YT: Kemper Profiling Amp - Rectifier

Dunno, all this "i want his tone, his tone and his tone!!" . I already didnt like all that preset sharing with the axefx. Isnt it fun to find your own tone? And actually buying tons of stuff till u find it? IMO thats part of the game.... if i remember how much fun i had with my equipment, searching for it....trying to get it...sell it again...get new stuff :D.

Being able to profile your own stuff is ace, but well...i dont want someones tone.

Well if you have access to all the great amps in the world like diezel's, soldano's, rectumfriers, splawn, mesa's, ENGL's, marshall's, peavey's, then more power to you and then your point is somewhat valid.

However, this is amp profiling we are talking about.. not just presets from a digital device based on a real amp.

Those are presets, with the kemper it is profiles.. quite a difference and a gift from god for those without all above mentioned amps.. just saying. :D

Dunno, all this "i want his tone, his tone and his tone!!" . I already didnt like all that preset sharing with the axefx. Isnt it fun to find your own tone? And actually buying tons of stuff till u find it? IMO thats part of the game.... if i remember how much fun i had with my equipment, searching for it....trying to get it...sell it again...get new stuff :D.

Being able to profile your own stuff is ace, but well...i dont want someones tone.

People try others presets out of curiosity, and need to tweak them after anyway to fit their own "tone" (fingers, pick, guitar, stringer, pups...).
Not much different than buying the same amp than "famous guy X" and trying his amp settings.

Not much to worry about here IMO.

I'm loving having all these amp "profiles" at my finger tips.
And I also love tweaking the shit out of them. Most fun (audio fun) I have had in years.

Eventually got my FCB1010 hooked up and working... damn I hate that board :)

How does this do live with a cab? Has anyone run this through a power amp/cab live? I am interested if this can do both well and not just in the studio. Can someone give me some feedback on this thanks!

Wait... If you did not have an Earforce Two, would you really wait a sec to beg Lasse for a profile of it? I wouldn't. Or anyone else not having friends with highclass and boutique amps. The Kemper provides the possiblity to have great and not affordable amps in just one box. I thought thats what its all about, rite?

No, i wouldnt... cuz actually owning this thing and even watching on it makes me happy ( besides the fact the kemper doesnt model its tonestack ).

The Kemper provides the possiblity to have great and not affordable amps in just one box. I thought thats what its all about, rite?

Yes, if u need it. I was on the waiting list for an AxeFX II, but canceled my order cuz i realized i dont need all that stuff and i played through an earforce a while ago and it was the best amp i´ve ever played through ( quite a lot.....). I´d be glad to have a Kemper to profile my setup so i can play at night or via headphone ..... but i wouldnt beg Lasse for a profile. I´d be cool, sure, he has an awesome pretty unique tone, but i´d rather take the long road to get a good sound myself instead of taking the shortcut.

I dunno guys. Right now it seems like hype just like the Axe-Fx hype back in the day. People are in the honey moon phase with their Kempers and that Unearth guys just called the weird profiling sounds "awesome". I dunno... I'm not sold. Some of the sounds I've heard f.ex. Ola's metal song sounded very nasally/digital to me, almost like there was a tube screamer with the tone knob on 10.

1) I can get a closer matched tone with match EQ since there's no lacking bass in my patches
2) my match EQ method is free and I also share it for free and don't try to rip people off
3) I can make a video just like this with match EQ that's equally convincing

Both the Axe-II with it's tone matching and Kemper's profiling are maybe a more sophisticated match EQ process... though I'm not even sure if it's anything more than just match EQ.

The Kemper creates the profile via dynamic convolution, much like Nebula, in that it captures samples at discrete levels of amplitude (as well as the necessary frequencies - in this case, the ones needed for reproducing the tone of an amp).

I would estimate that the Axefx is only duplicating the frequency response, and there is no dynamics processing involved in the "tone matching." I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cliff was downplaying the necessity of dynamic convolution, and I would assume it's probably because there's no way his 300Mhz Tiger Sharc DSP could possibly handle it...

