Your Top 2009 releases so far...

The new CANDLEMASS is not kicking me in the ass as much as I hoped it would.
Don't know why. Can't explain it.
Maybe it will just take a few more spins to sink in.

That last Candlemass album didn't really "kick me in the ass" either, Jason. I'll always love the band but the newer material doesn't grab me as much. But I'll give the new one more time to settle in.

I was in the vast minority of people who really liked King of the Grey Islands. I know the songs were written with Messiah in mind to sing, but I think Lowe did a DAMN fine job with them (Considering he recorded alone without input from the band in the studio)

I thought the S/T reunion album (from 2005, I think it was) was AMAZING. From beginning to end.

I have had very high hopes for the future of Candlemass.

The album is good, don't get me wrong. I guess I was hoping for more. I hope my opinion changes in a month or so.

1)Gin--Cobalt 2) Kold--Solstafir 3)Crack The Skye--Mastodon 4)Hymn To The Immortal Wind--Mono. I haven't heard the new Asphyx yet, that could change things, eh!! The Cobalt just fuckin' slays!!!

Crack the Skye is still my number one so far too. I can't stop listening to it, I walk away for a couple of days and then find the songs going through my head so much that I wanna hear it again.

I loved the s/t Candlemass from a few years back. "Black Dwarf" was actually a big inspiration for me to write "Rain", in fact. Obviously they sound quite different but I just wanted something with that straightforward driving down-picked riffing that was short and to the point like that tune.

Crack the Skye is still my number one so far too. I can't stop listening to it, I walk away for a couple of days and then find the songs going through my head so much that I wanna hear it again.

I know what you mean, I memorized the lyrics to oblivion the day I got the album:headbang:

Memoria Vetusta II/Dialogue With The Stars--Blut Aus Nord. To me, amazing how melodic and beautiful this disc is. The guitars are molesting my mind. Superb tone. The composition is extraordinary. Vindisval laid it down on this. Fuckin' Bravo man.

one thing that suprised me was how good the prieview song of the new suicide silence was. Before they were just another death core band who I kinda liked cus they put on a good live show. but they seem to have matured a lot. Actualy useing some complexity and melody in there music.