4. Devin Townsend Project - Ki 7/10
5. Isis - Wavering Radiant 7/10

guess ill throw my top five in hear to:

1. Mastodon- crack the skye 10/10
2. Cattle Decapitation- the harvest floor 10/10
3. Novembers Doom- Into nights requium infernal 9.7/10
4. Behemoth- Evangelian 9/10
5. three way tie between Cannibal Copse, Megadeth and Alice in Chains

This year hasn't come close to any 10/10s for me, Blut Aus Nord is somewhere around 8.5-9 and it's winning..

My favorite by far is Argus - s/t. 12/10

There have been a ton of killer albums this year.

You are killing me with your ARGUS fellatiation!

I agree, this has been a great year for metal.

The most recent new release that has been kicking my arse is the new Gates of Slumber. Took a bit to get into, but that's ok.

Every year as loads of good releases, so I don't call years "great" based on quantity as much as the presence of 10/10s and mind-blowing albums and such. This year indeed had a ton of great metal but honestly I'd take The Maniacal Vale and Graves of the Archangels from last year alone over everything released this year.

guess ill throw my top five in hear to:

1. Mastodon- crack the skye 10/10
2. Cattle Decapitation- the harvest floor 10/10
3. Novembers Doom- Into nights requium infernal 9.7/10
4. Behemoth- Evangelian 9/10
5. three way tie between Cannibal Copse, Megadeth and Alice in Chains

Thanks for the mention. Doesn't seem like INRI is getting much love around these parts, hmmm....:err:

Honestly it would be a top album for the year for me but for some reason Novembers Doom albums hit me a little different than the majority of metal. I typically pick out a few tracks I absolutely love but the album as a whole gets neglected sometimes. After the obvious everything-off-Fas, the first 4 tracks off Novella, for instance, are probably some of my favorite songs to come out of that entire year's catalog of releases...but I can't even remember the last time I listened to the last 4 tracks. Likewise, I can confidently say the title track or the ballad are ranking high amongst this year's stuff, but I can't ignore the fact that BAN, Mono, Teitanblood, Ulcerate, Katharsis, or Mournful Congregation get a little more love throughout.

Edit: The plus side to this is that ND makes a kickass best-of playlist

P.S. Sorry but I still think the growls over the clean sections in the 2nd track is just downright awkward :)

Hmm don't have much since been mainly listening to older stuff with a touch of the new stuff. I'm more of the type of guy to listen to my favorite bands over and over and over lol. Haven't checked out much of the new stuff, but for this year my favs are.

1. Novembers Doom - INRI
2. AHAB - Call of the Wretched Sea
3. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
4. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
5. Lamb of God - Wrath (say what you want, a lot of fuckheads may be fans which actually turned me off to them for years but these guys can lay down some groove fuckin metal)

New Katatonia will probably be up there when it's released also.

Soon to be #1 for 09, Grave Demise debut album!! :D

In no particular order, mine would be...

Voivod - Infini
Novembers Doom - INRI
Shrinebuilder - s/t
Grave Digger - Ballads of a Hangman (superb German traditional heavy metal band)
Kiss - Sonic Boom
Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
Chickenfoot - s/t
Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

I also got into a couple of older albums I hadn't heard before - the 1st Ahab, and the Supershine album, which is a one-off project from Trouble's Eric Petersen and Dug Pinnick from Kings X (with Oly Olsson from Trouble and Jerry Gaskill from King's X taking turns on the kit), and is well worth getting if you like either band; it's kind of "doom that grooves"!

Forgot to mention "Play My Game" by Tim "Ripper" Owens - nice blend of classic and more modern metal sounds with an all-star cast, including Dave Ellefson, Bob & Bruce Kullick (Bob produced it), Simon Wright, Rudy Sarzo, Billy Sheehan, Michael Wilton, Chris Caffrey and more!