Your Top 2009 releases so far...

This is such an odd disc. I have no clue what to make of it. Not even quite sure if I think it's clever or silly. It's almost Black Pop music. And while it's clear that the kvlt and tr00 would condemn the new disc, I doubt the kvlt and tr00 ever listened to Amesouers, as they've never been what you'd call tr00 Black Metal.

Zod

Well given that Neige is in Peste Noire, both Alcest and Amesoeurs are very "known" at least among the tr00 kinds. I enjoy most of his work, though early Alcest isn't so good.

I have NEVER been a Mastodon fan. Just never got the appeal. I tried to get into them, and just couldn't do it. The heavy vocals always bothered me. Saying that, the new CD is fantastic. The vocal style that bothered me in the past is gone.

Edit: After posting this, I realized I basically mirrored what Zod said.

This is such an odd disc. I have no clue what to make of it. Not even quite sure if I think it's clever or silly. It's almost Black Pop music. And while it's clear that the kvlt and tr00 would condemn the new disc, I doubt the kvlt and tr00 ever listened to Amesouers, as they've never been what you'd call tr00 Black Metal.

Zod
Yeh, I can see why you would feel this way. During the first couple of listens, I wasn't too impressed. Be that as it may, subsequent listens opened this thing up for me. The guitars man, those awesome guitars. The song composition is excellent, obviously, black metal based but so much more going on within the structures. And the female vocalist, her name escapes me, is well, she makes my boys tingle. Don't let these "kvelt and trOO" infuence you. This is BM that's reaching and branching out. Stick with it. NP--Hymns To The Immortal Wind--Mono. Japanese Post/rock beauty. Another excellent disc for 2009.

I have NEVER been a Mastodon fan. Just never got the appeal. I tried to get into them, and just couldn't do it. The heavy vocals always bothered me. Saying that, the new CD is fantastic. The vocal style that bothered me in the past is gone.

Edit: After posting this, I realized I basically mirrored what Zod said.
As the new disc is a concept album, they're performing it in its entirety on their current tour. I note that because, if like me, this is the only disc you're a fan of, now is a good time to catch them if they come through town.

Zod

This is one band I will never get. I have heard their songs, seen videos, and saw them live once opening for SLAYER. It always sounds so forces to me. Same reason I could never get into Pantera.
I'm surprised their live performance didn't impress you. I saw them wipe the floor with Megadeth. Quite impressive.

Zod

I watched Lamb of God once and tried two more times before giving up and walking out.

As with almost any scene/genre, there's always a few bands that rise above the rest and do something that I feel is truly worthwhile and better than the norm, and Lamb Of God is one of those bands to me. They got (rather unfairly I feel) lumped into the Metalcore scene but I always found them to be something more akin to early 90s thrash. There's elements of hardcore in there, sure, but then again bands like Slayer and Megadeth were initially conceived by guys who really liked punk/hardcore music as well.

I don't really get the "forced" vibe at all, if anything they're one of the bands that I DON'T think are forcing it, like so many other bands where you can tell that the musicians just discovered Slaughter Of The Soul and South Of Heaven within the last three years or so. Same with Pantera, I can understand why some people don't dig 'em, and there are tunes of theirs that I don't care much for, but I think the stuff Dime and Vinnie were playing came very naturally for them. Alot of people dissed them and felt that they were "fake" because they had been more of a hair-band in the '80s. But that's bullshit. I think Pantera had much more of their own flair and stamp to put into their music than the umpteen-zillion bands back in 1990 who were just anxiously awaiting the next Testament and Exodus records to come out so they could blatantly steal more riffs from them, lol. And hell I should know because at 16 years old I was probably quite guilty of that myself!!

In any case, my point isn't to convert anyone into liking LoG, I mean if you don't like 'em then that's cool. It bums me out though that I run into so many people who don't like them and won't give them a chance and I have a feeling alot of that is prejudice due to their scene affiliation and pre-conceived opinions on them. (Not saying that's the case with you Jason, though)

(On Pantera)Alot of people dissed them and felt that they were "fake" because they had been more of a hair-band in the '80s. But that's bullshit.

Honestly, I think a lot of the negative attitude came because of Phil in the beginning, going from poofy hair guy, to tough metal guy and then trying to hide and denounce the fact the first CD ever happened, thinking people would never find out. I remember those old interviews with him, and his attitude. If you're going to do something, at least own up to it. He may now, only because they were "outed" but seriously, THAT is the true definition of a poser. Phil is the reason I could never take them seriously, and this was LONG before our personal issues. That didn't happen until after Pantera split up.

Gigantour 2? I saw Megadeth wipe the floor with LOG. :p
Really? Do you like LoG at all? If you're someone who can't stand them, it would clearly bias your take.

I saw the NJ show. The entire crowd was insane for LoG. They were flawless, both in execution and production. Megadeth looked like a bunch of old men who showed up to collect a paycheck (and I'm a much bigger Megadeth fan). Megedeth was much better opening for Heaven & Hell.

Zod

Well, I have given them a chance, and just simply do not care for Lamb of God. I will take your word for it that they stand out from run of the mill metalcore bands. For me, the one popular metalcore band that I find stands out from the pack would be Shadows Fall. I think they incorporate enough melody and infectuous leads into their core to make it more interesting. That's just me.

Megadeth live are always hit or miss.
Back in the day, they were great live.
I then saw them again in 2001 (I think) when Iced Earth opened for them. That was the epitome of going through the motions. I suppose in their defense this was when Dave Jr was already half out the band, and the rest (DeGrasso and Pitrelli) were nothing more than hired guns. Contrary to that performance, they were truly amazing with the newer lineup when they opened for Heaven and Hell. They made H&H one of the more boring performances I have seen. Luckily H&H did a better job in organizing and shortening their setlist for the Metal Masters tour last summer.

I never really thought of Lamb of God as Metalcore so much as a bunch of guys with a lot to offer, very little of which interested me. I mean you can't be into everything, right?

Honestly, I think a lot of the negative attitude came because of Phil in the beginning, going from poofy hair guy, to tough metal guy and then trying to hide and denounce the fact the first CD ever happened, thinking people would never find out. I remember those old interviews with him, and his attitude. If you're going to do something, at least own up to it. He may now, only because they were "outed" but seriously, THAT is the true definition of a poser. Phil is the reason I could never take them seriously, and this was LONG before our personal issues. That didn't happen until after Pantera split up.
Heh I'd like to make believe my first CD never happened, because looking back, it kinda sucks... but the stuff I learned in making it is invaluable so if I had the chance to do it again, I probably would. The only Pantera song I ever liked was their instrumental in the Spongebob episode "Pre-hibernation Week" or something. As for music in general, there's really not any original bands anymore, if there ever was to begin with.... the stretches of the human imagination and creativity just don't allow for innovation to the extent that hasn't been done before. It's why there are a select number of categories that label multitudes of bands. :(

Not only did people crap on Pantera because they denied their early existance (I've still yet to hear those albums)...but I know a lot of people couldn't stand them because they borrowed/ripped off/whatever their sound from Exhorder. And they became MUCH bigger than Exhorder ever were. Many feel that proper credit/respect was never given. Personally, I totally dug Exhorder (and Floodgate), and was also a huge Pantera fan.

As for Lamb of God. I enjoy a few tracks, but they're not my favorite band ever. But hey, to each their own, right?