Roy Khan's condition?

From a sales and tour standpoint, they not only pulled it off..they destroyed.

Having seen NW perform twice with Anette, I'd definitely agree. She was a little weak the first time, but the second show about a year later Anette was strong vocally and had great stage presence. It was a great show (although Marco singing Islander was the highlight for me). I have friends who even prefer NW with Anette over Tarja.

On topic: Here's hoping Khan recovers (primary) and is able to get back to performing live again soon (secondary)!

Really? You think Nightwish pulled it off?

I was gonna say something but Glenn beat me to it.

You *really*, *honestly* think that Nightwish did NOT pull it off?

Like... seriously? Have you gone mental? :lol: Sure the oldschool fans weren't happy, but as Glenn said, from a sales and popularity standpoint (and I quote) "they destroyed."

Thomas Youngblood's Facebook status yesterday read, "Planning new tour dates and stage design," so I'm assuming that Roy will be back in action soon and that the band will eventually be back on the road.

*crossing all applicable appendages*

Nightwish had a kind of media attention that Kamelot has never had and will never have. They managed to build up a massive hype and the announcement of their new vocalist was pretty much the biggest metal event of 2007. There is a huge difference between the two bands here. Kamelot is relatively successful in the metal scene, but they're not mainstream like Nightwish.

Urban Breed...new Kamelot frontman...

hmmm...

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, and would be quite awesome!

That said, I really really liked the performance from Jake, their backup singer, and would embrace a Kamelot change with open arms if he were to fill Khan's shoes. Just sayin'... :Spin:

It's all speculation anyway, thank goodness.

Kamelot without Khan is not Kamelot. They started gaining momentum about the time that Khan started getting more involved with the writing. Thats like saying that Dream Theater could go on after LaBrie. Maybe some people would embrace it, but it would NOT be the same band. The bands singer is its stamp of recognition

Nightwish had a kind of media attention that Kamelot has never had and will never have. They managed to build up a massive hype and the announcement of their new vocalist was pretty much the biggest metal event of 2007. There is a huge difference between the two bands here. Kamelot is relatively successful in the metal scene, but they're not mainstream like Nightwish.

Regardless of that, the whole point is that Nightwish did survive the chance of their most recognizable member. Nightwish is a bigger band, no doubt, but still.

If he's all business one really shouldn't interpret it as anything but exactly what it says.

When it's all business, that's exactly when you CAN'T take things at face value.

I can totally understand why Khan is burned out. As stated in plenty of previous posts, Kamelot has been consistently touring and recording since 1998, and each tour gets more extensive. I think that in the world of melodic heavy metal, the only band that tours more than Kamelot is Dream Theater. Though others may consider this debatable, I think that James LaBrie is more consistent with live performance. Though I don't doubt LaBrie's vocal abilities, I'm certain that one main reason for this is that Dream Theater can afford better tour accomodations. I understand that the members of Kamelot have mouths to feed, but I think that Thom has to realize that there's a limit to how far you can push a singer. It's nice that the band is giving Khan time to recover now, but perhaps it's too little, too late. Aside from the Khan fanboys, I think plenty of Kamelot fans would agree with me that the vocals have been suffering over the past three years of touring. I just think it's all coming to a head now.

On another note, I think another reason why Khan is suffering vocally is the wardrobe. To these eyes, when Khan is onstage, he looks physically uncomfortable in his Matrix-meets-Goth outfits. I've also noticed a decline in Thom's live performance over the years. I love Youngblood as a songwriter and guitarist, but I think he's become so obsessed with the band's image that it takes precedence over what really matters: the music.

That said, I hope that Khan finds peace of mind and comes back stronger than ever.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Kamelot without Khan is not Kamelot. They started gaining momentum about the time that Khan started getting more involved with the writing. Thats like saying that Dream Theater could go on after LaBrie. Maybe some people would embrace it, but it would NOT be the same band. The bands singer is its stamp of recognition

Huh? I'm a big fan of both bands, but since when has Labrie had much impact on the writing? Wrong analogy. The better comparison really is Halford. Priest tried to go on without him, but boy did the writing suffer when they did, not to mention they weren't nearly as popular.

The last thing I'll say on this subject is that if they are to replace Khan, they gotta get one hell of a guy. He has to be able to sing like the good Khan, if not better and he has to have the image. Good luck on that.

I can totally understand why Khan is burned out. As stated in plenty of previous posts, Kamelot has been consistently touring and recording since 1998, and each tour gets more extensive. I think that in the world of melodic heavy metal, the only band that tours more than Kamelot is Dream Theater. Though others may consider this debatable, I think that James LaBrie is more consistent with live performance. Though I don't doubt LaBrie's vocal abilities, I'm certain that one main reason for this is that Dream Theater can afford better tour accomodations. I understand that the members of Kamelot have mouths to feed, but I think that Thom has to realize that there's a limit to how far you can push a singer. It's nice that the band is giving Khan time to recover now, but perhaps it's too little, too late. Aside from the Khan fanboys, I think plenty of Kamelot fans would agree with me that the vocals have been suffering over the past three years of touring. I just think it's all coming to a head now.

On another note, I think another reason why Khan is suffering vocally is the wardrobe. To these eyes, when Khan is onstage, he looks physically uncomfortable in his Matrix-meets-Goth outfits. I've also noticed a decline in Thom's live performance over the years. I love Youngblood as a songwriter and guitarist, but I think he's become so obsessed with the band's image that it takes precedence over what really matters: the music.

That said, I hope that Khan finds peace of mind and comes back stronger than ever.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Epica and Nightwish tour 3-4 times more than Kamelot, consistently. Also my other favorite band is Sonata Artica, and they tour waaay more than Kamelot ever did. So I don't think your statement is accurate at all.

I'm not sure how Khan's wardrobe affect his singing, but it's interesting that you mention it. I've been to hundreds of shows in my life, but hands down the *hottest* I've ever been was at a Kamelot show here in Phoenix a couple years back. It was miserable; I was just completely drenched the entire show (but the band was so great that it was more than worth it). But the thing that amazed me was that even in that stifling sweatbox of a club, Khan was parading around in his giant heavy coat and gloves and leather pants and boots....it seemed insane. I would have had heatstroke if I had been wearing what he was.

As for your Thom Youngblood comments, I have to disagree. With each subsequent album, I am actually more impressed with his talent and his penchant for coming up with really memorable solos...I think he's one of the more underrated guitarists in the biz.

Epica and Nightwish tour 3-4 times more than Kamelot, consistently. Also my other favorite band is Sonata Artica, and they tour waaay more than Kamelot ever did. So I don't think your statement is accurate at all.

So you are saying if 1 band can tour a lot without this happening that every band on the planet must be able to do the same thing???
How is that fair thinking???
Perhaps the lead singers of the bands you mentioned are in better shape than Khan.Perhaps their voices are stronger and can survive relentless touring better.My point is not all singers have the same strengths so don't be so quick to disregard his statement