Roy Khan's condition?

eighteez

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2010
I was a bit surprised to not see ANY updates on Roy's condition after the initial tweets and links regarding him flying home to Norway...

Anyone know anything?

We missed ya Roy!

The Tech that I had breakfast with, said he couldn't discuss it. But to not worry because the tour would be rescheduled. So it's obviously not something that will sideline him for other 6 months (that was the timeframe he gave).

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but Jay Nedry (owner of Jaxx) sent out an e-mail last week (while we were all at ProgPower - just saw it today when I got back to checking e-mail), briefly explaining the situation with Kamelot canceling their tour and the changes to the show schedule at Jaxx. In that e-mail, Jay referred to Roy's condition as a "Neurological disorder." Here is most of the e-mail (what pertains to this situation):

[...] in light of what has happened with the Kamelot show on Saturday. Kamelot is another longtime Jaxx band that always sells out and this show was no exception. Tuesday night I was informed that the singer has some type of Neurological disorder that is life threatening and now can't tour. The replacement singer, also from Norway, didn't work out so now no show at Jaxx and no tour. They prepaid everything, permits, visas, tour bus, crew, the whole shebang. Sound stage for rehearsals, new gear etc., and now have no way to cover those expenses. It gets worse, Leave's Eyes from Germany and Blackguard from Canada, the 2 opening acts for the tour, did the same thing expense wise. They flew in to Miami on Tuesday, picked up their bus, and headed to Atlanta for Prog Power and the start of the tour. Only to find out there is no tour and they are broke and 4000 miles from home. After having been in the same situation with the Roadducks countless times (one of the hazards of touring) I am trying to help them and do the right thing. So Leave's Eyes and Blackguard along with Cypher Lock will perform on Saturday with a 10 dollar cover. I know you are disappointed about Kamelot. But the reason the show sold all 500 tickets was 'cause you folks are true fans with allot of you coming in from bumfuck etc.. So please help these bands out and attend. Trust me, Jaxx needs the money too. I apologize to those who made extensive travel plans but put yourself in the place of the bands involved. At least you can drive home. These guys are between a rock and a hard place with 4000 miles and an Ocean to cross. Kamelot will find another singer and reschedule asap. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Like I said, not completely sure how accurate this is, but either way I hope Roy will be ok and that Kamelot will find a way to work through this challenging time, hopefully with Roy moving forward with the rest of the band.

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but Jay Nedry (owner of Jaxx) sent out an e-mail last week (while we were all at ProgPower - just saw it today when I got back to checking e-mail), briefly explaining the situation with Kamelot canceling their tour and the changes to the show schedule at Jaxx. In that e-mail, Jay referred to Roy's condition as a "Neurological disorder." Here is most of the e-mail (what pertains to this situation):

Like I said, not completely sure how accurate this is, but either way I hope Roy will be ok and that Kamelot will find a way to work through this challenging time, hopefully with Roy moving forward with the rest of the band.

Wow I hope Roy is OK. If it is in fact some type of neurological disorder hopefully it's nothing too serious, but generally that's not a good sign.

Wow I hope Roy is OK. If it is in fact some type of neurological disorder hopefully it's nothing too serious, but generally that's not a good sign.

No, that's not a good sign at all. I doubt it's anything but a neurological disorder though. If the promoter said that and was incorrect, that could result in some major trouble I'm thinking.

What does that press release mean "the replacement singer didn't work out"? From what I saw the replacement singer did just fine. In fact it was awesome.

What does that press release mean "the replacement singer didn't work out"? From what I saw the replacement singer did just fine. In fact it was awesome.
Yea, and what about the part, "Kamelot will find another singer and reschedule." ? Seems that was a hastily scribed announcement and clearly not 100% accurate.

Yea, and what about the part, "Kamelot will find another singer and reschedule." ? Seems that was a hastily scribed announcement and clearly not 100% accurate.

Also the part about Leves Eyes and Blackguard arriving in Fl and finding out the tour was cancelled. In my opinion the only part that was accurate was the part about JAXX needing the money hehehehehehe.

