Your Top 2009 releases so far...

Oh yeah dude, I haven't seen it yet but if he RUNS!!!!!! Then it should be good. I get so pissed off by those horror movies where the guy walks like he's on the way to the dentist. In other words, slow.

So far, The June Frost--Mournful Congregation. With, The Dawning of Mournful Hyms, The Monad of Creation and June Frost this band is easily my favorite. One thing I admire about MC is their complete uncommerciality. Absolute gorgeous guitar work and they are overtly melodic for funeral/extreme/doom.

Hey Paul, what's on Pure Air? Is that new stuff or live stuff? I was under the impression it was all live stuff from various appearances. Either way I still need to buy it but I'm curious.

Hey Paul, what's on Pure Air? Is that new stuff or live stuff? I was under the impression it was all live stuff from various appearances. Either way I still need to buy it but I'm curious.

It's a new CD, all acoustic, with about half brand new songs, one cover, and the rest are different versions of songs from "Air" with guest back up vocalists on each song, but it's not live. All studio.

The remake is EASILY the best one ever made. It's fantastic in every way. I loved the new imagining, and the realism they added to it all. AND he runs... Like freight train. I've seen it twice already.

I HATED that friggin movie. Everything was too predictable. Nobody died in inventive ways. The only thing good about the movie was some bosoms. eh

I haven't liked a single 2009 release so far but it's a promising year. The Mono album does nothing for me, same old post-rock clichés. Im looking forward to Agalloch (I hope it will be released this year), Katatonia (hopefully), Dream Theater, Abigail's Ghost, Porcupine Tree, My Dying Bride and Anathema. I probably forgot some band from Chicago... Err... Hmm... No...

Stuff I'm looking forward to this year:
Dream Theater, Borknagar, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Brutal Truth, and of course Novembers Doom.

I've also heard tracks from the Wino and Satyricon albums. Can't wait to get those either. The Wino I knew would be impressive...the Satyricon? Never really been a fan, but what I heard off the new album I did enjoy. So what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

The new Cannibal Corpse is pretty bad ass... I mean Cannibal Corpse, you can't go wrong.. The Fisher dude did a scream at the end of "Scalding Hail" that scared the crap out of me.

The new Cannibal Corpse is pretty bad ass... I mean Cannibal Corpse, you can't go wrong.. The Fisher dude did a scream at the end of "Scalding Hail" that scared the crap out of me.

You know, I have never been a fan of Cannibal Corpse. Not the original line up, and not now. Just not my thing. When ever I would listen to grinding death metal, I would put on the first couple Suffocation CD's, and that was really it for me.

I assume the new CC is more of the same?

You know, I have never been a fan of Cannibal Corpse. Not the original line up, and not now. Just not my thing. When ever I would listen to grinding death metal, I would put on the first couple Suffocation CD's, and that was really it for me.

I assume the new CC is more of the same?

I haven't heard it myself but in a review in a magazine here in Sweden they said that it was more technical and melodic and they gave it 8/10. But I've never liked them either so I dont know if I will bother.

I got into CC with Wretched Spawn and it was produced with more of a live sound or something like that, not a lot of fancy effects on the vocals or anything like that, so each new CD that is actually produced like a studio album, I think, is pretty hawt. There was a certain charm or technicality with Wretched Spawn that they haven't done again though. Frantic Disembowlment was awesome. The new CD probably is more of the same but in death metal, how different can you really be? :p

.... but in death metal, how different can you really be? :p

Well, that's something I've been striving for since day one lol

But then you branch out and it's not considered death metal anymore, they gotta call it something else. So, I don't fuckin' know, haha.

Cannibal Corpse is a band who definitely deliver for their core fans. You rarely have much to worry about when buying a new CC album, you kinda know what you're going to get and what's gonna happen. I guess they're like the Motorhead of brutal death metal, haha.

I like some CC stuff, I prefer them nowadays moreso than their early stuff. I think the albums that Neil (Kernon) did with them was pretty good. I guess I lean more towards the Morbid Angel, Vader and Immolation stuff than CC, though.