Your preferences regarding number of tracks on a cd

Solipsist

beyond all horizons
Jul 27, 2006
(this thread was somewhat inspired by the ‘metal listening’ thread by Zephyrus)

Couple questions--- (1) Do you tend to prefer cd's with lots of tracks (over 10, mostly meaning upwards of 12 or more tracks), or less tracks (less than 10), and how much does that preference affect your judgment towards the quality of those cd’s? (2) What do you consider as the 'ideal number of tracks' for an excellent cd to have (meaning what is the specific usual/average amount of tracks that your most favorite cd's tend to have)? (Perhaps these questions may not matter to those who are not concerned with about listening to/judging albums “as a whole”)….

I prefer albums that have less than 10, mainly because, to me, that would decrease the chance for “filler” material to appear and therefore maintain the album’s consistency and appeal. It also can make the album more focused as a whole (in my view). To me, albums with a large amount of tracks tend to need “track trimming” because of unnecessary tracks/interludes/etc. (this is one reason I am really not a fan of grindcore and what is generally considered as “prog metal” ala Dream Theater-types). For example, as much as I like albums like Obscura and Si Monumentum…, I felt a few certain tracks could have been left out of both albums. That is not to say I believe albums with 10+ tracks are inherently ‘weak’ in consistent quality (e.g. I seem to enjoy albums like Pestilence’s “Testimony of the Ancients” and Slough Feg’s “Atavism” all the way through, both cd’s have well over 10 tracks). Nor am I saying that albums with less than 10 tracks are inherently better…it just that I find that it’s a natural tendency for me to think more highly of albums consisting of less than 10 tracks (for reasons stated above).

The ‘ideal number of tracks’ I consider for a ‘favorite’ cd of mine to have is ‘8’. I noticed a lot of my favorite metal cd’s each have 8 tracks to them (e.g. “Close to a World Below”, “…And So the Night Became”, “Dol Guldur”, “Unquestionable Presence”, “Awaken the Guardian”, to name a few examples). 8 tracks is ‘just right’ to me (and of course, any number of tracks can be ‘just right’ if the album itself is good). In other cases, an album having very few tracks (like 3-5) can work out appropriately if for example, the songs consist of long drawn-out compositions which usually do not display a need for many, many tracks (e.g. albums such as hvis lyset tar oss, forgotten legends, etc).

Of course, I know other factors besides the number of tracks on an album (how you feel about the actual song lengths, song compositions, the way the songs sound, etc). play a part in how you judge that album qualitatively as well. And taking all these into context plays the largest role, but I’m just trying to see what ‘tendencies’ you notice regarding this topic…

When I read your first post, I instantly thought about Obscura and Si Monumentum, but you already talked about them. Those albums are perfect the way they are :)

Most albums I listen to have less than 10 tracks, but I rarely look at the tracks while listening to music. I just let it flow. I never have said, hey I'm not listening to this album because it has more than 10 track, nor have I ever looked down at an album because of it's tracks.

Albums with 7-9 tracks are usually my favorite, no specific reason really though, it's just an observation.

Lately I have been enjoying albums where most tracks are quite long, and it's easy to get engulfed by the atmopshere, get into the music, etc.

I generally love albums with longer songs and less tracks. Although I really like Ulver's Svidd Neger which is sixteen songs and only a half hour.

It doesn't matter to me how many tracks are on a CD. The length kinda does, though. I definitely prefer CDs that have a playing time of over half and hour. How many tracks a CD should have really depends on the length of the songs. Many of my favorite CDs have less than 10 tracks, but that is just coincidence. Some of my favorite CDs are: Mourning Beloveth - The Sullen Sulcus, Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry, The Chasm - Dealthcult for Eternity, Wombbath - Infernal Caustic Torments, Primordial - Spirit the Earth Aflame, Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus, Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun, Demigod - Slumer of Sullen Eyes, Dawn - Slaughtersun, Forgotten Tomb - Songs to Leave, etc. IIRC, all, or at least almost all, of these CDs have less than 10 songs. But, there are many great CDs with 10 or more songs: Funeral Oration - Sursum Luna, Deathspell Omega - SMRC, Fragments of Unbecoming - Sterling Black Icon, The Chasm - The Spell of Retribution, etc.

I prefer albums that have less than 10, mainly because, to me, that would decrease the chance for “filler” material to appear and therefore maintain the album’s consistency and appeal. It also can make the album more focused as a whole (in my view). To me, albums with a large amount of tracks tend to need “track trimming” because of unnecessary tracks/interludes/etc.

this is pretty much how I feel. it's all really dependent on a number of things. If the songs are rather long (10+), I'd prefer relatively few. If the songs are under six minutes, I would like no more than...8 or 10. What ends up happening is I'll put a cd on with 13 tracks er something, the first five will be fanfuckingtastic, and then the remainder of the cd will be rather mediocre compared to the first half. If the band trimmed it down to 10 tracks, and interspersed the bad tracks with the good tracks, it would probably make for a more well rounded listening experience (as opposed to going Great great good good shitty shitty crap stop). Also, those tracks that are all "meh" and at the end of the album often receive less playtime by me because of their mediocrity, and then I think less of the album. Although it is easier to know when to stop the cd haha.

6-12 is good with me, maybe 6 long tracks but if they are long they have to have a lot of time changes and go from heavy to acoustic or something and have 2 or 3 solos so they aren't a boring song that is exactly the same for 11 minutes (the long songs i listen to are mostly progressive)...12 songs work if they are all like 4 or 5 minutes with maybe a 6 minute song (and these are mostly death metal and thrash, i don't buy black metal full albums)

Anything exceeding 60 minutes of music gets tiresome, but atleast you're getting your money's worth.

Yeah, usually I can tell when the last song of an album ends, even if there are bonus tracks that continue afterwards.

4-10, 35-55 minutes. Some exceptions, but that's what I tend to prefer.

By the by, introductions/outros don't count, neither do random interludes and shit.

I hate bonus tracks unless they're an e.p. Putting shitty sounding demos,live bootlegs,rehearsals on the end off a great album is not good.

Tracks don't matter at all to me.

Playing time does though. I think 40-45 minutes is kind of the ideal length. More than that usually means the album starts to overstay its welcome a bit. Same reason I am generally not a fan of double-albums.