YT: Demoing the Dual Rec's Orange channel, plus V30's vs CL80 shootout

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
(putting it in the right section this time...)

This is the first time I've paid any real attention to the CL80 speaker in that cab, and I think I'll do it more often, I quite dig it! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
On it's own, I thought the v30 didn't sound very good, but was really impressed by how good the combined tone sounded.

Have you tried other speaker combos in this cab?

I think both speakers (in this cab, anyway) sound pretty awful on their own :lol:
The CL80 is just low-mid mud, and the V30 is just airy harshness with no substance. But together they sound really good, especially on leads!

And no, I've not tried different speakers in this cab. It's my bandmate's so it's not really mine to fuck with, he just lets me use as part of my studio backline when we're not doing band stuff.

Both definitely sounds better than either on their own but I'd be really surprised if you couldn't do better with the base tones. The end result was cool but overall kind of thin/undergained/not very 'exciting'.

A good workman never blames his tools etc etc, but I will say that this cab is pretty damn tiny, and I think the dimensions simply aren't conducive to getting big heavy tones. I used it in this instance because I wanted more of a focused Petrucci vibe since the music provided was of that ilk, but it's certainly not my go-to of the two Zillas for heavy stuff.