You're Probably Gonna Hate Me For This

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
I've noticed on more than one occasion on certain songs that Jonas' vocals remind me of the guy from Counting Crows. What prompted me to bring this up was having just listened to "O How I Enjoy The Light". I just find it interesting how sometimes their vocals sound similar.

Eversion said:
Some guy on Amazon.com said "In Death A Song" reminded him of Weezer.

But that's not a bad thing, Weezer used to be awesome.

Ha ha! cant say i agree with that. weezer sang that buddy holly song right??

I wouldn't compare Jonas' vocals to anyone else's, to be honest. Similar to some, I guess. That's just like comparing Peter Tätgren to Mikael Åkerfeldt, trying to equate an immense similarity between others --- one that isn't there.

Okay, so Jonas' vocals are similar to some, but I'm just trying to be gay and say that they are wholly unique.

I'm hyper and uncaring at the moment. Haha. Anyway... >__>;;

No but really, he definitely sounds like a darker "The Cure" singer which is not a bad thing, Jonas is definitely one of my favorite singers.

MountainDweller said:
That one reminds me more of Sisters of Mercy or Bauhaus.

yeah you can hear sisters of mercy type vocals on that song alright.

anyone who says he sounds like Robert Smith, ARE YOU DEAF!!?

Well, I played some Katatonia for a friend of mine (the song 'Help Me Disappear', actually) and the first thing he said was how much he thought Jonas and Robert Smith sound alike. And I can hear what he means -- not really in similarity between their voices, but delivery. Jonas is very good at that desparate, pleading sound when he sings, and Robert Smith does that sometimes, too. '100 Years' comes to mind, although that's not really 'desparate' or 'pleading', but the singing style does remind me of Jonas.

EmptyInside said:
Oh How I Enjoy The Light reminds me somewhat of The Cure...

When in the past I have been asked what Katatonia are like, I have used Robert Smith as part of the comparison.

I guess it depends who you are talking to and what their background and understanding is. It was one of my old goth mates that I was talking to from memory.

I don't think any vocal is unique, although I did until recently. I have always been a huge fan of Queen, I heard Valensia recently... OMFG...

AlexGuinness said:
When in the past I have been asked what Katatonia are like, I have used Robert Smith as part of the comparison.

I guess it depends who you are talking to and what their background and understanding is. It was one of my old goth mates that I was talking to from memory.

I don't think any vocal is unique, although I did until recently. I have always been a huge fan of Queen, I heard Valensia recently... OMFG...

I think the cure and goth is a dodgy topic. Take away the make up and clothes and their aint much "goth" left