Indeed Michael did a stellar job, but you have to remember, they needed to make a snap decision and inform promoters and clubs ahead of time, giving them enough time to cover the nights and keep good relationships with them, perhaps they acted too quickly.

Also you need to remember that we didn't see the rehearsals, and we can't account for the effect of the prog power energy and crowd to raise a band to their best, trust me, this crowd brings out your best when your in front of them, there is a magick connection!

Indeed Michael did a stellar job, but you have to remember, they needed to make a snap decision and inform promoters and clubs ahead of time, giving them enough time to cover the nights and keep good relationships with them, perhaps they acted too quickly.

Also you need to remember that we didn't see the rehearsals, and we can't account for the effect of the prog power energy and crowd to raise a band to their best, trust me, this crowd brings out your best when your in front of them, there is a magick connection!

Or maybe they were talking about a different singer entirely, or even possibly that Erikssen couldn't do the tour for whatever reason. All manner of things are possible.

But... I don't care. I want to know what's going on with Khan, not what precisely happened with the tour.

In my opinion the only part that was accurate was the part about JAXX needing the money hehehehehehe.

I can't believe that Leaves Eyes' and Blackguard didn't know the tour was cancelled before they arrived. I think Jay was giving people a line of BS.

Normally I respect Jay for all he does with Jaxx, but I think he's really embellishing this a bit much.

or even possibly that Erikssen couldn't do the tour for whatever reason.

That's what I took it as. Regardless though if this statement is not truthful, that's really not cool. At the end of the day all the promoter really needed to say was that Roy and Michael couldn't do it, Kamelot had to cancel, Leave's Eyes and Blackguard will continue on with the tour, etc.

A different point of view:

Michael is probably a working guy. Lots of these bands are working guys. Hell, the road crew, the fans, the vendors...

Mikey probably cannot get WEEKS of time off his day job to spontaneously go on tour. Unless he does rock n roll as his bread and butter, he probably couldn't afford the time to jump away for a full tour without planning it in advance.

All I can say based on a conversation I had with one of the parties involved, it seems to me that it wasn't a matter of Mike being able to do the tour or not. Then again, who knows...

Erikson was awesome and I'm sure he'd be awesome on the tour. But if Kamelot's core fanbase rebelled, there's not much Kamelot can do but cancel the tour. The reaction was pretty negative.

I have a question regarding this whole thing. Perhaps Glenn, Nathan or other guys involved in promoting a show and/or managing a band can answer this:

Taking the Kamelot tour case as an example, lets say the promoter of the show in Bumblefuck, AZ sees that pre sales haven't been that strong, but he knows there's a chance that people will show up at the door - could he say "I decided not to have the show anymore because I don't think people will come up to see Kamelot without Roy" ?

I just want to understand it a bit better. I wanna know if promoters can be blamed at all for the tour cancellation in this particular case.

I have a question regarding this whole thing. Perhaps Glenn, Nathan or other guys involved in promoting a show and/or managing a band can answer this:

Taking the Kamelot tour case as an example, lets say the promoter of the show in Bumblefuck, AZ sees that pre sales haven't been that strong, but he knows there's a chance that people will show up at the door - could he say "I decided not to have the show anymore because I don't think people will come up to see Kamelot without Roy" ?

I just want to understand it a bit better. I wanna know if promoters can be blamed at all for the tour cancellation in this particular case.

This was actually something that I was thinking about at the time of the cancellation. I found it odd initially when they said they would tour with Michael and then they cancelled the tour just a few days after that. When that happened though, I had a hunch that maybe a number of the pre-sales throughout most of the tour were not what they wanted it to be (whether it be the promoter or Kamelot) and them thinking that if it's not at a good number currently, they probably cancelled it thinking that there probably wouldn't be that many day-of sales. The question though as you mentioned Angra is whether this was the promoter pressuring them into cancelling or Kamelot tried to seek out the numbers beforehand.