Your Top 2009 releases so far...

Thanks for the Ulcerate link, Coy, I need to get around to listening to them.

Anyways I really enjoy the Nadja cover album, the booklet artwork is really cool. The Slayer and MBV covers are fantastic.

I agree about Black Cascade - seems like they may be stagnating a little bit, but they still kick ass. On the other hand, I think the new BAN is absolutely amazing! I've had it on heavy rotation ever since I bought it.

Yeah I still like WITTR and Black Cascade has some moments, it's just overall I wasn't too into it. Solid release, just not worthy of best of 2009.

As far as BAN, I admit I only gave the album one listen. Perhaps with a few more listens I may enjoy it. We'll see. I still don't think it will hold up to their earlier work though.

Thanks for the Ulcerate link, Coy, I need to get around to listening to them.

Anyways I really enjoy the Nadja cover album, the booklet artwork is really cool. The Slayer and MBV covers are fantastic.

Aye no problem. I recommend it! The drumming is fantastic and they've got that chaotic DsO thing going, in some respects I would call them a black metal band, even though I don't think they label themselves as such. They did list DsO and BAN as influences though. I think the former is quite apparent.

Not a huge Nadja fan, but a cover of My Bloody Valentine? That sounds interesting.

Aye no problem. I recommend it! The drumming is fantastic and they've got that chaotic DsO thing going, in some respects I would call them a black metal band, even though I don't think they label themselves as such. They did list DsO and BAN as influences though. I think the former is quite apparent.

Not a huge Nadja fan, but a cover of My Bloody Valentine? That sounds interesting.

I really like what I hear on their myspace as well. Is the new album better or the one before that? And btw have you listened to Dead Congregation at all? They're also a really great new-ish death metal band that I came upon@ Reckless Records, if you haven't heard them then check them out at: http://www.myspace.com/deadcongregation

And yeah, its a very awesome cover of Only Shallow (http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/12526-only-shallow-my-bloody-valentine-cover/).

I did not know that WitTR's Malevolent Grain was released in 09' I thought it was late 08'
anyway I just saw them last night, and picked up a copy of that EP, and I really enjoy it.
I agree that Black Cascade isn't as good as Diadem, but I still think its wonderful... and every song they played last night was amazing. especially those tracks off Cascasde and Diadem

Ghost Reveries > Deliverance > Blackwater Park > Damnation > Orchid > MAYH > Still Life > Morningrise > Watershed for me right now so yea, I'm disgusted as well.

this has been just an OK year for great disc....there have been some nice surprises though....

-CAULDRON - "Chained to the Nite" ex-Goat Horns guys new band...great traditional metal. Full of great catchy hooks. Ignore the lame cover and pick this up. Definetly if you like Wolf, Enforcer, NWOBHM and stuff in that sound...highly recommended.

LIONS SHARE - "Dark Hours"...I am a huge fan of Patrik Johansson. I will pretty much buy anything he sings on. That is why I picked this up. Lions Share isnt the type of band I would get into but with thier sound change now and with one of my favorite singers singing on their new stuff....how could I pass it up. Straight up power metal. Not the Rhapsody types but more just straight forward metal. Lots of great catchy chorus's and stuff.

CRYSTAL VIPER - "Metal Nation" amazing traditional metal band with female vocals that are not operatic nor Arch Enemy style either. A solid disc from start to finish.

WOLF - "Ravenous" another disc that is solid from start to finish. Why is this band so over looked?

FAIRYLAND - "Score to a New Beginning" - one of the better symphonic power metal bands out there. This new one is top notch. Really catchy without being chessey. Not a band I would tell just anyone to get. If you like power metal....it is a must buy. If not...stay far away.

I honestly do not think there is a bad opeth relese. Watershed is probley my least favorite, but it still gets rotation in my playlist.

Part The Second--MOtw. Brilliant album. For those who might not be aware, the band has made this album available for DL at-http//www.maudlinofthewell.net/downloads.html Not a metal album. To me I hear, jazz/prog/classical/avant-garde/pop ? nevertheless, this is just flat-out beautiful.

I really like what I hear on their myspace as well. Is the new album better or the one before that? And btw have you listened to Dead Congregation at all? They're also a really great new-ish death metal band that I came upon@ Reckless Records, if you haven't heard them then check them out at: http://www.myspace.com/deadcongregation

And yeah, its a very awesome cover of Only Shallow (http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/12526-only-shallow-my-bloody-valentine-cover/).

I've only heard the new one, so I couldn't comment on which is better. I haven't heard Dead Congregation, but I'll look into it.

They just said they're disgusted, not calling you names or anything. So you chill out, Coy LOL

Still Life is fucking boring. All prog and no hook. How about them fuckin' apples, eh? :Smokedev:

I wouldn't have said anything, but there's a lot more stuff like that going on over on the Opeth board from Lateralus.

As far as your comments on Still Life: I'M DISGUSTED!!!!!! :loco:

lol I'm not really that serious about any of this. I still enjoy Still Life in fact and I used to dislike both Deliverance and Ghost Reveries.