I dunno guys. Right now it seems like hype just like the Axe-Fx hype back in the day. People are in the honey moon phase with their Kempers and that Unearth guys just called the weird profiling sounds "awesome". I dunno... I'm not sold. Some of the sounds I've heard f.ex. Ola's metal song sounded very nasally/digital to me, almost like there was a tube screamer with the tone knob on 10.

1) I can get a closer matched tone with match EQ since there's no lacking bass in my patches
2) my match EQ method is free and I also share it for free and don't try to rip people off

Both the Axe-II with it's tone matching and Kemper's profiling are maybe a more sophisticated match EQ process... though I'm not even sure if it's anything more than just match EQ.

Your match EQ technique doesn't capture the nature of a guitar preamp. It only imparts an EQ curve on an existing signal to get a similar tone. It's not even in the same ballpark as to the amount of stuff that is going on inside the Kemper.

Match EQ is making a copy of the pickups and guitars tone aswell though so your not solely replicating an amp + cab. It also somewhat models the players picking dynamics and room reverbs so none of these can be separated.

I'm curious to see Fractal's take on this and how well their Match EQ works in the next update.

It's not even in the same ballpark as to the amount of stuff that is going on inside the Kemper.

This is something none of us really knows. Kemper isn't even a guitar player himself. The dynamic side of the Kemper is cool though... not that it really matters though. And about different preamps... if Axe-Fx is as good as people say it is then tell me why all the amp sims sound almost identical when played through the same Redwirez IR. (this video was made by me)

And I wasn't talking about match EQing other peoples guitar tones. I was talking about going in the studio with a mic'ed up cab and amp. Then splitting the DI'd guitar into the real amp and one into f.ex. the TH2 with a patch that has the same amount of gain. Record the exactly same riff so that you have the exactly same take in both tracks. Match EQ and I'm 100% confident I'll sound as close as the Kemper does. Actually I can promise that my way doesn't lack in the low register like the Kemper does. And this isn't match EQing the pickups/guitar since both the real amp and TH2 were played with the same guitar.

I can match EQ a Rectifier to sound like a JCM800 if the gain is similar. It really is that simple.

Well... I guess I'll have to give you guys some proof... keep waiting for the video example! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kemper creates the profile via dynamic convolution, much like Nebula, in that it captures samples at discrete levels of amplitude (as well as the necessary frequencies - in this case, the ones needed for reproducing the tone of an amp).

I would estimate that the Axefx is only duplicating the frequency response, and there is no dynamics processing involved in the "tone matching." I seem to remember reading somewhere that Cliff was downplaying the necessity of dynamic convolution, and I would assume it's probably because there's no way his 300Mhz Tiger Sharc DSP could possibly handle it...

I'm not sure where you got your information, but this entire post is completely wrong. First of all, the Kemper does not use dynamic convolution (source: Kemper FAQ page)

Kemper Amps said:
Initially, we focussed our attention on existing and well-documented techniques, most of which fall under the heading “Dynamic Convolution”. Even though these approaches seemed very promising at first glance, and certainly useful for recreating simple, soft distortion circuits, they were by no means adequate for complex guitar amplifiers with heavy distortion. Reality has shown that no other company has managed to create a profiling amp by these methods so far.

Also, the Kemper Profiling Amp is running a single 400 MHz Freescale CPU (source: Christoph Kemper interview), whereas the Fractal Audio "...Axe-Fx II features two (count 'em) 600 MHz dual-core Analog Devices TigerSHARC™ Digital Signal Processors working in tandem." (source: Axe FX II Owner's Manual.)

My guess is that the Kemper's profiling method matches parameters of its own internal amp models based upon data it receives during profiling. It also EQ matches the cabinet. Word has it that similar functionality is coming to the Axe FX II in a forthcoming firmware update (amp/tone profiling that is, obviously the Axe FX II can already capture and utilize cabinet IRs.)

Anyway, we can all debate for days about the relative merits of both devices (they are both awesome!) but I just wanted to make sure we stick to the facts.

Kazrog thanks for clearing that up seems like a lot of conclusions are being drawn about both units . I like bits of what I have heard from the KPA but the reaction so far is a little ott . A few months from now the lay of the land could look a little different .