Your personal idols

ether

°°§°°
Jan 14, 2002
Visit site
I found it sweet that on Katatonia homepage, under "timeline" among the main events regarding our beloved band there is also listed the meeting between Anders and Coverdale.
I guess for him it was like meeting a real idol, like for many of us when we met Katatonia in the flesh.

So my question is, do you have any particular people you consider as your personal idols and what would you be willing to do to meet them?And how do you think would be your attitude towards them?

Do you see Katatonia as idols or just like normal people whose job is simply to make good music?

I think their attitute towards fans is very friendly and open and of course they don't act as rock stars, but on the other hand I always have this feeling that they cannot be just simple and normal people, 'cause what they do is so great that when you meet and speak to them you feel as they were surrounded by a special aura...and you end up to consider them as real idols even if after all they are just guys like you!

haha....I think I posted about this subject in here somewhere more than once....
The guys in Katatonia are my "idols" for sure.......
I met them on June 4, 2004 and I wasnt going to be a turd about it...but when I saw Fred I got scared and grabbed my brother and pulled him aside whispering "thats fuckin Fred from Katatonia".....jesus christ I have met some big names on the metal scene...but never had that reaction before....I was suddenly stupified but I had to say something to him....so I walked up to him and said " hey Fred" and shook his hand....he was cool and I didnt want to bother him so I just walked away.
Eventually I saw all of them and they were just hanging out....like regular guys. I know they are fairly normal people and they all seemed really cool so I hung out by the peaceville table (thats where I met mike from Century Media who I still talk to on a regular basis) and talked to Paula Hogan for awhile.....I showed some people my collection and Paula said she wouldnt let the guys leave without signing all of my stuff....I saw Anders and he recognised the Rare Old Logo shirt I was wearing (that he sent to me) and we said hi to each other.
During the show it seemed so natural to be seeing Katatonia live....I was very somber and serene during the show....not crazy and shit like some of the others in the crowd.....it seemed like it was just me and the 2 people on either side of me.....completely surreal and emotional.
After the show Daniel and Anders were hangin at the peaceville table signing and stuff so I just hung out.....did a little bullshittin with the guys....I still felt very awkward around them...I never got past the feeling that they were GODS, I dont know why....maybe because it was always a dream of mine to see them...much less talk to them. Suddenly I realized that Jonas hadnt signed my stuff and I mentioned this to Anders who ended up trying to persuade Jonas to come inside the venue....but it was closing and th ebouncers were being dicks about wanting everyone to leave......Anders told me to go outside and tell Jonas that Anders said to come inside....and eventually he did.....the bouncers by that time were being rude about the situation and Jonas told me some story about David Vincent and people being rude(not David vincent) which at the time was very funny....mostly because of the way he said it all....very quiet and reserved.
I ended up getting all my stuff signed and got some pics of me and the guys....and a backstage pass from paula.....
And as they drove away in their buss I realized what had just happened.....I had just talked with my idols....seen them play.....and I was really dissapointed that I hadnt thought of all the things I had always wanted to ask them.....it was over.... the chance was gone...but the memory remains on video of the show (courtesy of Mike)and audio of all the conversations I had with them....I recorded them all......unfortunately they might be lost in my roomates computer...I didnt have my own PC then.

I will see them again....even if they dont ever come to the U.S. again....Ill make the money and go see them if I have to!!!

I'd have to say that meeting katatonia would be awesome, especially since they've been a big influence.
I've met Opeth and was blown away at how cool and humble they are.
I'd like to meet steve wilson.
But I regret not meeting Chuck S. (R.I.P), whom I've almost met but the venue were acting like dicks to them, so they left and didnt play..

<<Do you see Katatonia as idols or just like normal people whose job is simply to make good music?>>

The latter, they are one of my favorite bands and naturally I have tremendous respect for them but I wouldn't go as far as to call them my idols.

Demonspell said:
<<Do you see Katatonia as idols or just like normal people whose job is simply to make good music?>>

The latter, they are one of my favorite bands and naturally I have tremendous respect for them but I wouldn't go as far as to call them my idols.

Idols as in great musical influences.

if I ever meet katatonia in person I wouldnt know how to feel, let alone what to do/say.
Katatonia and Isis are my main influences at the moment. They are the bar at which a gauge whatever I try to do musically everything else isnt worth comparison really,(I think at least...)

