Roy Khan's condition?

I'm not sure how Khan's wardrobe affect his singing, but it's interesting that you mention it. I've been to hundreds of shows in my life, but hands down the *hottest* I've ever been was at a Kamelot show here in Phoenix a couple years back. It was miserable; I was just completely drenched the entire show (but the band was so great that it was more than worth it). But the thing that amazed me was that even in that stifling sweatbox of a club, Khan was parading around in his giant heavy coat and gloves and leather pants and boots....it seemed insane. I would have had heatstroke if I had been wearing what he was.

As for your Thom Youngblood comments, I have to disagree. With each subsequent album, I am actually more impressed with his talent and his penchant for coming up with really memorable solos...I think he's one of the more underrated guitarists in the biz.

I know for a fact that Khan likes it to be really hot on stage, coupled with his wearing of the clothing/jackets that he does, it helps his vocal cords stay warm. He was DRENCHED here at Station 4 and when he was asked about it, he gave that as a reasoning. Kind of why I hate staying with Lance in his room at progpower during years where he is performing... he won't let me turn the AC on in the room... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Epica and Nightwish tour 3-4 times more than Kamelot, consistently.

Those weren't without consequence, though -- remember Simone's MRSA being exacerbated and her being unable to tour for a while, and the entire last week of one of Nightwish's U.S. legs being cancelled due to Anette's illness?

Those weren't without consequence, though -- remember Simone's MRSA being exacerbated and her being unable to tour for a while, and the entire last week of one of Nightwish's U.S. legs being cancelled due to Anette's illness?

Irrelevant comment: If I had a beer for every $10 I lost on Nightwish cancellations, I'd be inebriated for a week. Maybe more. I think they owe me a beer or two next time I see them. :loco:

Seriously, you can not compare one band's ability to tour at length with another's. Obviously, each vocalist, and any band member, is an individual human being with different physical abilities, immune systems, age factors, home life responsibilities etc. etc. I had noticed Khan seeming to diminish in vitality in the past couple years. I was hoping I was wrong. I think he should take a good long time to get back all his strength. As for Kamelot getting another singer, I think they can, but I hope they don't. Still, with a new album to sell they really need to tour NOW. Quite the dilemma.

Or the fact that there's been at least 3 Nightwish tours where the first 2-3 shows had to be canceled. First time was Visa issues and another was because workers in a Mexico airport didn't load half their equipment into the plane. I think Philly is usually the place hit by that as they're one of the first shows if not the first. Granted these aren't illness issues, but I don't think Nightwish has had a single US tour where at least 1 show doesn't get canceled.

Or the fact that there's been at least 3 Nightwish tours where the first 2-3 shows had to be canceled. First time was Visa issues and another was because workers in a Mexico airport didn't load half their equipment into the plane. I think Philly is usually the place hit by that as they're one of the first shows if not the first. Granted these aren't illness issues, but I don't think Nightwish has had a single US tour where at least 1 show doesn't get canceled.

On the Dark Passion Play world tour, Nightwish hit the US 4 times, On the first one, some of the first dates were cancelled due to, yes you got it VISA's being late. The Second was equipment being not loaded and shipped from Mexico. Third, some dates were cancelled due to Hurricane IKE, and then Anette's Illness. The fourth was a make-up tour for the dates missed, and a few added ones. Their 2004 Once tour had 2 US and 2 Canadian dates cancelled due to Visa's also. Visas, Weather, airline problems you can't always plan for, and for that matter Illness either.

Their 2004 Once tour had 2 US and 2 Canadian dates cancelled due to Visa's also. Visas, Weather, airline problems you can't always plan for, and for that matter Illness either.
Rescheduled. I had plans to take an awesome summer vacation in Toronto with my son before he went to basic training. Going in December instead of August was not nearly what I had planned. Getting stuck in a blizzard the entire way home was an added joy. :rolleyes:

Anette has had to cancel for illness, but NW definitely has had more than their share of other unforeseen calamities.

Hey, mitchgx,

Thank you for your input! I had a feeling Khan would mention the warmth factor when it comes to his wardrobe. As a singer, that kind of makes sense to me. However, I can't help but feel that his choice of clothing doesn't allow for very free movement, and I think that's crucial to vocal performance. Restrictive movement leads to restrictive breathing and quicker exhaustion, and Khan has proven that plenty of times in the past couple of years.

As for kamelotica, my statement about the amount of touring that Kamelot does probably isn't accurate. I don't know exactly how much Nightwish and Epica tour (mainly because I don't care for either band), and I had overlooked Sonata Arctica. The point I was trying to make is that Kamelot now tours more than ever, and that increase in the number of shows puts added strain on a singer. Without proper accomodations, that kind of touring takes its toll. Hell, it takes its toll WITH proper accomodations!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Hey, mitchgx,

Thank you for your input! I had a feeling Khan would mention the warmth factor when it comes to his wardrobe. As a singer, that kind of makes sense to me. However, I can't help but feel that his choice of clothing doesn't allow for very free movement, and I think that's crucial to vocal performance. Restrictive movement leads to restrictive breathing and quicker exhaustion, and Khan has proven that plenty of times in the past couple of years.

As for kamelotica, my statement about the amount of touring that Kamelot does probably isn't accurate. I don't know exactly how much Nightwish and Epica tour (mainly because I don't care for either band), and I had overlooked Sonata Arctica. The point I was trying to make is that Kamelot now tours more than ever, and that increase in the number of shows puts added strain on a singer. Without proper accomodations, that kind of touring takes its toll. Hell, it takes its toll WITH proper accomodations!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I guess I am still a bit disappointed that Khan pulled out of the tour, I had VIPs for the Jaxx show and I still wanted Kamelot to come with Michael from CM. btw- I just looked at Kamelot's touring from the past 2-3 years at Kamelot.com and not much at all. Not sure what you are looking at with them...? Sonata and Epica are touring 3 times more easily. As MatrinW mention, this article states that Khan is burned out...

http://www.ostlendingen.no/nyheter/elverum/brot-sammen-rett-for-turnestart-1.5618761

I'm not a musician but I can imagine most musicians would trade their stressy day jobs anytime. Anyway, I hope he finds the strength to reschedule the US dates. Until then I have some nice shows to see here in the area, Katatonia, Nevermore, Epica!!