Your Top 2009 releases so far...

I'm Loving the new Echtra EP, A War for Wonder.
2 tracks, 23 minutes a piece. Part 1 and Part 2.
I really like this, It is essentially instrumental, and definately a cd you can put on repeat and just get lost in.

Forsaken--After The Fall. I like this better than DMD-Candlemass. Crushing, heavy traditional Doom. The guitarist Sean Vukovic is incredible. The vocalist ain't no slouch either. Phenomenal album.

Blut Aus Nord, Mournful Congregation, Isis, Katharsis, Pelican, Mono, and Maudlin of the Well are winning right now out of the 25 or so 2009 albums I have.

Almost half way through '09 - here is my updated list:

1. Blut Aus Nord - MV II (just absolutely fucking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!)
2. Fen - The Malediction Fields
3. Fractal Gates - Altered States of Consciousness
4. Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia
5. Isole - Silent Ruins
6. Cobalt - Gin
7. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
8. maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
9. Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constallation of the Black Widow
10. Isis - Wavering Radiant

disappointments: Wolves in the Throne Room, Samael, Colosseum, MDB

...still trying to figure out what to think of Amesoeurs......and waiting VERY anxiously for the new Drudkh to arrive :headbang:

I feel pretty certain Mournful Congregation will be on this list as well before it's all said and done - I just have to buy the fuckin' thing :loco:

^ At first I was really excited listening to Gwynbleidd because it felt like it could potentially develop into a good Opethish sound, as the clean parts were well done and interesting and the vocals were pretty good, but now I'm sorta realizing most of the metal parts sound the same. Still, interested to hear more I guess, but they're probably not gonna make the top 10.

^^ Idk I haven't bought it yet, I just downloaded it after I heard them open for Isis and Embedding the Moss just blew me away. Worth buying a CD though, I don't have a vinyl player.

Almost half way through '09 - here is my updated list:

1. Blut Aus Nord - MV II (just absolutely fucking FANTASTIC!!!!!!!)
2. Fen - The Malediction Fields
3. Fractal Gates - Altered States of Consciousness
4. Gwynbleidd - Nostalgia
5. Isole - Silent Ruins
6. Cobalt - Gin
7. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
8. maudlin of the Well - Part the Second
9. Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constallation of the Black Widow
10. Isis - Wavering Radiant

disappointments: Wolves in the Throne Room, Samael, Colosseum, MDB

...still trying to figure out what to think of Amesoeurs......and waiting VERY anxiously for the new Drudkh to arrive :headbang:

I feel pretty certain Mournful Congregation will be on this list as well before it's all said and done - I just have to buy the fuckin' thing :loco:

Good choices.

The thing with Amesoeurs is it definitely didn't live up to the hype that surrounded it. It's still a very solid release and what not, but didn't quite meet a lot of people's expectations. A lot of people are praising it and a lot of people are bashing it, but I think it is what it is, just a pretty solid album. I think it was just the hype, some are saying it's fantastic because they want that hype to be justified and others are completely trashing it because it didn't meet it. It's somewhere in between I think.

^ Idk I haven't bought it yet, I just downloaded it after I heard them open for Isis and Embedding the Moss just blew me away. Worth buying a CD though, I don't have a vinyl player.

I'm acually a really big Pelican fan, so if you're just getting into them, check out their album "The fire in our throats will beckon the thaw" obviously its instrumental, but its one of my most listened to albums of all time

My 2009 list, at this point, is looking something like:

01. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Children Of The Dark Waters
02. Amorphis - Skyforger
03. Eluveitie - Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion
04. Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
05. Celesty - Vendetta
06. Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
07. Stratovarius - Polaris
08. Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight
09. Glittertind - Landkjenning
10. Tyr - By The Light Of The Northern Star
11. HammerFall - No Sacrifice, No Victory

It's been an awesome year so far, to say the least!

My 2009 list, at this point, is looking something like:

01. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Children Of The Dark Waters
02. Amorphis - Skyforger
03. Eluveitie - Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion
04. Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
05. Celesty - Vendetta
06. Kreator - Hordes Of Chaos
07. Stratovarius - Polaris
08. Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight
09. Glittertind - Landkjenning
10. Tyr - By The Light Of The Northern Star
11. HammerFall - No Sacrifice, No Victory

It's been an awesome year so far, to say the least!

I thought the new EToS was OK, but they have done better.

I thought the new EToS was OK, but they have done better.

Eternal Tears Of Sorrow definitely has progressed in their sound, when comparing to albums like Chaotic Beauty and A Virgin And A Whore, however, I absolutely love the band to death so, pretty much anything they release is immortal in my eyes! ... how I love the cold, Finnish sound! :) Would you agree that it is their darkest record yet?

Eternal Tears Of Sorrow definitely has progressed in their sound, when comparing to albums like Chaotic Beauty and A Virgin And A Whore, however, I absolutely love the band to death so, pretty much anything they release is immortal in my eyes! ... how I love the cold, Finnish sound! :) Would you agree that it is their darkest record yet?

Yea, I can see that. The themes in CotDW are a bit more "sinister", you might say. I just have an affinity for "Before the Bleeding Sun", although I admit I probably haven't given CotDW enough spins yet. Perhaps it will be a grower :)

Yea, I can see that. The themes in CotDW are a bit more "sinister", you might say. I just have an affinity for "Before the Bleeding Sun", although I admit I probably haven't given CotDW enough spins yet. Perhaps it will be a grower :)

Aye, it is a grower! - admittedly, the first couple listens I took, while I thoroughly enjoyed it instantly, it did not hit me the way it does now, some ten or fifteen listens later ... give it time, I am sure it shall unfurl before you in glory, especially if you like Before The Bleeding Sun a lot! :)

Has anyone heard the Ex Deo album Romulus? - I am COMPLETELY destroyed and taken by this album, wow! I am, admittedly, not a fan of Kataklysm, however, I was eager to hear Romulus album anyway, due to the historical theme and, without a doubt, the album has exceeded all of my expectations ten-fold! ... it's as if Virgin Steele or Manowar were playing death metal, I fucking love it! :D