Your preferences regarding number of tracks on a cd

Regardless if 2 cds were 35 minutes that one with more tracks is going to seem longer to me.

I usually like songs between 2-6 minutes in length (grindcore excluded), and I like albums to be over 40 minutes, using that as a basis, I like my albums to be 10 to 1,000,000 tracks long.
Short albums seriously piss me off though. If you're going to take a year or more to write and produce some music, you better make damn sure there's lots of it.

I think more bands should record 5 songs around 6 minutes. that would be perfect. Maybe 7 with two instrumentals.

# of songs is meaningless considering there's a big difference between 8 5-minute tracks and 8 15-minute tracks obviously

so it's about overall album length. the fact that bands can stuff 70 minutes of their crap onto a CD nowadays can be viewed as good or bad. some people are going to say "more is always better... if they can fill that CD up to the brim, don't you get more for your money?" then again it's always possible for it to be filled to the brim with a good amount of filler. along with the fact that 70 minutes is obviously a lot to take in in one sitting. it could be too much. it's pushing it. inflated with a slop of songs

as far as i'm concerned though, albums should ideally be 50 minutes max. albums in the 60's/70's and such tended to be around the 35-45 min mark and it just feels perfect in terms of digestibility and cohesiveness

35-50 minutes is probably the length I prefer for an album to be. However, an album of any length will start to get tiresome if all the best material was loaded to the front. I like a lot of albums that only have 3-5 songs, if you cut interludes (Forgotten Legends, Battlefields, Morningrise, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) and then others that have upwards of 10 (Weltanschauung, SMRC, Drawing Down the Moon, Tentacles of Whorror). So number isn't all that important, although 7-8 feels right for most albums.

Most cds that have 6-8 songs are usually bands like Metallica and Dragonforce, mostly epics.

It depends on the style of music and I care more about the actual length of the cd than the number of tracks on it. I don't want 80 minutes of death metal, this is partly why I find albums like Human so good.

edit: fuck bonus tracks. If they weren't written for the cd I don't want to fucking hear them.

Int said:
edit: fuck bonus tracks. If they weren't written for the cd I don't want to fucking hear them.

If there are bonus tracks I usually only listen to the regular album's songs and treat the bonus tracks as separate music.

I dont care, as long as its over 5 or 6. I dislike short albums, even if the songs are long. I would prefer a bunch of short songs rather than very little long songs, I would get bored.

Zephyrus said:
If there are bonus tracks I usually only listen to the regular album's songs and treat the bonus tracks as separate music.

That's ok then I guess. :)

Int said:
It depends on the style of music and I care more about the actual length of the cd than the number of tracks on it. I don't want 80 minutes of death metal, this is partly why I find albums like Human so good.

This sums up my thoughts nicely.