Your Top 2009 releases so far...

From the 4 or 5 songs I listened to on youtube, the album sounded waaaay more interesting and diverse than their other goth rock material. I still need to buy it but it could be their best since BMD.

Haven't heard Swallow the sun's newest album but here is my top 12

1. Soulfallen - Grave new world.
2. Draugnim - Northwind's Ire.
3. Wine From Tears - Through the eyes of the mad.
4. The Morningside - Moving crosscurrent of time.
5. Paradise Lost - Faith devides us, death unites us
6. Katatonia - Night is the new day.
7. Scar Symmetry - Dark matter dimmensions.
8. Novembers Doom - Into nights requim....
9. Dark the suns - All ends in silence.
10. Amorphis - Skyforger.
11. Insomnium - Across the dark.
12. Agathodaimon - Phoenix.

Don't get me wrong, it's still undoubtedly Katatonia and it's good. But after listening to it several times, there's just far less stand out tracks and moments for me so far than on the last two records. I guess I'll take their "Goth Rock" (????) stuff over this. But honestly, it's not like they made any major change, I just don't think the songwriting and production is quite as strong as it was on the last disc. Perhaps this opinion will change with time, I hope so.

Haven't heard Swallow the sun's newest album

New Swallow the sun is a decent solid album. I was kind of expecting a little more. I'm mean it's a strong album, but to me it's still nowhere as good as their first two records.

I didn't even know that new Swallow the Sun came out. I really enjoyed Plague of Butterflies though. Anyways, what Larry said pretty much sums up my opinion on the new Katatonia, but maybe it'll sink in and click or something.

Well I wasn't utterly blown away but it wouldn't take an absolute masterpiece to do well this year anyway..

So far, 2009... In no order, as my favorite changes with my mood.
A few CD's I was eager for this year, and expected to be in my top list, failed to impress me. This has been a great year for music in general.

Agreed, and I had 2 CD's that I eagerly waited for, and was VERY disappointed..but overall, some great stuff:

Epica, “Design Your Universe”
Novembers Doom “Into Night’s Requiem Infernal”
Alice in Chains “Black gives way to Blue”
Gravedigger “Ballads of a Hangman”
Diablo Swing Orchestra “Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious”
Sleepthief “Labyrinthine Heart”
Calathea “Hotel Lonliness”
Mastadon “Crack the Skye”
My Dying Bride “For Lies I Sire”
Megadeth “Endgame”
Stream of Passion “The Flame Within”
Agathodaimon “Phoenix”
Whirlwind Storm “Inside the Dark Void”
Son of Seasons “Gods of Vermin”
Adagio “Archangels in Black”
Crystal Viper “Metal Nation”
Dark the Suns “All Ends in Silence”

:headbang:

So of course Novembers Doom would top my list for this year. (No, I'm not kissing ass. They end up at number 1 on my list every year they release something)....and I'm quite certain Alice in Chains, Shrinebuilder, Dream Theater and Immortal will end up there too. I haven't bought a hell of a lot of music this year for whatever reason. Gonna have to correct that soon.

Another one I forgot to mention is Impelliterri's "Wicked Maiden", which is classic metal like Dio or Rainbow, but on steroids, lol. Very over the top with the shredding and the vocal harmonies, but for me that's half the attraction. Got the new Slayer yesterday too; they're one of those bands I like but I'm not a devoted fan if that makes sense. Really enjoyed "Worle Painted Blood", the band is very tight and the riffs and vocals (and of course the drumming, that goes without saying with Dave Lombardo on the kit!) are excellent.

I see a lot AiC on peoples listes. Is that actually that good? The song on the radio (Check my Brain I think) is, IMO, not too good. BTW, I'm not sure I bought a cd yet this year. Maybe and Explosions in the Sky cd but that wasn't released this year. I think the only thing from this year was the Maudlin of the Well album, which was downloaded. I think I need to create a list and do some shopping.

I like the new AiC quite a bit. I was actually surprised at my positive reaction to it. There's not really any particular songs that stand out, but I think it's a good album that stays pretty true to their original sound, and the new vocalist does a really good job.

With that said, I doubt it makes my Top 10...maybe Top 20...

I think the new AiC has a fantastic flow coupled with some pretty damn fine songs. I got the new Katatonia today and wasn't initially impressed. I'll play it more over the new few days and see what happens. As it is, I need to spend some more time with the new Nile and Immortal to figure out where they land. Seems like the last few months have been pretty busy.