Your Top 2009 releases so far...

Watershed? I haven't listened to it for months. It just never held my interest much. *shrugs* In fact, I don't listen to Opeth as much anymore, period. I think I was overexposed for a few years and now I'm losing interest somewhat...

Same here.
When I got into OPETH initially, I got TOO into them.
It was so new and fresh.
I never even heard a lick of Watershed.
Nothing against Opeth, but they are on my long list of 90's bands who I simply don't actively seek out new material by anymore.

I bought the Heaven & Hell cd, and I have to say that it is pretty decent. I've been listening to Obscura's "Cosmogenesis" alot, and I also picked up the new Funeral Mist. My next purchases will probably be Candlemass, Pestilence, and maybe Isis.

But yeah I was really more wondering what people's feelings were about it now as compared to when it first came out. At the time alot of people raved about it but I don't hear so many people talking about it as much lately.

When "Watershed" was released I listend to it 24/7 for a long time and I loved it. It have some obvious flaws like "Porcelain Heart", that song is such a downer, it's repetitive and uninspired. I cant belive that they put that on there and excluded "Derelict Herds", "Derelict Herds" is a way better song. I also think that Martin Lopez drumming is superior to Axenrots. I dont care much for "Coil" either.

"Hessian Peel" on the other hand... Holy shit what a fucking awsome song. "Heir Apparent" and "The Lotus Eater" are also fucking crushing songs. Åkerfeldts vocals is also just getting better and better.

Now I days I seldomly listen to Opeth at all. I think it's because like others have said I've been overexposed to Opeth. But when I listen to Opeth I put on "Watershed" or "Ghost Reveries". I still hold Opeth as one of my favorite bands if not THE favorite band.

Are Katatonia coming out with a new one in 2009? I thought I'd heard that, but haven't heard a peep in a while. There's a band whom I am very interested in hearing where they're headed next.

They have pushed back their recording sessions a few times. Last thing I heard from them is that they are still writing material. They have talked with Steven Wilson about him producing the record, I think that would be cool.

Kold--Solstafir. Post/rock, Post/metal, Post/black or progressive/doom. It really doesn't matter when the final result is this excellent. This is also a step up from their previous "Masterpiece of Bitterness" tbh. Sigur Ros, Bjork are not the only good musicians from Iceland, eh?

Kold--Solstafir. Post/rock, Post/metal, Post/black or progressive/doom. It really doesn't matter when the final result is this excellent. This is also a step up from their previous "Masterpiece of Bitterness" tbh. Sigur Ros, Bjork are not the only good musicians from Iceland, eh?

I just got into this band recently. I agree Kold is hard to really classify, but it's awesome regardless. They sort of remind me of newer Primordial in a way, but with Neurosis style screamed vocals, and almost Sigur Ros type clean vocals. Great stuff!

my taste will change every few weeks, though there are bands that always stay on there. Dire Straits, Opeth, Iron & Wine, Bon Iver, The Mars Volta,Enslaved, King Crimson and Emperor are always occasionally listened too

I'm the same way as this. I never know what I'll be listening to week by week. Bands that usually find their way into my rotation frequently are Grand Magus, Manilla Road, Symphony X, Opeth, Agalloch, Novembers Doom, Novembre, Emperor, Death, Kiuas, Nevermore + ??...... but that list changes frequently as well...lol

Finally downloaded (legally) the new Heaven and Hell.
Dio and Iommi together can simply do no wrong!

This is my #1 thus far for 2009.

Candlemass comes out this week I think, so that could possibly change!

Yeah I definitely prefer Ghost Reveries over Watershed.

As for Still Life, it's still one of my LEAST liked Opeth cds. I know the whole metal world lets out a collective gasp in disgust every time I say this, LOL, but that cd just holds little interest for me. I've discussed this at length here on the forum before so I won't ramble on about it, but basically I just don't think the riffs, hooks, and overall songwriting is as memorable as say Blackwater Park, Deliverance, or MAYH. I've really tried to appeciate Still Life more after so many debates on the matter with folks, but it just doesn't click with me.

As for Still Life, it's still one of my LEAST liked Opeth cds. I know the whole metal world lets out a collective gasp in disgust every time I say this, LOL, but that cd just holds little interest for me. I've discussed this at length here on the forum before so I won't ramble on about it, but basically I just don't think the riffs, hooks, and overall songwriting is as memorable as say Blackwater Park, Deliverance, or MAYH. I've really tried to appeciate Still Life more after so many debates on the matter with folks, but it just doesn't click with me.
Interesting. It was my first Opeth disc. And probably one of the first few bands I ever heard use that harsh style of vocals. It's my favorite, with BWP and MAYH a close second.

Zod