Your personal idols

Demonspell said:
The latter, they are one of my favorite bands and naturally I have tremendous respect for them but I wouldn't go as far as to call them my idols.
My thoughts exactly. Perhaps it's the typical Dutch down-to-earthness, but I'm just not the person to idolize people/artists. I do very much enjoy seeing and meeting my favourite bands, but it's not that I'm falling to my knees and kiss their feet or anything.. I bet the guys would feel very uncomfortable about people acting like that too.

Shit, I hate to be too honest here, but being a pothead really does have its quirks. I think as far idolotraus meetings are concerned, meeting Opeth on their Blackwater Park tour was just outstanding. I smoked a couple of joints with the two Martins(Peter and Mikael don't really smoke all that much apparently), and it was just so funny to see them get higher and higher, hehe. We actually ended up talking about Katatonia more than anything else, and Martin Lopez was pretty adept at describing the Katatonia members personalities; but this information I cannot divulge out of respect for the band.
I have also smoked with Sherwood from Skinless, Maurizio and the boys from Kataklysm, Grutle, R. Kronheim and Dirge Rep from Enslaved, Bjorn from In Flames, Neil Fallon and Tim Sult from Clutch, and Mike from Cryptopsy. I am not trying to portray myself as a weed whore, but it is very cool to converse with some of your "idols" through that sort of medium.
Meeting Katatonia at the 2000 Metalfest was definitely the best one for me though. I got to talk to Jonas and Anders for a little while we were waiting outside the Relapse stage waiting for Anathema to perform, and they were so cool and friendly, even though I was just shaking and nervous as hell in my fanboy boots.
So yeah, there are a lot more meetings, but these are probably the best of them.

i don't really have idols but some people i really admire for being wonderful musicians:

- andre olbrich (Blind Guardian) - extreme emotional and good guitar player. and amazing composer
- jonas renkse / blakkheim - both wonderful musicians. esp. last fair deal gone down is imo a musical masterpiece.
- danny cavanagh - is writing unbelievable emotional music...
- steven wilson

besides metal:

villa lobos - great composer
my guitar teacher

only to mention few..

my father
who gets up for work at 5 in the morning
he's been doing this for the last 20 years..
oh, and I already met him
:)

Dan Swanö ist my idol. Maybe idol is not the right word. I respect him very much.
Not only as a musician, but as a recording guy and a multi-instrumentalist. That's pretty much what I am and I aim for. Not that I want to be him, but you know...
And I had the luck to meet him two times. First time at his homecity Örebro and then at a concert in Holland. It's so cool that beside his abilitys he's such a nice guy.

I'm gonna have to go with the guys who said they don't have idols. I agree, I respect musicians a ton, but I don't have idols.

Who i'd like to meet?

Mikael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Blakkheim, Devin Townsend, Andreas Hedlund (Vintersorg) and Alexi Laiho (uh oh, here come the tomatoes).

Admittedly, i'd be a little nervous about meeting Akerfeldt, just because Opeth is my favorite band. But I would just treat him like a normal guy, and I really think bands appreciate that.