I met Fred in Alpen aan de rijn, and 2 days later in Baarlo (at progpower)
At first I was to scared to walk to Fred, but would feel very bad if I wouldn't do it. So I just did it.
I couldn't say anything, so I yelled something like:"I LOVE YOU!"

On sunday I was sitting outside and Fred, Anders and Mattias walk right in front of me.
I didn't saw it, but Fred laughed at me.
My words where everywhere, but not there so I just kept the silence and let a friend talk for me.
I have a picture where I stand between Fred, Anders and Mattias hanging above my bed now.

I really want to talk with Jonas, but I didn't saw him.
They are just people, making great music. I'm a fan of their music.
It was my best weekend ever!

Idols... I'm not sure I have an idol at all, actually.
I have favorite actors, musicians, personal rolemodels but no idols.
Maybe it would be my mother for putting up with me and my brother by herself, but that's it.

And I dunno how you came offtopic on meeting Katatonia, but I sometimes see Daniel on a pub here in town. I say hello to him sometimes, I try not to be annoying... Seems to be a nice guy. So if you read this, slap me next time if I'm stupid haha.
Apart from him I've never met any of them.

ott0, nice to hear you meet sometimes Daniel in you town :)

Actually not far away from where I live George Clooney has bought a villa and he comes there quite often, but I wouldn't care less if I met him,he he

Deliverance6, I can understand your reaction towards them the first time you saw them. for me it was exactely the same back in 2001, I could only say thank you and ask for an autograph and felt really like a turd...But even now when I 've met them more than once, I still feel a bit "embarassed" adn confused... well at least I always fear I could be annoying...considering that after the show they must be really tired and maybe the last thing they want is to talk with fans or to try to be nice to them...
ah your description of Jonas really matches with mine, I think he can say very witty and sometimes funny things in a calm and reserved way, which makes speaking with him a unique experience :)

Well to sum up things, since katatonia themselves have probably their own musical idols (well at least Anders for sure!It would be nice to know his reaction when he met Coverdale, ha ha) I think and hope they can undestand how a fan feels in front of his heroes!

opethpainter said:
no one can beat steven wilson's genius by now.
Well when we met Steve Wilson my first comment was "I thought he was taller...he's as tall (or small) as me....", but a part from that:p he gave me the impression of being a very common normal, humble man...I recognize his talent and I also remember Mike from Opeth praising him as a pure genius, but I didn't have the impression I was talking to a "genius"...Don't take me wrong, I appreciate a lot his work, but meeting Katatonia is something else:Spin: :headbang:

On a sidenote...

I read a interview in some mag a great while ago.
Kiss played sweden and the hellacopters were starters.
Backstage some guy from the hellacopters had met gene simmons and teh only thing he could do was to ask...
Can i try your dragonboots??

he had tryed them on, and gene officialy said he was weird afterwards.
that was the entire meeting.

they are my idols too! i met them personelly Daniel is very funny and Anders is very kind i didn't think that he would be kind i thought that they were "conceited rockstars".I met them in 2000 (when they came here,istanbul) after the first gig there would be "party".we met them in the party (it wass called party but my eyes could not catch a baloon :p ) and we waited them outside after the "party" you had to see their faces just like thinking they were not worth of it.and after the second gig we waited them outside again we signed the photos of the day before, and we walked with them wandered a little.Then i thought that we had bored them just like leechs.while we were leaving we heard someone's shout "heey guys" or something like that i can not remember now when i turned my face i saw Anders his hand in the hair waiting for shaking first i could not understand what to do with his hand i forgot politeness then i remembered to what to do with a "hand" :) he is really cool he always answered our stupid question and he answered it concerened.He has answered nearly all this question about hisself.I adore him.I have always wanted a brother like this but i am very unlucky he is not my brother :(

mi idol is chuck schuldiner...but i wont meet him cuz hes death :(

Blakkheim is one of the coolest guys in music, bar fucking none!

The rest of Katatonia are great people too, but Anders just has so much character!

I've said hello to Fred and Daniel
Shaked the hand of Shaun of My Dying Bride
But that wasn't very exciting.

But the little conversation of me and my girlfriend with Mortiis was pretty cool. He didn't had all that makeup thing. And no big nose and big ears. I always thougt it was a pretty misteriouslike acting person, but he ended up in a normal funny person.

Too bad that de venue was closing and the security was rude.