Your Master Bus Limiter/Maximizer Nowadays?

I'm curious too I'm still using L2 :loco:
I remember reading a slate FGX thread bashing L2 so I feel outdated.

L2 worst masterbus limiter ever...

I use SSL Duende masterbuscomp, API 2500. When i master i use Fabfilter Pro-L on 4x oversampling. It is the best one i've tried.

you use them both in conjunction? or one or the other?

yeah Pro-L is the best I've tried. Transparent Mode 4x oversmapled

I still like Stillwell Event Horizon for whatever reason. It just sucks that it hasn't been updated for years and crashes all the time. I've recently toyed around with Limiter No. 6 and it sounds pretty cool, especially considering it's free. All that said, to call me a mastering engineer would be insulting towards real mastering engineers. I'll just do it if I have to.

I still like Stillwell Event Horizon for whatever reason. It just sucks that it hasn't been updated for years and crashes all the time. I've recently toyed around with Limiter No. 6 and it sounds pretty cool, especially considering it's free. All that said, to call me a mastering engineer would be insulting towards real mastering engineers. I'll just do it if I have to.

Have you tried Event Horizon 2? It's very stable for me.

Besides VCC/VTM, I'm using VBC in this order Red (shaving up to -3db), Grey (shaving at max 1-2db) and MU at 50% depending. Followed by FabFilter Multiband and EQ and then out to FG-X with the FabFilter Pro-L after set to -0.5db. I find the RMS readings in FGX weird sometimes, so I'll push the FGX gain until I'm getting around -10db RMS on Pro-L.

In amongst the chain is FG-Red taking maybe 2 - 3 dB.

At the end of the chain is FG-X Compressor getting max -1 dB, limiter set to give - 10 dB RMS, normally leave all the knobs at 50 %.

Ozone here and SOMETIMES FG-X, but in the last year i've used the later maybe 10 times on the 60+ songs I mastered.

VBC (still deciding how to go about this but sticking to grey/red/mu. Around 4-3 db on choruses) --> EQ (optional) --> multiband comp. --> Saturation --> Pro-L (aiming for -10 db rms or so, I wish I could go lower >_> loud is overrated, and I'm not just being bitter)

Actually just yesterday I helped with a test at a local studio about this. We used Slate FG-X, Voxengo Elephant, Limiter 6, and Ozone. We tested every algorithm as well. Our test method was to take several pro mixes, and crush them by -8db on each limiter. It isnt a real world example, but it really revealed some of the characteristics of the limiters.

For me Voxengo Elephant with the MAX algorithm won hands down. Even set at -8 on mixes that had already been crushed, it barely distorted the audio, and it brought up the percieved volume quite noticeably. Most of the others didn't even come close to Elephant on MAX, even some of Elephant's other algorithms. The FG-X set on Hard distorted like crazy, but it did add some interesting character to the low end. It sounded punchier.

After that test Voxengo Elephant is no. 1 on my list of plugins to buy.

Slate VCC, ReaComp, W1 (waves L1 clone). Sometimes swap W1 out for the Event Horizon clipper, but the W1 is a little tighter. Just downloaded Stillwell Bombardier, but I'm a little bewildered by all the options haha.