Your micing technique for Mesa OS

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
I just got a mesa oversized straight cab and I am having a bit of trouble with my micing technique. I am using an fja modded 5150ii head and a schecter hellraiser c1 with an emg 81. It sounds good in the room but not when I record it. So it must be me sucking micing placement, cause I know its not the gears fault haha. So when you mic a mesa os straight cab how do you go about it? I am currently using one sm57.

I consider myself to be not that great at micing cabs but I always pull decent results with the Mesa Oversize.
Just do a test, micing up the center of the cone on each speaker, decide which one has a character least annoying to you on playback, then go and test out different positions on that speaker. I tend to favor a slightly off axis position around the middle of the dustcap. A couple important things Ive found to be true, It will not sound like the massive sound in your head until youve stacked a couple of them up in a mix, unlike vst amp-isms real amps dont sound all that gratifying on their own or solo'd out one at a time. Also remember to apply some Hi-pass and Low-pass filters when listening back to your tests to help you judge those core mids better. It also helps to have a clear idea of what your shooting for going into it, as its easy to lose objectivity when your comparing speakers and mic positions. Good luck.

Normally I have my cans on, with the amp as low as I can get and either pink noise or a reamp going through. I try to find the brightest spot with a flashlight first, and then moving the mic over the center and rotating off axis slightly until the harsh fizz goes away. You still want that top end, so don't go too far away from the cap. Pulling the mic away from the cloth puts a little more air and openness in there, but be careful not to lose focus. All this is done quickly so I don't forget what I'm listening for. My personal cab is marked where I like a live mic and within reasonable setting for quick adjustments.

Always two mics. Focus on getting the best sound from the first mic- usually using pink noise and a little bit of switching with riffs playing. With the second mic I flip the phase and do what I can to hit all those gross fizz spikes and use better judgement to choose how loud I want it. Flip phase again and the spikes should be gone. I play with it more if it effects the tone in a bad way. Typically yields smoother/darker tones but that gives you more room for everything else and you can always use a good eq to boost the high end a tad.

Thanks so much for the tips guys. I dont have a mixer, only an apogee duet (one), so I couldnt figure out how to monitor only the reamped pink noise without feedback and stuff. But I tried some of your other tips and this is what i got (its dual tracked one sm57). Let me know what you think.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/140656441/Daisy (Mesa OS C1 mix 2.0).mp3
Edit: I just put up another mix cause there was an eq on the master fader i didnt like.

Thanks so much for the tips guys. I dont have a mixer, only an apogee duet (one), so I couldnt figure out how to monitor only the reamped pink noise without feedback and stuff. But I tried some of your other tips and this is what i got (its dual tracked one sm57). Let me know what you think.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/140656441/Daisy (Mesa OS C1 mix 2.0).mp3
Edit: I just put up another mix cause there was an eq on the master fader i didnt like.

Sounds good, but a bit off axis, in an odd way, which is kinda making it cloudy.

have you tried micing a different speaker? If you haven't do a speaker shootout to see which one you like the most.
Top Right one in mine is far better than the Top left one.

I'm usually just starting around the dustcap meets cone area and try from there to hear what it needs. But pretty small changes can make pretty drastic differences in that area.

Also I've found, that some settings don't translate as obvious from room to mic with the 5150, especially treble and presence.
For me it can end up sounding way harsher in the mic than in the room. Meaning compared to less treble and presence, not with were the mic is set up.

greyskull I agree. I will have to try and fix that.

have you tried micing a different speaker? If you haven't do a speaker shootout to see which one you like the most.
Top Right one in mine is far better than the Top left one.

I'm usually just starting around the dustcap meets cone area and try from there to hear what it needs. But pretty small changes can make pretty drastic differences in that area.

Also I've found, that some settings don't translate as obvious from room to mic with the 5150, especially treble and presence.
For me it can end up sounding way harsher in the mic than in the room. Meaning compared to less treble and presence, not with were the mic is set up.

I saw your EVH 50w / 6505+ Comparison thread and i am 100% in love with your tone of the 6505+ on there. if i got tone as nice sounding as that it would make me a happy man. do you remember where the mic was for that recording and what were your amp setting?

Do you think part of the problem could be the head. I have never used a normal 5150ii or anything just this fja modded one. but it seems like there is more fuzz than there should be and not as much bite as i would normally expect from an head like this. when i move the mic around most spots sound fizzy and thin.

edit:
sorry in advance for the rant
im starting to think its something more than just mic placement. i though i might as well go into more detail about how im recording them. Schecter hellraiser c1 special with emg 81 into my apogee duet. then reamped it out of the duet (i didnt use a re-amp box just the intstrument amp output setting).

messeing with the head setting but the pre about 4 when i boost and then i took off the tubescreamer and raised it to 6. lows about 6-8 range, mids about 2-3 range, highs 4-6 range, post volume 2.5-3.5, resonance 7-9, and presence 7-8.5.

i have tried the mic on all 4 speakers in the middle of the cone. i did about every mic position i could think of. center of dustcap to about a half inch outside the dust cap and every spot between. i also tried this from several different angles and distances from the grill cloth. i also have a charvel desolation with blackouts, and i havnt tried it out of this cab but i was having similar problems with it.

i also tried using my mesa dc5 head just to see if it was the 5150ii causing the problems but it still pretty much sounded the same. i also tried recording the guitar live instead of reamping it. i just really dont get it. no matter what i do it sounds like there is a cloth over the speaker and no bite or grit and just cloudy in general. it just doesnt sound professional. i guess i just suck at this :p

Nah it's mic placement. Try straightening it out.

i hope so dude. id much rather the problem be that i suck than to need a new head. idk it just acts differently than most other guitar setups i have recorded. i got the head used so i dont know exactly which mods were done to it. and i also havnt changed the tubes. but im hoping its just me being an idiot.

I can hear the inherant character of the amp, but deco sounds like the mic isn't placed in the best position for the cab.
Close though! Moving a 57 a cm can make an enormous difference, so just keep at it

Get a Beyer M201.
I always found a 57 to be too fizzy and harsh.
Here is M201 on Recto cab placed with pink noise.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/Ready_To_Kill_Master.mp3

Good enough for the dear leader:
kjuspeech.jpg

So Mago helped me out and gave me some feedback about my clips and some great advice via pm. it really helped a lot. i tried some new settings and a simpler mic position and this is what i got. this is a quick test i did of a couple parts of a song my band has. let me know what you guys think. i just want it to sound professional.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/140656441/Brandons song test 1.0.mp3