your thoughts on Sigur Ros' "()"...

astrochimp

An AOLTime Warner Company
Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
If any of you bought it yet, I'd be interested to hear what you think...

I'm on track 4 right now, and while it's really good, it's yet to really have a great musical epiphany that the last album had in spades. However, I've heard that the first half of the album is mellow, and the second half starts to get really intense, so I have a few more tracks to go.

Anyway, what are you thoughts?

I also have to mention that the packaging is a lot better than I was expecting. The way it was described, I figured it would just be plain white everywhere. However, the paper is all this semi-translucent stuff that has light printings of grass and twigs and plants on it, making it very atmospheric, while still keeping the whole "No Album Art" thing. I just don't think I'm going to go as far as naming the tracks myself and writing my own lyrics.

I really want some song titles. Granted, on the last album I'm not even able to pronounce the freakin' things (Svefn-G-Englar??? Flugufrelsarinn???), but I could at least use some sort of general title to let the song find its niche. Just because of that, I think I'm going to have to be forced to make my own titles.

Dammit.

I haven't listened as much as I probably should to pass a judgement yet, but I think I really like it, more than their others. It seems more stripped down to me, but also it builds more and has more energy overall.

As far as I know, these were the working titles for the songs of ( ) :

1. vaka
2. fyrsta
3. samskeyti
4. njósnavélin
(break)
5. álafoss
6. e-bow
7. the death song
8. the pop song

First half of the album is better

Svefn-G-Englar ("Suebn gainlar") = Sleeping angels (if u leave out the G) and Sleepwalkers if you add the G.

Flugufrelsarinn=(can´t describe pronunciation through text :lol: ) Flyfree-er, fly liberator?

1. vaka = (to be) awake
2. fyrsta = first, the first
3. samskeyti = joints? "something that is jointed together"
4. njósnavélin= the spying machine
5. álafoss = A name of a store here in Iceland that makes comfy wool sweaters and such, basically means"Eel-waterfall"

I second that... in my opinion they are a very boring and annoying band. I bought one of their cd's based on all the excellent reviews and a few soundclips... big mistake... Yawn!

I hated them in the beginning but gradually liked them

This is band is not for people with short attention spans (Opeth fans might have short attention spans listening to this slow long music)

I haven't had a chance to hear () yet, but I will tonight. If the new one is anywhere near the album that preceded, in terms of music that is emotionally darining, I will be satisfied.

I'm going to see Sigur Ros in Boston at the Avalon on Sunday the 3rd.

- LDP

I've listened through track 5 so far and its definitely not as captivating on the first listen as Ágætis Byrjun. However, I definietly sense that this is a grower. Track 4, which is also the single, is the one that most stuck out at first, but that's probably because I had heard it repeatedly over a three week period. Track 6, the one playing right now, also seems to be very good. Time will tell that () is a strong release, albeit more subdued at times than Ágætis...

- LDP
NP - Sigur Ros - TK 6 - ( )

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
I haven't heard () yet, I'll probably buy it in December or January.

As for the translations of all the songs and lyrics, this site has them all.

so I wonder how the 'vocals but no lyrics' is?

They are pretty much alike really. He repeats a verse throughout the songs, he always starts with a word that conatins a "s" like - "Issaiaaa".

my interpretation from track 4 (Njósnavélin):

Isaiah nof ah ahnoon, Isaiah, Isaiah ahnoon, Ilsooh, Isaiah....

hhmm, one would think that Opeth-fans didn't have a short concentration span.....dissing Sigur Ros b/c of the long songs is really wicked, when you compare their length to some of Opeths.

ok, back to Sigur.....have you guys seen the "Viðar Vel Til Loftárása" video? It is really amazing, one of the best videos I've ever seen by any band.

That's an incredible video...if a bit disturbing.

Their other video for Svefn-G-Englar is quite similar aesthetically...I think it's the same director...but features a bunch of people with down syndrome dancing on this Icelandic coastline. That may sound funny or offensive, but it's actually quite heartwarming. It's also a hell of a video.

Here is a review I did of it for another forum I visit:

Sigur Rós
( )

1. Untitled
2. Untitled
3. Untitled
4. Untitled
5. Untitled
6. Untitled
7. Untitled
8. Untitled

====

So how do you follow up a critically acclaimed masterpiece of an album? It seems to be something all great artists have to go through in their careers, several of my favourite bands included. You could go all pretentious on us and release an album of a different genre and style a la Radiohead's "KID A", the follow-up to "OK Computer", perhaps you could go back to your roots like the successor to Opeth's "Blackwater Park" which is the aptly named "Deliverance" or maybe even do what so many artists do and release a pathetic excuse for a record a la almost every single follow-up of 2002.

