Your job/hobbies

Currently unemployed, lost my last Job as a sales girl in a department store coz of long term illness, but back job hunting now.

Hobbies are reading, (more of a love affair with books really). Needlepoint like Cross Stitch, Embroidery and Knitting. Stargazing. Drinking copious amounts of tea. Writing, I've written three novels, all fiction and have been sending off my first book to publishers for the last 6 months or so. Swimming, walking (I walk everywhere if I can). Eating cheese, I'll try any kind lol and listening to music and ferreting out new bands to go on my iPod, which is in my ears at least 90% of the day :) Doing Nail Art, looking into doing it professionally this year as I enjoy it.

I just got a promotion to Business Analyst. It's on the systems side of the company but still involved with the process areas. The pay bump was nice.

Starting my summer job for the fourth year in a row at the golf club this Saturday...

I also love to golf! What are the odds? I play guitar, piano, drums, bass, and sing. And i like Tv!

Work: Graduate Assistant of English at Northern Illinois University teaching ENGL 103/104 Rhetoric and Composition. Also professional survey taker/plasma donor

School: MA Student at said university focusing on British Renaissance Poetry and Epic Literature.

Hobbies: Drinking beer while blasting Saint Vitus real loudly. Traveling. Collecting old fantasy novels/novellas. Reading these fantasy novels. Movies/TV shows.

Figured I'd bump this up as it's been like 4 years. My hobbies haven't really changed, I still play baseball when I can and also play poker pretty seriously. I work as a portfolio manager at an investment firm now. It's an interesting job. What are you guys doing with your lives now?

Job: Just starting my M.S. in Biochemistry. Will teach/supervise a couple chemistry labs in the fall.

Hobbies: Internet forums, listening to music, and daydreaming.

The MS turned into a PhD which will hopefully be done by the end of the school year. Finished teaching a while ago, just lots of experiments and a bit of technical writing.

I've been doing less foruming and music listening lately, which is to say it's only half of my free time instead of most of it, but I still daydream a lot. Lately I've been trying to be better about writing down my thoughts and developing them into silly little stories and worldbuilding projects and tabulature and shit, though I know realistically nothing will ever come of them. I'd like to reach my 10 year old peak performance and spent most of my free time writing and doodling, but I feel like I'd need a lack of work obligations to get there.

Reactions: Matt
Figured I'd bump this up as it's been like 4 years. My hobbies haven't really changed, I still play baseball when I can and also play poker pretty seriously. I work as a portfolio manager at an investment firm now. It's an interesting job. What are you guys doing with your lives now?

Hobbies now include:

Drums (I was in a band for a short time and have a project with a friend but life keeps getting in the way of getting songs down to record)
Guns (self explanatory)
Metalwork (I took up blacksmithing and welding as hobbies...expensive but cathartic)

I don't really do much else with my spare time other than keep my house in order and take care of my dog.

What do you want to do with your PhD? Teach or something else?

Planning on going into industry, which basically means pharmaceutical R&D. Unfortunately many of the jobs are in high cost of living areas (particularly the Bay Area), but the general plan right now is to suck it up, work for one of the bigger companies for a few years, get some solid experience, and then with a fancier resume I'll try landing something less competitive away from the coasts, maybe even going the government leech route. If I could score an instructor position managing an undergrad biochem lab or something that would be awesome, but those jobs are often extremely limited (and usually filled with 40-70 year old instructors). I wouldn't mind moving somewhere podunk if it meant a relaxed, secure, decent-paying instructor position though.

I don't talk about my career much because I'm kind of a fuckup, and haven't really accomplished much between now and when I joined this forum in 2008. For a long time I've just lived with my parents way out in the woods, assisting my disabled dad and not doing a whole lot else. After he passed I began completing my gymnasium education long-distance to be eligible for university studies. I plan on enrolling into a half-year history program in the spring term of next year and then a 5-year civil engineering program come fall.

Hobbies-wise, I've been making shitty electronic music lately and I'm working on an album I hope to have out by the end of the year.

You need to be doing more maths programs! But history was my second favourite subject after maths. I kinda regret not doing a joint degree in maths and history. Instead I did maths and chemistry. It just seemed like a better combination of subjects at the time.

I didn’t enjoy chemistry all that much, apart from the stuff that verged on physics - quantum mechanics and particle theory type stuff. I hate organic chemistry with a passion! The worst fucking module I did during my degree was called “organometallic chemistry” and it was absolutely hideous. We used to have these long ass 3 hour lab sessions as well which were tedious.

I kinda regret my career path at times. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of aspects of teaching and find it rewarding. But there is too much political crap that goes with it and excessive box ticking exercises that are a waste of time. And let’s face it, teenagers can be absolute cunts. I think I enjoy it mostly because I get to do maths everyday. And I actually fucking love maths. I’m a proper nerd when it comes to that and I genuinely get excited when I’ve solved a long problem. Sometimes wish I’d persued a career in finance/actuarial science or something. I have also always had a niggling thought in the back of my head that my real career calling was becoming a doctor. I’m jealous of @dwellerINTHEdark for his career.

Last edited:
Finance isn't all that its cracked up to be either. Investment banking is brutal and other finance jobs can be very task oriented (same thing every day). My current job is at a small firm, which is good and bad. The owner's wife just asked me to clean out the company car, and that's not in my job description, but whatever.

Investment banking is brutal

Ain't that the truth.
tumblr_nhdfg4tTkd1ry3em3o1_500.gif

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG
I kinda feel bad for all the really smart dudes on this forum with hella degrees and really not enjoying what they do. :/

Work: I live in California now (since 2016) and am a manager at Tesla. Love the company, love the products, and the free coffee keeps me motivated.

Current hobbies: Been dabbling in BJJ, but want to get serious here soon once my work situation gets a bit less chaotic. I go camping, hiking, and exploring a lot with the wife and kiddo (she's 3 now). It's hard not to enjoy the weather here (it's kinda perfect). Aside from that I've been getting big into investing cuz, despite working for a pimp ass company, work kinda sucks and I'd prefer to retire early and travel around full-time in a travel trailer enjoying life.

Wanabe future hobbies: I want to learn guitar, get a bike to go mountain biking, hopefully have some money so I can buy a pimp ass car, and just trying random things.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
you pretend to be busy?

Pretty much. I am about to have a bunch of work soon because of this project I'm assigned to but my portion hasn't really started yet. I have a new boss now and I explained the situation to her. Hopefully she is more receptive about things.