x15" cab

Acoustic guitars:
Yamaha FG336SBII steel string
Yamaha nylon string

Guitars:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Sparkle White Bc Rich Ironbird 90's Rave Body with 1980's Platinum Neck
Shitty Stagg Acoustic
1970's Fender Strat USA Made

Bass:
Shitty Stagg 4 String Starter

Effects:
Morley Bad Horsie II Contour Wah (fantastic sounding with a bass)
Morley Little Aligator Volume Pedal
Rocktron Hush Foot Pedal (Sucks)
Boss Acoustic Simulator
Digitech Death Metal Distortion (not bad sounding imo but, i don't use it)

Amp:
Crate GT2000 Head
Crate Cab loaded with 2 Eminence Texas Heat and 2 Eminence Black Powders (Fantastic speaker combo)

Previous Gear:
Bc Rich Bronze Series Warlock with 1 Bridge PUP
Bc Rich Platinum Pro Virgin (i miss it :( )
Carvin Strat
1980's Boss Flanger (my brother has it, i think, i need to get it back)

Future Gear:
Peavey 5150 or JSX, i can't decide
ESP B-406 6 String Bass
Steinberger 5 String Fretless
Electro Harmonix Guitar Synthesizer (GAS GAS GAS)
Boss Bass Synthesizer
Ampeg B115 Amp
Rockwood 5 Piece drumset with Pearl Double Bass Pedal and Ziljian A Custom Cymbals (i shall be getting that very soon, buying it off of a friend for $250-$300)

Oh and around next November/December, i may be getting an original 1960's Vox Wah :kickass:

Does anyone else here know anything about the Line 6 Pod? I bought the latest, most advanced version, because you can create your own guitar tones, and even connect it to your computer and download guitar tones from the internet. However, to create your own guitar tones, you have to read the fucking booklet for hours to learn all the bullshit involved, and I can't be arsed to do so.

Guitars:
Gibson Explorer (I just got it, in love with the damn thing)
Jackson Kelly Star XT with and EMG81 in the bridge
Jackson Dinky with a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz in bridge and neck respectively

Amps:
Laney TF300 solidstate/tube hybrid 120 watt
Bugera 333XL 120 watt all tube combo. Brilliant all tube sound for 3 channels for a decent price.

Effects:
meat and potatoes guy, usually only use distortion and clean. Plan to get a Dunlop Crybaby 535, Digitech Whammy Pedal, Boss DD-5.

Does anyone else here know anything about the Line 6 Pod? I bought the latest, most advanced version, because you can create your own guitar tones, and even connect it to your computer and download guitar tones from the internet. However, to create your own guitar tones, you have to read the fucking booklet for hours to learn all the bullshit involved, and I can't be arsed to do so.

My friend has one. I have the line 6 pod farm software, which is very easy to use. If I remember, though, it wasn't that hard to figure out how to work the Pod itself. The tones are pretty meh, though.

My friend has one. I have the line 6 pod farm software, which is very easy to use. If I remember, though, it wasn't that hard to figure out how to work the Pod itself. The tones are pretty meh, though.
The pre-programmed tones are pretty meh, yes. However, you can create your own tones, and that process is a little bit more involved, since there are so many different elements to it. Like many people, I among other things wish to duplicate the old school Swedish buzzsaw guitar sound. I'm sure someone has already done it, and I can just downlown it to my Pod from the internet.

Entombed used a Boss Heavy Metal distortion pedal through a Peavey combo amp(think a Bandit) if you're wondering how to get it. I'm pretty sure it does not matter what type of amp and pretty much most of those bands used a Boss Heavy Metal through whatever gear was at sunlight.

I've played them. They're a little bit better, but not really that great. Best pedal I've used was my friend's tube screamer, which is modified to be like the old ones (apparently they used to make them with tubes or something but don't now, I'm not sure, basically the old ones were badass but now they're pretty lame, anyhow this thing sounds badass).

Ultimately you're way better off just plugging straight into the amp (except for a noise gate or a wah or something). If not, a good tube distortion pedal will sound alright but you really can't beat the bitchin' sound of a high-gain amp. This is why I plan on springing for the Fireball instead of trying to BS my way around with pedals.

It's not about being "a little bit better" IMHO, as an HM-2 is quite a different beast from the metal zone. In fact, the HM-2 is AMAZING, depending on the tone you're after. The HM-2 contains pure fucking old school death. Just put all the knobs on full. That's how they did it at Sunlight.
If you're looking for a less raunchy/more modern distortion sound, the HM-2 and Metal Zone are not where to look imo. In fact, pedals in general are not where you would want to look first.

Regarding the tubescreamer: As far as I know, there were never tubes in the tubescreamer. The difference between the old ones and the "new" ones was the chip they used in the pedal (and some of the diodes). However, as far as I know, the actualy new tubescreamers (re-issues) use the same chip as the old ones. Many people use the tubescreamer simply for it's EQ properties/tone shaping in front of the amp, and not really for distortion.

Entombed used a Boss Heavy Metal distortion pedal through a Peavey combo amp(think a Bandit) if you're wondering how to get it. I'm pretty sure it does not matter what type of amp and pretty much most of those bands used a Boss Heavy Metal through whatever gear was at sunlight.
I think I read somewhere that they actually did it by linking two Boss Metal Pedals and turning the mids all the way up.

Like many people, I among other things wish to duplicate the old school Swedish buzzsaw guitar sound.
Then just get an HM-2 tbh...

It's not about being "a little bit better" IMHO, as an HM-2 is quite a different beast from the metal zone. In fact, the HM-2 is AMAZING, depending on the tone you're after. The HM-2 contains pure fucking old school death. Just put all the knobs on full. That's how they did it at Sunlight.
If you're looking for a less raunchy/more modern distortion sound, the HM-2 and Metal Zone are not where to look imo. In fact, pedals in general are not where you would want to look first.
I dunno, to me both pedals seemed conducive to mega-distorted, buzzy tones, although the MetalZone honestly seems better suited to noise music.

Regarding the tubescreamer: As far as I know, there were never tubes in the tubescreamer. The difference between the old ones and the "new" ones was the chip they used in the pedal (and some of the diodes). However, as far as I know, the actualy new tubescreamers (re-issues) use the same chip as the old ones. Many people use the tubescreamer simply for it's EQ properties/tone shaping in front of the amp, and not really for distortion.
Yeah, looked it up on wiki, it's the chip. Knew it was something like that. I don't think a tube would fit in a little thing like that...

-2002 Paul Reed Smith Standard 22 w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Custom(B) and Jazz(N) pickups

-2004 Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzio Evolution pickups

-Line 6 uber-metal pedal

-MesaBoogie LoneStar Special Head (on the 5 watt setting, mostly)

-Custom-made 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12 Century Vintage speakers

Fun stuff...

I got my Kelly Star about 6 years ago actually, soon after that they stopped production from what I know and just produced more of the Warriors which I don't really like the shape of. My only gripe with the Kelly Star is that it's neck heavy.

most jacksons are. my kelly is the same way
~gR~