Sigur Rós try to walk all of the above paths at the same time: they half expected bad press for this release by pre-emptively warning fans that it was the record they wanted to release, and not the album the fans wanted to hear so it was no wonder some people were half-expecting the rapid genre change route that Radiohead took. But then again, this album was conceived around the same time as 2001's "Agaetis Byrjun" so that didn't look likely. Then fans started worrying that "( )" contained all the material not good enough to get onto Agaetis Byrjun. No matter what this album produced, you can't help but feel it would have failed to match the amazing hype they managed to create with Agaetis Byrjun.

The truth is that this album tries to make up for what it lacks in musical originality and creativity with stupid pointless gimmicks like removing song names and album titles. Apparently this is all part of the great Sigur Rós message, that forms of identification and hard-to-pronounce Icelandtic titles don't really matter these days. Maybe you're wondering why I'm making such a big deal out of this fact but when an artist becomes so pretentious it puts "PLEASE REMOVE THIS STICKER" on the record label information sticker you can't help but feel a little bemused as to the extents some artists take to be "arty" and "original".

The music itself is nothing special, most of the songs roll into obscureness and it's often difficult to differentiate between one song and another. However, the few genius parts of this album are almost worth the money or download time you'll spend on it. The opening track is one such example of ( )'s greatness, an ambient moody track with a soft, lush piano melody supporting soothing vocals for one great chill-out song. However the next song is rather bland and uneventful - it's not bad but it has no memorable qualities whatsoever, a song spanning 6 minutes has to have more than a simple melody and drumbeat repeating over and over for 90% of the song. This is where the album dissapoints, most of the songs fail to grab your attention and take up the dreaded category of "background music".

Track number 3 is a stirling example, the same little piano melody is repeated for just about the entire song and for the first couple of listens it's actually a great song, but it very quickly becomes tiresome and repetitive. Unfortunately, it takes more than simple ambience and basic strings to give the same melody over and over any replay value at all - this is one instance where vocals could have helped. Track number 4 is another song which offers absolutely nothing new, but at least it strays from the repetitive nature of the other songs on the album and perhaps if my ears agreed with the vocals more I would rank this song up with the opening track and the final song.

Track 5 returns to the good old repetitiveness issue again, like every song apart from Track 4, it centres around looping the same basic foundations of ambience and drums over and over, with slightly better vocals popping up occasionally along with louder ambience. It's rivetting stuff, really. The same can be said for track 6 again, it is an instantly forgettable track which just fails to meet the grade and has the same looping problems that I've mentioned far too often already; easily the worst song on the album. Oh and the same goes for Track 7, even the vocals sound repetitive on this song...a 13 minute song which could have been made up from around 5 or so different samples lasting 10 seconds each.

Just when you start to think things couldn't get any worse, along comes the best song on the album to cheer you right up! Finally something which doesn't sound tired after 3 listens. The highlight of the song is towards the end(which by some miracle isn't exactly the same as the start) when fantastic wailing vocals ala Thom Yorke meets GYBE style drums and guitars, it's all a bit fantastic really, especially after enduring the absolutely blandness of the majority of the album. The song really is spectacular and for the negative comments about most of the songs that I've made, I really can't stress enough how good this particular song is. It's a brilliant finale to an album which if you only got to listen to it once or twice would probably be given 10/10..but unfortunately you want to listen to albums you pay for more than once and so the repetitive nature of most of the songs means you're sick of the album before it's even had a chance to properly grow on you.

Despite containing my two favourite Sigur Rós songs, it's still a disaster of an album which is predictable, unoriginal and repetitive(the amount of times this word is mentioned in this review should only emphasise how repetative most of the songs get). It's by far the worst of the three albums in the Sigur Rós discography. The first time you listen to this album you will more than likely be blown away, especially if you liked Agaetis Byrjun..but give it a few days or a week at most and you'll probably listen to one or two tracks before moving to a different album... and no amount of pretentious gimmicks will change that fact.

Rating: 3.5/10

This was my opinion after having it for 4 weeks(when it was originally leaked onto the net)..which I must stress was exactly the opposite from my original "OMG, album of the year!" opinion when I first heard it..